Anyone use Remo pinstripes on bass drums?

Soupy

Silver Member
I'm looking for some heads for the Ludwig Classic Maples that I should be getting within the next month or so. I want to get something a little lively for the 16x20 bass I'm getting, but not quite as much as plain Ambassadors. I don't use any extra muffling in my bass.

Anyone use Pinstripes on their bass, and can you compare them to a PS3, which is my standard of reference for bass drums?

Before the P3, guys used to make their own richie rings out of old drum heads (for that matter, some people still do). So, consider the P3, basically an Ambassador head with an attached O ring.​
With that in mind, I would consider the Pinstripe to be a more muffled head than the P3.​

I have used them. I found them to be quite a bit more "thuddy" that the PS3, not nearly as lively sounding. My suggestion would be an Emperor, if you want something livelier than the PS3.

I have used them. I found them to be quite a bit more "thuddy" that the PS3, not nearly as lively sounding. My suggestion would be an Emperor, if you want something livelier than the PS3.

Yes, I second this. I run a Coated Emperor w/felt strip ("a la Bonham") on my 24" and the sound is round, boomy and huge. I also have an 18" converted floor tom with a Pinstripe and I honestly don't think that it's more muted than a PS3. I thought it was.. but no, I have to put something inside the drum otherwise it sounds like a tom.

Anyway, experiment. One of the yamaha kits on the mycymbal.com videos runs Pinstripe over Ambassador on the kick and it sounds A-MA-ZING.

Cheers.

Yeah, I did my own richie rings with my old Exports. Kinda wanted to avoid that as well as felt strips just because I'm lazy and figured could get a good sound without extra muffling. Certainly not ruling out either option though.

No substitute for experimenting, though it can get expensive fast at $30-40 per head. Getting an Emp and dialing it back does seem the safest bet though. Will have to think about it.

Before things like the Remo P3, Evans Emad, and Aquarian Super Kick were invented, the pinstripe was the most popular selling bass drum head of them all.

I used to use them for years. But it's been a long time since I have.

I've used a marching bass drum that had pinstripes on both sides. I definitely wouldn't describe the sound as "lively" but as more of a punchy kind of thud.

I use Pinstripes. They actually sound pretty good, but since you're looking for a livelier sound, you might wanna go with Emperors, if you want something brighter than P3. Personally, my favorites are the P3.

Back