Working with a Metronome?

opentune

Platinum Member
Inspired by somebody else on here, I decided to start practicing with a metronome, just rudiments and patterns on a pad (but am not well-versed in all rudiments).
I can hold a steady beat, but want my time to improve even more during/after fills.
Any advice on what to work on? Focus on one pattern or mix patterns? thanks,

this one is fun

Paradiddle - Rlrr Lrll Rlrr Lrll

Inward - rllR lrrL rllR lrrL

reverse - rrLr llRl rrLr llRl

outward - rLrl lRlr rLrl lRlr

capitols being the accents

play each for a measure returning to the normal paradiddle between each

tap your foot on the quarter note while the accents move...this will help you internalize that quarter note

be careful with the outward paradiddle it can be tricky and will always want to pull the accent back to the quarter note being only one 16th note away

there are millions of great exercises ...but I recommend getting comfortable with sticking and accent permutations of basic rudiments before combining them and changing subdivisions

what I mean is make rudiments more than what you see on paper.....reverse and invert the stickings and change the accents.... possibilities become endless....when that becomes comfortable then think about combining them and changing subdivisions

I also highly recommend Pat Petrillos Hands Grooves and Fills book.....he has tons of rudiment combination solos where he changes the accents and inverts them and whatnot....... they are amazing for your hands .....he also makes them easy to eventually apply to the kit very nicely

here is a quick example of the exercise I described above at a medium 140bpm....play it very slow at first always tapping your foot or vocalizing the quarter note
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z9SwpXaVRhM

Last edited:
Inspired by somebody else on here, I decided to start practicing with a metronome, just rudiments and patterns on a pad (but am not well-versed in all rudiments).
I can hold a steady beat, but want my time to improve even more during/after fills.
Any advice on what to work on? Focus on one pattern or mix patterns? thanks,

I just sent this out the other day on my Facebook Page and my Blog (I hope it helps you)
------------------------

Over the years I have been in many bands and the number one issue that makes playing in a band difficult, for other members, is poor timing. I must admit that in my early years I had a tough time with my timing as a drummer. I did not spent time practicing with a metronome. All of my time was spent playing to music – where I was the follower – not the leader. After much time ... working with metronomes ... my timing has drastically improved.

Here is a method that can improve your timing as a musician (this works really well with my drum students): Make sure when you practice with a metronome > Spend some time playing on the beat and some time playing in between the beat (like 5 minutes on beat - 1, 2, 3, 4 -, then 5 minutes in between the beat - +, +, +, + - with the metronome still ticking on the 1, 2, 3, 4 -). This technique will boost your timing skills quickly.

----------------
Playing on the upbeat to a metronome is very helpful - it helps you hear where you are in relation to the normal beat - without being in the zone of your drum and the metronome hiting at the same time.

another thing I just thought of that helps improve your time and internalize your pulse is using something like this

http://bestdrumtrainer.com/tt/

set 3 bars of time on the met then one bar off and see if you are on time when the met returns on the 1

as you get better at this lengthen the amount of off bars until you are maybe 4 on and 4 off and staying dead on

there is also a phone app that will do this
http://www.joecrabtree.com/software

well worth having

do this with pad practice as well as kit practice

guaranteed time improvement method

Back