song memory

Larry

"Uncle Larry"
So I'm doing work around the house yesterday, listening to an old collection of my favorite songs, most of which are 20 30 40 plus years old...And it occurs to me that I remember every word, every musical nuance, all my favorite parts...everything, crystal clear. But like a lot of people I can't remember what I did 3 days ago. How is it that I have amazing memory for songs and lousy memory for other things? It's like I have a special part of my brain just for music storage that works infinitely better than my normal memory function. Can anyone relate to this?

Man if i could apply my song memory to my normal memory, heck, there'd be no stopping me...I could be a card counter in Vegas and be rolling in dough.....

In response to Larryace's orignal post:

I have done the same thing, except instead of songs from 30 years ago, it was more like 3 years ago. lol
But, its the same concept.
Maybe the songs were once important to us?
People usually remember things that are important to us.
Example: a mother remembers her daughters birthday, by heart.

It should be the same thing.

So I'm doing work around the house yesterday, listening to an old collection of my favorite songs, most of which are 20 30 40 plus years old...And it occurs to me that I remember every word, every musical nuance, all my favorite parts...everything, crystal clear. But like a lot of people I can't remember what I did 3 days ago. How is it that I have amazing memory for songs and lousy memory for other things? It's like I have a special part of my brain just for music storage that works infinitely better than my normal memory function. Can anyone relate to this?
Same here. I can name all Metallica, Maiden and Who albums and tell you all the past and present members of those bands. It just sticks in my head but I can't remember how to do certain maths problems.

yeah, I can relate. I usually remember songs I heard 25 years ago and not since, and remember most all of the 100+ songs I've played on in the recording studio almost note for note..However, I can't remember to stop and fill the car up on the way home.

extremely embarrasing, but who cares its the internet, but i was in my basement this one time, and i really had to go to the bathroom. once i got up there i drank some water then walked backed down....once i got down there i realized i just forgot to do what i came up there to do!!! go to the bathroom.....and i can remember a lot of godsmack songs that i havnt heard in a while, like since my childhood. all the drum parts too...

Probably the way most people learn is by concentration and through repetition. These two things we do when we like something and want to learn it e.g. song lyrics or a drum pattern. While most of us remember lyrics to favorite songs, I don't know anyone who can remember exactly how many times they've heard the song.

The fact that your listening to them is refreshing your memory giving the illusion that you have it memorized. I bet you couldnt recite every note and drum part without listening to it as you go along. You would remember what you ate for breakfast 3 days ago if you were watching a recording of it.

The fact that your listening to them is refreshing your memory giving the illusion that you have it memorized. I bet you couldnt recite every note and drum part without listening to it as you go along. You would remember what you ate for breakfast 3 days ago if you were watching a recording of it.

Exactly. Remembering music is easier because the brain detects the current musical values, chord progressions etc. then remembers the next step.

Back