Martial arts part 2

drummingman

Gold Member
I waa thinking about martial arts again and i was thinking about weather doing punches over and over again into a heavy bag or hand pads would reduce suppleness in my wrists? If it would reduce suppleness suppleness in my wrists that could really hurt my drumming. The style that im looking to do would be muay thai or boxing.

Do any of you have any thoughts on this issue?

Do you use handwraps? I think that can make a world of difference. I always firmly wrap my wrists when boxing to prevent damage.

Repeted punches will build up the muscles in that area. As long as you properly stretch, and like stated before, don't break your wrist, you should be fine. It will most likely improve your technique than anything else since you will also be focusing on accuracy as you hit the bag.

I waa thinking about martial arts again and i was thinking about weather doing punches over and over again into a heavy bag or hand pads would reduce suppleness in my wrists? If it would reduce suppleness suppleness in my wrists that could really hurt my drumming. The style that im looking to do would be muay thai or boxing.

Do any of you have any thoughts on this issue?

I have many thoughts on this issue.

Keep any large bag work to a minimum. Yes, you will damage yourself. As a former practitioner and highly ranked professional who now has arthritis from heavy bag work, I hope you follow my advice.

You are better off working on small bags. Develop speed over brute force. Remember Speed = Power.

Thai boxing is a very good style. I used to do a lot of it back in the day. I studied 32 styles and became an instructor in many of them. Some I never bothered to grade in but know the syllabus up to and beyond 3rd dan.

Here is a shot of me during a visit to a mate's house. I am in the air. Ignore the belt. It's my friends uniform. It's so strange that I only ever took photos during this period. There's about 20 years unaccounted for in my martial arts history with regard to images. It's the same with bands and gigs. I went through my album and you'd think I'd only been in one band. This photo is from many years ago now.

6008_104148613142_654928142_2206751.jpg

And develop control.

6008_104150918142_654928142_2206794.jpg

Last edited:
Back