Let's see your Gretsch kits (saved the best for last!)

First 3 of my Renown Maple cherry burst and the last my CCJ white pearl.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Just stumbled across this topic. Damn you all! I'm so jealous :( I really want a Gretsch kit, I'm looking to get a Gretsch Renown Maple within the next few months. (13, 16, 24). My Gretsch snare is my baby. It sounds amazing. As much as I love my Tama kit, I really want a Gretsch kit lol.

185772_10150410207225447_772170446_17255111_3676598_n.jpg

Here she is. (Hopefully this link thing worked)
14x8 hammered brass. It sounds amazing!

Had to post my NEW old Cat maples with their new Faux virgin bass. Greatest thing I ever did, taking those toms off the bass, They sound better and the bass is fantastic.

Attachments

• IMG_0016.JPG
    IMG_0016.JPG
    110.7 KB · Views: 2,580
  • IMG_0017.JPG
    IMG_0017.JPG
    65.6 KB · Views: 2,535
  • IMG_0018.JPG
    IMG_0018.JPG
    118.1 KB · Views: 2,534
Just stumbled across this topic. Damn you all! I'm so jealous :( I really want a Gretsch kit, I'm looking to get a Gretsch Renown Maple within the next few months. (13, 16, 24). My Gretsch snare is my baby. It sounds amazing. As much as I love my Tama kit, I really want a Gretsch kit lol.

Von
Tamas are beautiful drums - I have an old Star bongo (Star became Tama) and I once owned a StarClassic 8x14 - massive sound!

That Gretsch Hammered snare is nice looks the same size as my old Tama.

Gretsch Cats are second to none for the price in my book...just awesome drums period.
I have some Renowns (PWAM - 6pc) and they sound incredible. All the Renown Maple drums are great - you can't go wrong with them.

Have you seen the Gretsch Brooklyn Series? I just can not get them out of my head. Mr. Keith Carlock is doing or has done some Gretsch clinics recently while featuring and demonstrating the new Brooklyn Series.

I will have to look at getting at least one of the snare drums in the near future. The only trouble I will have is trying to settle on a finish.

Royal Red Oyster is nice...

Attachments

• royal red oyster brooklyn.jpg
    royal red oyster brooklyn.jpg
    283.4 KB · Views: 2,525
Newly acquired Gretsch Brooklyn 6.5 x 14 Hammered Chrome over Brass.

Attachments

• CIMG1516.JPG
    CIMG1516.JPG
    145.1 KB · Views: 2,484
Mr. G ! That is awesome! I've been reading about the newly worked stickchopper-like hoops on these drums. How do you like them?
Great looking drum. Nice choice.

By the way - how did you narrow down your choice - or did you simply have that one in mind from the get-go?

Newly acquired Gretsch Brooklyn 6.5 x 14 Hammered Chrome over Brass.

That snare is awesome!!! I'm sure it sounds as good as it looks.

Lots of beauties on here.
Other end of the scale here, I got these 5 years ago, for only $400 with loads of great yamaha hardware. Early 2000 Catalina maples. Person before me stripped the wrap and now they look very woodsy, organic....remind me of Charlie Watts old 58 Gretsch's. They sound great for the price and I never worry about where I take them
gretsch2010b.jpg

gretsch2011b.jpg

That snare is awesome!!! I'm sure it sounds as good as it looks.

Thanks! :D It really does sound amazing (not to sound big-headed or anything lol)
I'll always get a comment about it at a gig or on my band's recordings.

It was more of an impulse-buy, I almost didn't get it. I saw it on Ebay, watched it, then placed a bid during the last few seconds. And it was a steal, I got for £190 including p+p! But it's by far the best thing I've purchased, for it's size it's very versatile. It has the nice ring you get from a brass shell, the fat tone from the depth of the shell, and it's surprisingly responsive for a 8" deep snare, and a nice attack. Pretty much everything I want from a snare rolled into one.

Mr. G ! That is awesome! I've been reading about the newly worked stickchopper-like hoops on these drums. How do you like them?
Great looking drum. Nice choice.

By the way - how did you narrow down your choice - or did you simply have that one in mind from the get-go?

I was looking for a deeper Gretsch snare, so I went to eBay, and bookmarked "Gretsch Snares" and shopped daily. when I saw this, and that it was from Forks I had faith it would be a good drum. the hoops aren't really a concern. They are heavy but not as quieting as the die cast. Very nice snare. Thanks

This is not a 'kit' but I thought some might appreciate seeing it here.

A 1947 6x10 Gretsch tom in the original Green lacquer. The hoops, clips, t-rods and reso head tacks....and badge of course....and tom hanger are all original. I tucked a new calfhide on the original flesh-hoop and tacked a new calfhide on the reso side.

The original reso head (pig skin?) was painted white...some kind of lacquer. It was split and pretty well none functional. I spray painted the new calfhide with Rustoleum. I did this for two reasons. 1) again, because the original head was painted and 2) the head is more durable. When it's sitting in a snare cradle the head will have more protection against wear/rubbing in one spot. I know this from experience. I had a tucked reso head wear through when it was sitting in a snare cradle.

This drum has huge tone = a very nice sounding drum. It tunes up beautifully and I use it with my late 50's Gold Sparkle Gretsch kit sometimes. Green and Gold looking and sounding good together.

Attachments

• IMG_3546 (Large).JPG
    IMG_3546 (Large).JPG
    106.6 KB · Views: 2,358
  • IMG_3542 (Large).JPG
    IMG_3542 (Large).JPG
    47.4 KB · Views: 2,349
Catalina Maple
Yamaha Colaiuta snare
A Custom cymbals
DW 5000 pedals
Gibraltar 9000 Hardware

DSC00095.jpg

Beautiful drums in a beautiful setting = very nice photo!
The drums set off that winter scene perfectly. The drums also look comfortable on that carpet. The whole setup and scene is cool.....so to speak.

Catalina Maple
Yamaha Colaiuta snare
A Custom cymbals
DW 5000 pedals
Gibraltar 9000 Hardware

DSC00095.jpg

I'm working on a mostly 50's kit now except for the snare shell which I had built recently.
I couldn't find a 50's 3ply 6.5" snare shell anywhere. The drum sizes are 22/13/16...the 13 being an original 9x13 Cadillac Green tom......mid-50's I think. I have a 51 bd shell and a 53 floor shell. Fun project so far. But I'm not using this 10" tom in a project - only using it as is and it's a real nice drum all by itself. However, if a bass drum, snare and floor tom shows up on eBay some day it will be very hard not to get involved in the bidding process.

Lennyondrums: I love the Catalina Series Gretsch drums! They have some very cool finishes. I like yours.

Good one; I've tucked conga heads and it was a fun and satisfying project.

Are you looking to make a vintage set?

GJS

Here's my Gretsch kit: Early 80's, 13, 16, 24. Sounded great on that session.

Attachments

• Attempt2 15-49-25.jpg
    Attempt2 15-49-25.jpg
    456.3 KB · Views: 2,407
Back