NEW Videos: Jon Hiseman - Colosseum

Superb addition Bernhard, especially as Hiseman is little known in the US. I happen to know that Hiseman was a big influence on Simon Phillips, & you don't have to listen too deeply to pick that up. That speed up/slowdown snare/bass drum section is just a wonderful display of control.

As a little side snippet of useless info, I arranged a Paiste clinic for Hiseman back in 1985, & actually jammed with him in an informal 2 kit setup after his set piece clinic performance. Of course, there's no way I could keep up with Jon, but it was fun.

Last edited by a moderator:
Good old Hiseman is the reason I started playing drums. I got a Colosseum dvd(the dvd that these clips are taken from in fact) for my birthday, and I was floored by his musical playing and chops. The band is also really great!

Good old Hiseman is the reason I started playing drums. I got a Colosseum dvd(the dvd that these clips are taken from in fact) for my birthday, and I was floored by his musical playing and chops. The band is also really great!
Wow, I'm sure Jon would be pleased to hear that, & even more pleased that his inspiration lead to such a great student by default!

Wow, I'm sure Jon would be pleased to hear that, & even more pleased that his inspiration lead to such a great student by default!
Hehe, thanks Andy. If you'd heard my playing at the start of my "career", you would definitely heard my inspiration. Hiseman has a lot of army like diddles on the snare, which I've shamelessly copied from him. I also like his playing with Barbara Thompsons Paraphernalia.
It would be interesting to talk to him. I've heard he's quite a control freak.

Although it was many years ago, I found him to be a very easy going guy, certainly a gentleman. That may be different in a creative environment though. I just like his playing, & recognise his contribution to the craft.

Of course. He said himself that he was a control-freak, so I just took his word for it :p

Back