Mick Thompson-Psychosocial
Mark Knopfler- Sultans of Swing
Tom Morello-Bulls on parade
Steve Vai-Bad Horsie
Alexi Laiho-Bodom Beach Terror
Michael Paget-Tears Dont Fall
Phil Demmel-Halo

just saw this thread and figured I would throw this one in the mix

I'm not even a huge fan of this band.....they are fine... but since the day this album dropped this particular guitar solo has had an affect on me ...

it sounds to me like the soul of a human being crying and pleading for help ... and then them slowly giving up and succumbing to what was ailing them

beautiful and painful at the same time..... I feel Johns soul in this solo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pi9dIpfWd4c&t=1m58s

the one that ends the tune is equally as haunting

A few 70's rock solos

Rainbow "Gates of Babylon"
Judas Priest "Dreamer Deceiver"
Jethro Tull "Aqualung"
Aerosmith "Nobody's Fault"

Frank Zappa- Rat Tomago

I am stunned by the utter lack of Holdsworth in this thread.

Just the first ten of my favorites I can think of (one per band):

Rush - A Passage to Bangkok

Alice in Chains - Man in the Box

Audioslave - Doesn't Remind Me

Iron Maiden - Paschendale

Metallica - The Unforgiven

Rage Against The Machine - Know Your Enemy (could've filled this list with Morello solos really)

Jerry Cantrell - Bargain Basement Howard Hughes (could've filled this list with Cantrell solos too)

Soundgarden - Superunknown

Megadeth - Hangar 18

Black Sabbath - N.I.B.

Last edited:
Jimi Hendrix - Voodoo Child

Deep Purple - Wring That Neck

Van Halen - Eruption

Judas Priest - Sinner | Unleashed In The East

Black Sabbath - Behind the Wall of Sleep

this has been my favorite since i first heard of
steely dan--Elliot Randall, reeling in the years.
it's one of jimmy page's favorites too.

gary moore-still got the blues for you

I feel embarrassed that as a guitarist, I can't name (my) top 10 guitar solos off the top of my head. I'll try to mention a few that stick out to me - in no particular order though.

Van Halen's solo on Michael Jackson's - "Beat It". Simply an amazing hi-energy rock (if not metal) solo in a pop context. (Well the solo on "Jump" is superb, too.)

Megadeth - "Hangar 18" (solo by Marty Friedman) - I agree! Packed with nice melodies. I learned that one years ago but haven't been playing it for a long time.

More guitar hero stuff: Marty Friedman - all lead parts on "Forbidden City".
Jason Becker - "Altitudes".
Joe Satriani - e.g. his solos on "The Forgotten Part 2". One of those players who can 'speak' through his instrument. Amazing.
Ah yes - the main solo on "Black Magic" by Reb Beach (ex-Winger - wait, they're back again!). Amazing melodic tapping approach. I learned that instrumental. Took a while but was so much fun to play.

I like the melodic approach in many songs by Iron Maiden and Metallica, e.g.:
Iron Maiden - "Aces High" or "The Trooper".
Metallica - e.g. intro solo on "Sanitarium (Welcome Home". Main solo on "Creeping Death". Intro and main solo on "One".

Pink Floyd - "Another Brick In The Wall" (solo by David Gilmour) - I agree with Grea. Perfectly structured solo, superb melodies/licks and nice dynamic flow.

Deep Purple - "Smoke On The Water". Ritchie Blackmore's solo style reminds me of a violin at times. It was an honour to learn that solo recently, I need it for a cover band ;-)

I'm going to throw a few out there:

Robert Fripp - Cirkus (King Crimson). A twisted, acoustic rampage.
Robert Fripp - Fracture (King Crimson). All of it. Just all of it.
Jonny Greenwood - Paranoid Android (Radiohead). Not my favourite RH solo but definitely one of the most defining.
Jonny Greenwood - Go To Sleep (Radiohead). Specifically the Glastonbury live version with full Max/MSP power.
Tom Morello - Bulls on Parade (Rage Against the Machine). Redefines what a 'solo' is.

Then a load of others that I like, mostly David Gilmour.

It all had to start somewhere..........

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1TYPB55wcS4

Danny Cedrone....Rock Around the Clock.

(actually a cleaned-up version of his "Rock the Joint" solo from a few years earlier)

Aside from that I get all my "guitar solo" needs fulfilled in three ways...

Hendrix
Gilmour
Page

Never really needed any others........

my favourite guitarist has to be marty friedman, i use to listen to slash alot, and thought hell, slash is really the best guitarist out there, but then i got into heavy metal music, i start to listen to bands like Metallica, Pantera, Iron Maiden, Skid Row. Megadeth was the the band i discovered while watching a interview of James Hetfield talking about Dave Mustaine. i start to listen to their album Rust in Peace, i remember the first time i heard tornado of souls and hangar 18 i was simply amazed by Marty Friedman, i've never heard anything like it in metal. Now, Slash is pretty good, but if you try to learn solos by Slash and Marty, Marty's solo is so much more technical than Slash's solos. I also like a lot of other guitarists, my number two favourite guitarist is probably Jimmy Hendrix, he is so talented and died at young age, i've always felt sorry for him. And Nick Menza is my favourite metal drummer, i like all the stuff he wrote during his Megadeth era, too bad that Dave Mustaine fired him, what an asshole?
and my top ten solos are(by order):
1.Tornado of souls- Marty Friedman(blows my mind out)
2.Hangar 18- Marty Friedman(Asian music style is awesome)
3.Voodoo Chile- Jimi Hendrix
4.Symphony of Destruction-- Marty Friedman
5.November Rain- Slash
6.Master of Puppets(the solos in this song is okay, but the riff kills!)- Metallica
7.Estranged- Slash
8.Sweet Child O mine- Slash
9. All long the watchtower- Jimi Hendrix
10.Crazy Train- Ozzy Osbourne

Back