Thread: Billy Cobham
View Single Post
Old 08-29-2017, 06:11 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Billy Cobham

Quote:
Originally Posted by spleeeeen View Post
Just watched this last night. Legendary players in that band and really cool to see Billy's very physical brand of musical expression at a time when he was "it" in the realm of fusion. As a kid, I remember listening to "Spectrum" on cassette tape, over and over. I saw him with his Spectrum 40 band a couple of years ago (sat about 8 feet away from him on the side of the stage) and he's still got it!
Billy was the first non-rock drummer I really checked out, courtesy of a good friend who turned me on to playing drums as a teen. I had Billy's "Best Of" record, which I also wore out and often slowed down with my thumb (not a great idea) to figure out what the hell he was doing. Stratus (off Spectrum) and Pleasant Pheasant were my favorites.

I also saw Billy on the Spectrum 40 tour at Music Hall in Detroit. Were you there, too, spleen? Incredible show, amazing energy, and all this despite the fact Billy was feeling very much under the weather. I got an autographed CD and also made an awkward attempt to chat with Gary Husband (who played keys) about Drummerworld. Gary is such a cool, gracious cat that I didn't even feel too bad about how clumsy I was about it.