Remo Vintage Emperors vs. Remo Smooth White Emperors

unfunkyfooted

Silver Member
i´m looking for the Punchiest, Fattest, Disco Inflected, Heart ¨Straight On¨ bass drum having-est, Chic snare drum having-est, Charlie Watts snare cracking-est, Triumph´s ¨Lay It On The Line¨ Thunder dropping--est heads available for a for a set of 2008 Tama Imps (Piano Black).

did i mention for FAT and PUNCHY 70s´s Type Sound ? like Kenny Jones in the Who. like Martin Chambers in 1984.

i´ve been wanting to try the Smooth Whites...but which would better give me what i´m looking for ? and are the Vintage Emperors Smooth White or Coated ?

would G2s over G1s be a worthy substitution ?

any other suggestions would be gratefully accepted.

If I was after that sound, I'd be going for the vintage Emps. I don't have a hell of a lot of experience with smooth whites, but from the limited exposure I've had they sounded much closer to a clear head than a coated one to my ear. At the end of the day, they're the same thickness but if it were me chasing that quintessential 70's sound, the vintage Emp would get the call up.

Perhaps buy one of each in the same size. Try it on a drum and see which one tickles your fancy.....keep the other as a spare.

Those heads are all just .... the standard heads ... when I think Phat 70's sound, I think of cats duct/race taping their heads, taping a wallet to their snare.​
For a "cleaner" look, I'd try a Powerstroke 3 batter Ambassador reso ....​

Fat and punchy? Disco? Get pinstripes. Those were invented in 1973.

Vintage E's are coated. They have character and resonate, though not as much as A's and Vintage A's. So if you want a bit more character, go for a coated head. They have more overtones and are unmuffled.

That "fat and punch" you are looking for is void of overtones, hence a muffled head like pinstripe. But it also has to do with how you play the drum.

Gil More used concert toms and Black Dots.
Martin Chambers has used Coateds, Clears, Silver Dot and Black Dots, Pinstripes....
I think in '84 he had the 4 pc. Sonor kit with concert toms (with that cool ass rack), which I think had Pinstripes.
The kit before the Sonor was a power tom Ludwig kit with Silver Dots.

Charlie Watts uses Black dots on the toms and bass drum.

Mike Derosier used Coated Emps top, Coated Amb bottoms, with felt strips on the bass drum (think Bonham).
They probably made him stuff the bass drum (tape on toms) for that session--I remember reading he was pissed because the producers always wanted him to have that "Mick Fleetwood sound". He's said he put a gong mallet head on his pedal for Barracuda...which of course they freaked out over & loved...

Tony Thompson used to have a Black Dot on his snare, but I don't know if it was on the Chic recordings. There was probably a tissue with tape over it for muffling though.

Fat and punchy? Disco? Get pinstripes. Those were invented in 1973.

Vintage E's are coated. They have character and resonate, though not as much as A's and Vintage A's. So if you want a bit more character, go for a coated head. They have more overtones and are unmuffled.

That "fat and punch" you are looking for is void of overtones, hence a muffled head like pinstripe. But it also has to do with how you play the drum.

Yes, pinstripes are awesome. Ebony pinstripes are punchier in my opinion. Some say they are even too punchy

Yes, pinstripes are awesome. Ebony pinstripes are punchier in my opinion. Some say they are even too punchy

i found Ebony Pins to have too much attack (that patent leather ¨coating¨ for lack of a better word) and they were kind of dull and didn´t project much. but i should probably try them again, now that my ear is a little better.

thanks.

Gil More used concert toms and Black Dots.
Martin Chambers has used Coateds, Clears, Silver Dot and Black Dots, Pinstripes....
I think in '84 he had the 4 pc. Sonor kit with concert toms (with that cool ass rack), which I think had Pinstripes.
The kit before the Sonor was a power tom Ludwig kit with Silver Dots.

Charlie Watts uses Black dots on the toms and bass drum.

Mike Derosier used Coated Emps top, Coated Amb bottoms, with felt strips on the bass drum (think Bonham).
They probably made him stuff the bass drum (tape on toms) for that session--I remember reading he was pissed because the producers always wanted him to have that "Mick Fleetwood sound". He's said he put a gong mallet head on his pedal for Barracuda...which of course they freaked out over & loved...

