quick feedback on Evans EC2 frosty coated heads please..

aydee

Platinum Member

too complicated & difficult to explain the urgency but would appreciate feeback on these heads?

thanks..

I've used them, and I like them, but I like the clear ones better. The coating adds a little more attack and reduces the sustain a little more than I like.

I have first-generation EC2 Coateds on my toms, I bought them back in 2007 and then put the drums in storage until just recently. As a result they have maybe 4-5 months actual play time on them.

I get plenty of sustain but the attack seems to dominate at low tunings. Recently I got a little tired of the somewhat choked sound and peeled the foil rings off the bottom; I got a somewhat more open sound, closer to a G2 but with a little less overtone. But I would imagine that does it for whatever warranty I might have got.

On the CD I recorded with these heads on my toms, the toms sound throaty and full, but with a lot of attack. Here's probably the best representative song from that CD. The resos are stock Yamahas. Miked with one of those inexpensive CAD mike kits.

Attachments

• 03 Too Easy aug.mp3
    9.3 MB · Views: 96
Thanks for the heads up ( pun intended ), Al and Winston! Tis' as I suspected, a little too controlled for my immediate need.

Problem is, I'm looking for a G2 clear sound and am willing to go G2 coated as well for a series of gigs coming up and my go to guy just has the frosted in stock ..

Al, nice work on the song.. reminds me of early Police and and an 80s band called the Fixx.. and thank you very much for posting a sample. It saved me some bucks! : )

Last edited:
Al, nice work on the song.. reminds me of early Police and and an 80s band called the Fixx.. and thank you very much for posting a sample. It saved me come bucks! : )

Both of whom were early influences... nice to see that my playing is so attributable! Thanks for the comments, and glad to help.

Back