Practice Pads

Re: Practice Pads?

matt949 said:
I am going to purcahse a practice pad probably this weekend and the only question i have is which pads hold up the longest?
only brads i know are reel feel, remo, and vic firth. is a there any other i should look at instead?
I swear by Vic, their rubber is great!
DPS

DrPowerStroke said:
I swear by Vic, their rubber is great!
DPS

I love my VIc Firth as well, great feel to it.

I did have a real feel for about 8 years and never had a problem with it either, but if I'm not mistaken the Vic Firth is slightly less expensive.

Haha!!!Im a scab!!i didnt bother buyin a pad....I made my own...got a table mat an stuck a mouse mat to it,with the underside of the mouse-mat facing out....it may not have a brand name but it works really well!!!

Re: Practice pads...Real feel???

pinkdaffodil said:
Which one is it that you use????

(sorry about the delay in reply) Its an all black cheap "Percussion" one. It takes a beating. Iv had it for 5 years now and its shown little wear only marks. I use it alot and it has proved to get my hands quicker and prepared me more for playing on the kit.

I tried to attach a pic but it was to big file. If you desperatly want a picture of it id be happy to email one or whatever...

Re: Practice pads...Real feel???

Hey Pink

I know what you mean about rubber pads and the excessive rebound--However, this is not a bad thing if your still training your hands to play utilizing stick rebound. If you feel your comfortable with rebound check out a pad made by Sabian called the Quiet Touch-- it really replicates the feel of a snare drum and it is tunable--not for sound but for tension to control rebound--it even has the diameter of a snare--the best part is that it has vibration sensitive feet and is designed to be placed on a snare drum to get the snare sound without the volume.

Pete

All those different Practice Pads

I have been spending alot of time lately with my practice pads. I've noticed a huge improvement in my stick control and speed executing my chops. I've tried the pillow exercises but did not like them, for they left my hands aching and cramped. The best way I've been able to gain speed and control is to, Frist practice with my " Porto Practice Pad", made by W.L.F. Drum Company, yes it's ancient, mine dates back to the 60's, but it's a very thick piece of rubber that gives you minimal rebound without straining your hands. Then moving to a harder pad that has better responce. Wow the result's for me have been great.

I don't know if anyone makes a soft rubber pad like the "Porto" any more? There are so many Practice Pads out there today, and the cost of a good pad is crazy. I have to ask, is it realy worth $40.00 for a pad of rubber. I've played the "HQ Reel Feel" at the local stores and liked the feel of that pad the most of all the ones I've tried. But the thing is that real drums with real heads don't feel the same as a great practice pad. Maybe my snare that's cranked up tight, but the tom's don't.

So the Million Dollar Question is, If speed and crontrol is gained from using softer pads that make your hands build endurance, or for you pillow beaters, using pillows for strength building, " Is using super responsive practice pads helping us, or giving us a false sence of feel to our practice "? Yes nothing is better than playing the real thing, our real drums, but shelling out lots of money for a pad, or even the latest craze of practice pad sets that are ridiculously priced, seems to be more of a way for marketing companies to make more money from us starving drummer's.

Sorry for rambling.

Re: All those different Practice Pads

Well a drum feels more like a practice pad than a pillow, so using the pad is only going to help teach the muscle groups in your fingers, hands, wrists, and arms.

hi
I use these practice pads that I got from Gear4music.com
http://www.gear4music.com/index.php?sec=proddetails&pcode=SDP6
and they are quite good! except that you dont get any cymbal pads and I still dont get how you put the bass drum pad on!
but they are pretty good.
In my local drum shop. you can get one of them snare practice pads(bit like them real feel pads,) for £18 or the smaller 6" one for £11.

IMHO i feel that rubber bouncy pads are like pampering your hands...and when you get on a real set...you fumble.That always happen to me.

I recommend the e-pad...not too bouncy...not too soft...defintely faster and smoother once on drumset...try it =D

I recenently purchased a good old Billy Hydes rubber practice pad. I too agree that the bounce is too much. I was practicing my parradiddles today on the practice pad at about 120bpm, then decided to give it a go on the actual snare drum. Needless to say, I struggled big time. The bounce off the snare just doesn't feel the same.

I am often away from my set, for travelling purposes, and I also spend a lot of time on the practice pad. I used to carry a Vic Firth rubber pad, but I never liked the feel of it. I recently bought a Roland RMP-3 practice pad, and I like it very much.

The remo mesh head's feel is much better than the rubber pad, and you can adjust its tension. You get a built-in metronome, and you can use a headset which gives you both the sound of the metronome and the plain sound of the stick.

Very expensive, however, for a practice pad, as for all Roland products.

practice pad gone dead?

I'm just wondering how often (if ever) others replace, or get a new practice pad. I've had my current one (Real Feel) for about three years. I have a sneaking suspicion that the rubber is slllooowwwwlllyyy getting a bit harder. Not helped in the least by my using it as a drinks coaster, sitting in the sun (I like to practice poolside), etc.

Logic suggests that a pad might "crap out" after a while, although not nearly as soon as a batter side head. Thoughts? Experiences? Am I being a*al?

Re: practice pad gone dead?

Yeah...I rarely leave it out for long, but UV's do have their way with things.

Practice pads

What pad,if any,are you guys using?I have a small Stagg one and am thinking of upgrading,if you will.Its so small that its bugging me.I tried to do the Weckl DoubleStroke Technique today and can barely fit 1 sticks motion on it.

Re: Practice pads

I use a double sided Real Reel Practice Pad. It is the bigger version. I dont know the correct size but I think it is either a 12 or 14 inch. It is big enough for all three snares in my drumline to warm up on with more than enough space.

I have the Reel Feel too. Great pad. I usually only use the rubber bouncy side. I should switch it more often.

I have the HQ Reel Feel (12") I love it. It has a much nicer feel and is quieter (to me) than the Vic Firth.

Back