Tony Thompson used to have a Black Dot on his snare, but I don't know if it was on the Chic recordings. There was probably a tissue with tape over it for muffling though.

Bless You, kind sir. this is the type of info i´ve been looking for. it´s hard to find out what equipment is being used on the web. if so, i´ve very rarely found it. i was about to (and still am) gonna raid my drummers vintage stash of drummer magazines for this sort of info.

Black Dots and Silver Dots are Ludwig heads ?

i´ve also recently come to appreciate Mick Fleetwoods sound. it´s pretty much exactly what i´m looking for. do you have any info on his equipment ?

thanks.

Bless You, kind sir. this is the type of info i´ve been looking for. it´s hard to find out what equipment is being used on the web. if so, i´ve very rarely found it. i was about to (and still am) gonna raid my drummers vintage stash of drummer magazines for this sort of info.

Black Dots and Silver Dots are Ludwig heads ?

i´ve also recently come to appreciate Mick Fleetwoods sound. it´s pretty much exactly what i´m looking for. do you have any info on his equipment ?

thanks.

Blackdots = Remo
Silver Dots = Ludwig

Check these out...I have personally used them on several recording sessions and was very pleased with the results. I am currently using these heads on the toms I use for orchestral applications...they are EXACTLY the sound you are looking for.

Performance II™: A clear, two ply head manufactured with Aquarian’s Vacuum Process™ which eliminates air bubbles and wrinkles between the two plies. Remember that big, fat, low tom tom sound you heard on the classic rock and roll records? The sound that you could never get on your own? Now you can! Performance II™ drumheads were designed for “loose” tuning to get the depth and punch with no “over-ring”. This drumhead is sealed around the edge to create that really deep sound on the tom toms.

Check these out...I have personally used them on several recording sessions and was very pleased with the results. I am currently using these heads on the toms I use for orchestral applications...they are EXACTLY the sound you are looking for.

Performance II™: A clear, two ply head manufactured with Aquarian’s Vacuum Process™ which eliminates air bubbles and wrinkles between the two plies. Remember that big, fat, low tom tom sound you heard on the classic rock and roll records? The sound that you could never get on your own? Now you can! Performance II™ drumheads were designed for “loose” tuning to get the depth and punch with no “over-ring”. This drumhead is sealed around the edge to create that really deep sound on the tom toms.

yep.......................

hmmm i saw a set of Response II´s that sounded great, but were a little too dead. how do the Performance II´s compare to the Response IIs and Evans Hydraulics ?

The best way to describe the Performance II heads would be to compare them to the sound of a super kick bass drum head for toms. They are fairly "dead" sounding heads but they still provide a warm tone as opposed to a "splatt" tone you get from hydraulics or some of the other extra muffled head options. If you have ever played on a SuperKick from Aquarian you would be familiar with this sound...it's a very warm "Thump" as opposed to an attack heavy "Splatt".

To my ears, this is without a doubt the sound you have described as hoping to achieve. Good luck in your quest for that ever ellusive "perfect" sound.

The best way to describe the Performance II heads would be to compare them to the sound of a super kick bass drum head for toms. They are fairly "dead" sounding heads but they still provide a warm tone as opposed to a "splatt" tone you get from hydraulics or some of the other extra muffled head options. If you have ever played on a SuperKick from Aquarian you would be familiar with this sound...it's a very warm "Thump" as opposed to an attack heavy "Splatt".

To my ears, this is without a doubt the sound you have described as hoping to achieve. Good luck in your quest for that ever ellusive "perfect" sound.

i think i must try these. thank you so much.

Hope they work out for you. If not, It's another tool in the arsonal. It can never hurt to know how to achieve genre specific sounds...you never know when this stuff pops up in a gigging situation...I have more drum heads that are so far removed from my personal preferences but are well suited for specific musical aplications.

the majority of those fat sounds in 70's recordings were gotten from Remo black dots, and probably some tape. They were even used a lot on snares, too, i.e. Watts, Williams, Moore, Derosier.

Back