Tommy Igoe

S

Stu_Strib

Tommy Igoe

Anyone know anything about him as a person? I find his teaching style to be extremely good for begginers, but for me, it leaves much to be desired (higher intermediate, low end expert player). Maybe he'll do a more advanced dvd someday.

I think his groove essentials is a great idea for newer drummers, but I would like to see much more in an instructional dvd.

My wife couldn't stop making fun of him. I guess he's the quintessential band geek...not that that's a bad thing.

http://www.drummerworld.com/drummers/Tommy_Igoe.html

Last edited by a moderator:
yeah i watched his groove essential video its pretty good but yeah i agree with your wife he is kinda geeky

I think that Tommy Igoe is a fantastic drummer and a brilliant teacher let me know wat you think cheers.

I think Tommy is an awesome teacher. He is very passionate about it. A lot of guys I know think he's goofy about it (much like me, probably why I like him) and discredit him. This is a real shame, because he has a lot of knowledge and talent to share.

The only thing I didn't like about Groove Essentials is that he breaks down the basic groove, but then when he plays it, he ad libs a lot, which loses my students real fast. I wish he would have done THREE takes instead of two. Slow, upbeat, then a third one where breaks down the variations he plays with the (cough cough) "band".

Also, I would have liked to have seen a list of the tunes he played too in the credits.

His DWs and Zildjians sound amazing, and his playing is smooth, fluid and real musical.

I do hear hes making a new dvd with a lot more advanced stuff for more advanced players i hope thats useful to you.

Really? Where did you hear that? I look on vicfirth.com every once in a while, maybe I need to go check again.

i saw a poster in a gak store its coming out in sept i think.

silver_one_drummer127 said:
i saw a poster in a gak store its coming out in sept i think.

Cool, thanks. I can't wait. Its hillarious watching me trying to defend Tommy from my wife. She can't get over how dorky he is, which blows my mind, because Tommy is 2x as cool as I am. I am the stereotypical band geek.

you must pretty cool if your a drummer lol glad i could help.

I had the chance to meet Tommy at PASIC and also a dinner with him and the Hudson-Music friends Paul and Rob.

First surprise: This guy is so tall - much taller than you imagine from the pics. He's the tallest drummer I know.....

Second surprise: He's really fast.....and I mean it.

I stood just beside him during his clinic. He played a BossaNova/Samba in a uptempo - with straight single Hi-Hat - and he hold it not only few seconds, just some minutes - very impressive.

His vocabulary is tremendous - and really, you have to stand beside him to believe: so clean and strong - i was very impressed - and this after seeing twenty other drummers the same day.

And also the nicest guy possible.....

Bernhard

tommyigoe.jpg

Ya Tommy is one of the few that actually make music with the drums.... not just the beat....
Groove Essentials is the best i've seen so far.... if you get through it! then you end up having quite a baggage of groove with ya...

anyhooo.....

Good sunday to all..

Tommy's dvd is one of most outstanding videos to teach drummers how to lay it down no matter what what style
Learn Tommy's video and you can play almost any gig
I don't mean play like Vinnie or Weckl
Standard gigs

I don't find Tommy's Groove Essentials too basic, let's face it a lot of musicians wish that their drummers kept their beats as 'basic' as this instead of being all over the place like a cheap suit.

Don't know where the 'geeky' looking thing comes from, Tommy is tall and very presentable, and a very good speaker to boot. If that's 'geeky' then I would love to be geeky (instead of just being tall).

Tommy's dad was the legendary Sonny Igoe who drove the exciting Woody Herman band in the 50's. This was generally regarded as one the most advanced and swinging of the Herman bands, and that is saying something. Tommy has also been heavily involved in writing and producing the music for the 'Lion King' stage show plus a zillion other things.

I think the the groove essentials poster and DVD are essential viewing for even those drummers who think they know it all - it has sure helped me (even though I do know it all).

OZjazzer said:
Don't know where the 'geeky' looking thing comes from,
He's geeky in his speaking and mannerisms, the words, the drum noises, the swaying back and forth. He's a band geek through and through (not a bad thing at all!). I'm a lot like him, so I can appreciate his style of "singing" the drum parts and general enthusiasm for drums.

Most people would look at you and think "weirdo" is all! I personally dont' care. I know non-musicians probably think we are all a bit eccentric anyway and dismiss it as such ;-)

I saw Tommy playing at Birdland in New York City. He was swinging really hard and man, he was tall!

A very versatile player.

I just watched the Groove Essentials DVD, and Tommys Groove is amazing, hes in a diffenerent class. Does anyone know what records he has played on?

Smashing stuff anyway, a groove like he has is something to aspire to.

oh well ......i have the Groove Essentials DVD and its really a niche amongst the so many other drum tutorial dvds around .......... the simple way he broke the groove, emphasized on the real aura of the rhythm and mood and then improvised ...... thts wonderfully enriching .......
oh and btw He is not at all geeky but very normal ...and the DVD may appear deceptively simple because Tommy makes it so !!!!! this guy is a class apart .. he is an acclaimed teacher in clinics and even in university.

only one gripe ..... somewhere he or maybe his publisher commented that the accompanying band music would be available in a downloadable drumless format from the DVD website and now i see that they have come up with a CD with the Play-Along book which i again need to buy ...... This is SIMPLY WRONG .... will Bernhard or someone who meets him pass this objection to him ?

Back