Hi Hat recommendations

JSWhaler

I have a DW 5000 hi hat and love it, but it does not like my heal. After playing for an hour+ my heal feels like its gone through a tenderizer. I'm wondering if anyone has a solution? My other idea would be to buy a new hi hat. I've been researching the Yamaha 740 model as well as a Pearl 1000 model. Does anyone have experience with these models? I'm really hoping for a solution to my DW. Thanks

I have played both models and I like the action of the Pearl more, but I like the foot board of the Yamaha more.

I have huge feet, so if you are size 13, and don't like your heal touching the floor I suggest Yamaha.

I have the Yamaha, and it's nice. I also have a Tama RoadPro - also nice. I take it you play bare-footed? Yeah, when I had the DW5000 hi-hat, I didn't like playing it bare-footed either.

I auditioned lots of HH stands but would up getting what matched my bass pedals for the same reason, super silky smooth action, effortless, non-fatiguing and a pleasure to play, Tama Speed Cobra lever guide.

Also awesome to play barefoot on those long smooth boards.

Last edited:
You could play heel up.

Maybe you could take off the heel plate and get it ground down flat.

I too have size 13. I play rocking back and forth on my hi hat. My bass pedal is a Pearl eliminator which drew me to the Pearl, but I have a lot of Yamaha hardware. I like a strait pull, nothing too fancy on the hi hat.

I too have size 13. I play rocking back and forth on my hi hat. My bass pedal is a Pearl eliminator which drew me to the Pearl, but I have a lot of Yamaha hardware. I like a strait pull, nothing too fancy on the hi hat.

I would go pearl just to have the same boards.

+1 on the speed cobra HH stand, I never new how much improvement in both playing and pain/fatigue a good quality HH Stand can bring to the party!

Cheers

Mike

I have this problem with hihat stands: I am not flexible at all and most hit at stands pedal angles are too steep. One can adjust that by opening the hihat more but then the cymbals are too far opened and tension too stiff. There aren't many companies making hihat stands with adjustable pedal height. I believe the yamaha 9000 is but very $$$$$$.
Funny how one can adjust double pedals height/tension/rebound/feel a gazillion ways but not a hihat pedal. I buy/play older tama titans hihats and they have a very simple effective way of adjusting it. Works everytime for me. Maybe you have a similar problem.... If not , thanks for reading !!

Back