OCDP Newport 5pc

cadwiz

So I was in the market for a new kit in the $1000 range. I wasn't to familiar with OCDPs mass produced kits so I did some research and found a even mix of positive and negative reviews (on a side note I didn't realize there are so many TB haters lol). This left me bewildered so I went to my local store and took it for a test drive. I played a Newport kit that was setup for their drumming competition. I was pleased with what I saw and heard. NA rock maple shells sound warm and open. The lacquer glass glitter finish is flawless and deep looking including bass drum hoops.The hardware is big and burly and has nice quality "feel". l enjoy some of the details like memory locks for floor tom legs and the offset lugs. The only thing I'm on the fence about is the satin finish. I agree It's a nice contrast to the shiny glitter finish. I'm just not sure how it will hold up over time.

Specs:
10x8 TT
12x19 TT
16x14 FT
14x7 SN
22x20 BD

Remo Ebony Pinstripe Batter
Remo Ebony Ambassador Resonant

Paiste 2oo2
15 SE HiHats
24 Ride

Paiste Giant Beat
18 Multi
20 Multi

DW 9000 Hardware

4647105804_8151568da7_b.jpg

4646490233_247935d230_b.jpg

4647109028_a970678360_b.jpg

4646490583_9b00d98b7f_b.jpg

4646490891_5f75b6199a_b.jpg

4647106102_9a5f0259ba_b.jpg

4647139376_317a830893_b.jpg

4646491919_fd6db6584f_b.jpg

4647106446_d18ee2c483_b.jpg

4646491155_6146119485_b.jpg

4646492169_316c740129_b.jpg

4647108136_078be3dae3_b.jpg

4646491673_1aac3833e0_b.jpg

Nice kit! I've gotta say that i've completely fallen in love with the matte hardware i've seen on alot of kits lately!

Looks really nice! China and Taiwan are really stepping up their games these days!
Alot of really great instruments coming from over there for sure and the OCDP looks like no exception!

side note: If you haven't already, bag those tacky little gold stickers on the suspension mounts and kick spurs. ; )

It looks like to me that the Newport series is as nice as all the others in the $1,000 mid price range.

I would love to hear from any owners of a kit in this series.

When it comes to all the features you can get now for $600 to $1,000. Drummers have it so much better than they did just 20 years ago.

When it comes to all the features you can get now for $600 to $1,000. Drummers have it so much better than they did just 20 years ago

Ain't that the truth!

It's making my decision making really tough!

hmm think i prefere your ddrums wih all giant beats :p lovely kit though hope you like them

I think I played a Newport kit at a Guitar Center once... I really liked the bass drum, but I think it was the heads and poor tuning that made me absolutely hate the snare drum and kinda meh off the toms.

I'd imagine with proper tuning and everything those sound awesome, and they look pretty snazzy too.

Your kit looks sexy with that DW hardware and those Paiste cymbals. Just take those "Made in Taiwan" stickers off and you're ready to go. Congrats on the great looking kit and I hope it sounds as good as it looks.

why does the snare have chrome hardware and the rest of the kit has matte? I like the chrome hardware better by the way, at least with the silver sparkle finish.

The kit looks really sharp though. I think some of the ocdp hate is direct towards the avalon and venice lines. I have seen a few of those kits in the store and the wrapped finishes look really crappy. A few of the drums had uneven seams. I also saw dark colored spots inside some of the shells and even on some of the bearing edges. These newport kits seem to be a higher quality.

Thanks everyone for your nice comments.

Nice kit! I've gotta say that i've completely fallen in love with the matte hardware i've seen on alot of kits lately!

I like it too. Hopefully it holds up. Only time will tell.

side note: If you haven't already, bag those tacky little gold stickers on the suspension mounts and kick spurs. ; )

They're gone for sure. I just wanted people to see the kit as it comes.

It looks like to me that the Newport series is as nice as all the others in the $1,000 mid price range. When it comes to all the features you can get now for $600 to $1,000. Drummers have it so much better than they did just 20 years ago.

You are right. This segment has grown quite a bit over the years. Thanks to overseas manufacturing being so inexpensive.

hmm think i prefere your ddrums wih all giant beats :p lovely kit though hope you like them

You mean this one... I still have it and still love it :)

4658458113_e0c90f02e2.jpg

why does the snare have chrome hardware and the rest of the kit has matte? I like the chrome hardware better by the way, at least with the silver sparkle finish.

The Newport kit doesn't come with a snare. The snare you see was a separate purchase. That's why it has chrome hardware and different badge.

That looks very nice!!
Is the ebony pinstripe on the snare only for the looks, or does it sound good too?

Bram

I had done this years ago when I was broke and couldn't afford a new snare head. I put on an old pinstripe head I had laying around. To my surprise it didn't sound half bad. So after some experimenting I was able to getting sounding really good. The secret was putting a flam slam on the underside. Now the snare has the tone I want which tends to be a little more "ring" than most drummers want but is well suited for the reggae-punk style of music I play. The fact that it matches and looks good is just a bonus. :)

Back