Combining Yamaha & Gibraltar Hardware?

RobertM

Platinum Member
I am fixing up an old bass drum with a modernized tom mount. I am using the standard Yamaha bass drum mounting plate found on the Absolute, Oak Custom, Recording Custom series to go along with an extra TH945 mounting device I have. However, I have RIMS on the toms with thin brackets that accept 10.5 mm L-rod arms.

My question is, will Gibraltar tom arms like the following (pictured below) fit into the 1" diameter mounting holes found on the Yamaha TH945? Does anyone know if these Gibraltar tom arms have 1" diameter tubes? Or, are they 7/8" diameter?

Thanks!

Attachments

• ACF6kG6vn.jpg
    ACF6kG6vn.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 793
The kick flange ... should have a 1" hole. The TH-945A downtube fits that (1 inch). The triple head accepts 7/8", standard for Yamaha, Pearl, Tama, and ... the Gibraltar unit you show. Every rack clamp I've ever worked with is designed for 7/8". The most recent 1" stuff ... Ludwig "modular" hardware.​
So you need that triple holed triangular beast ... as your 7/8 to 1 inch converter. Or, a 1" cymbal stand tube (cut down, to save weight), that accepts 7/8" ... I use that on my Yamaha RC's, to run a 7/8" mini-boom out of my kick drum flange.​
Where there's a will ... and a hacksaw ... there's usually a way.​

I don't mean to be contrarian, Harry, but my Yammies' bass mount is 7/8", as is the down post on my stock 945.

To the OP: You *could* use that Gibraltar arm, and I've been tempted to try it myself, but the fact of the matter is it might be too much weight torquing in the wrong directions for that phenolic ball to hold the angle. Best to stick with original manufacturer equipment, in this case; Yamaha's design is as much for proprietary reasons as it is for functionality reasons.

I don't mean to be contrarian, Harry, but my Yammies' bass mount is 7/8", as is the down post on my stock 945.

Hey, certainly no problem ... I was wrong (first time, in a long time) .... that's what happens, when I don't "double-check" myself ... I was thinking the situation I just had with my Rogers kit (downstairs) with a 1" flange hole (memriloc) .... and I've just replaced that kit with a Yamaha RC ... and juxtaposing the two ... got all messed up.​
Yeah, Yamaha is pretty much 7/8" everywhere ... my bad ... and thanx for catching my goof, AP.​

Meh, that's what we're all about. That's how we roll here!

Back