Drum hard case

Henke90s

I will probably buy a set of cases for my drums (hard cases), now...I cant afford the SKBs even tho they are very nice (i have the skb cymbal case) Ive looked around on the net and found 4 pc case sets of Gator and hardcase™. The gator are cheaper but iam not sure about the quality and what difference there is between the Gators and Hardcase™. Do you guys know any other hard case brands or do you own Gators or Hardcase™ and what are your thoughts about them?

Really hard to spend big money on nothing more than a box, until you wreck something, or it falls out the back of the truck on the pavement. Then, its too late.
Hardcase are good but not commonly available in the USA
Humes and Burg Enduros are great.
SKB is great.
I dont even know if Impact is still around, but their gray line was crap ten years ago, dont bother.
It only takes one accident to make you regret cases.

I dropped a Roland FP3 piano out the back of a truck once, tail gate popped, out it went and skidded to a stop.

Road Ready does build good cases. Saved me 1500 bucks.

I've owned all three: SKB, Humes&Berg Enduro, and Gators. They're all good. I have the Gators now and those are nice and strong. Basically the same tough plastic material used on all three. I drive an open bed pickup everywhere so hard cases are a must. I've dragged mine through the rain and cold and the cases certainly hold up.

I see you're in Europe....Hardcase should be widely available (I believe they're made in the UK). They are the bomb. Can't recommend them highly enough.

I see you're in Europe....Hardcase should be widely available (I believe they're made in the UK). They are the bomb. Can't recommend them highly enough.

Thats correct. SKBs and Hardcase have a pretty similar price range. SKB is a little more expensive. But i dunno, ill guess ill pick the cheapest one. Theres sets of cases and there is case by case...so i have some decisions. Would a 12x9" tom fit in a 12x8" case?

yeah hardcase are sick. I have a cymbal case from them and the thing is super strong.
I personally use protection racket cases for my drums, but I always keep my cymbals in a hardcase.

Would a 12x9" tom fit in a 12x8" case?

I own 4 snare cases, so I'm not totally sure about the tom case, but the snare cases easily hold my snares between 5" to 6.5" (I'm gonna suggest they'd hold a deeper snare than that too).

Given the "telescopic" lid, I personally think it would, but your best bet would be to take the tom into a store and try it out.

I use Hardcases for my drums and I like the stacking feature. I use SKB for my hardware and H&B for my cymbals. If you can get Hardcase where you are, get them, Hardcase are very affordable and high quality protection for drums. I personally like SKB for hardware cases because they are a little stiffer and have better wheels and handles than Hardcase. I used to have a Hardcase cymbal case and I didn't like how the center of the case wobbled over the cymbals but I am told the new generation of Hardcase cymbal cases are different.

I use Hardcases for my drums and I like the stacking feature. I use SKB for my hardware and H&B for my cymbals. If you can get Hardcase where you are, get them, Hardcase are very affordable and high quality protection for drums. I personally like SKB for hardware cases because they are a little stiffer and have better wheels and handles than Hardcase. I used to have a Hardcase cymbal case and I didn't like how the center of the case wobbled over the cymbals but I am told the new generation of Hardcase cymbal cases are different.

The cymbal case is great. No "wobble" in the middle. I picked up a "ProCym" case on eBay for a pretty good price. I actually just looked in it a moment ago (as I only use it for road gigs) & realised that someone has left their 20" paiste rude china in there by mistake. Hardcase have brought me good luck!

Btw what's this "stacking" feature you speak of, would it save me space in a van?

Btw what's this "stacking" feature you speak of, would it save me space in a van?

The molded lids (and bottom of the cases) enable them to stack without sliding around.....the moldings allow one case to "lock into" another case when they are stacked (think Lego). SKB have a similar feature.

It's worth noting that it's not totally locked in securely. You won't be able to hang them upside down and have them hold or anything like that. But it will certainly stop cases sliding off one another if they're stacked in the back of the van and you turn a corner. Basically, it just stops them from sliding around.

It's worth noting that it's not totally locked in securely. You won't be able to hang them upside down and have them hold or anything like that. But it will certainly stop cases sliding off one another if they're stacked in the back of the van and you turn a corner. Basically, it just stops them from sliding around.

hmm. well it certainly sounds better than sliding around a van, which is (was) my main concern with using hard cases. I guess I will have to let go of my (shortlived) dream of carrying all my drums into the venue at once. then again I probably would have had to do some working out to accomplish that feat anyway. thanks!

The cymbal case is great. No "wobble" in the middle. I picked up a "ProCym" case on eBay for a pretty good price. I actually just looked in it a moment ago (as I only use it for road gigs) & realised that someone has left their 20" paiste rude china in there by mistake. Hardcase have brought me good luck!

The problem I had with the Hardcase cymbal case is that you put the cymbals in the back part, but the top parts fits inside the back part. You could push on the top part and you could feel the China pushing back. I like the Humes and Berg style, where the back part fits inside the top part in a "vault" configuration that is very stiff. I hear the new Hardcases for cymbals are more like the vault type.

The stacking feature is useful when you are transporting the drums. You can stack them on a cart higher than you and they won't slide or topple over too easily.

Back