Kerope ! ... believe the hype

WhoIsTony?

so I went down to see my boy Jess at Steve Maxwells drum shop this morning and it turns out that yesterday they got their shipment of the new Zildjian Kerope cymbals.... so I got to tap on them

whoa!!

believe the hype

they are ridiculous

they remind me of the K cons.... but like a 30 years aged K con

and the wash is slightly different ... slightly more trashy and gorgeous

the stick stays on top just like the K con and they have amazing stick definition

if you stay on top they never really open up too much ... but if you lay into it they open like a wave of perfection then recede from the shore quickly

they look amazing as well... sort of a bronze appearance like a patina right off the line

and I love that there is no indication of "ride" or "crash".... they are just cymbals... like the old days

another cool thing is that every cymbal has it's weight marked under the bell

great stuff... but I could not buy one because the official release date is the 14th

so I "pre ordered" a 20" 1988g that I fell in deep love with ... but can not take it home for 2 weeks....ugh

go check them out when you can

That's pretty awesome.

I'm hoping they are a lot more affordable than the k cons? Did you try any of the hats? I'm looking for good light hats... Somewhere in the range of 1000 g on the bottom.

I tried to tell you!

Seriously Tony, when I was at NAMM and heard them, I instantly thought of you. I knew you would love them.

And I love the way they look like the turned up at an old pawn shop.

The weight seems to be falling between K Con's medium and medium-thin.

You make me want a 20" too...

Are you going to rivet the new cymbal too?

Oh, man. I am excited hearing a review like this from you. I know our tastes align. It's about time to buy a new cymbal, too....

I had honestly written these off as all hype but I am going to give them a serious listen after reading your review. I don't really need anything new but I can always sell something off if I fall in love.

Tony, I hope I didn't offend you with the nudge in the Technique thread. Just a bit of good natured joshing among musicians.

I'll be keeping a close eye on my local music stores to see if any of them acquire some Keropes. I'd love a chance to hear them in person.

Definitely looking forward to hearing more!

Definitely looking forward to these guys coming out soon.

I used to think I had almost all the cymbals I needed. I can't wait to try out these things.

absolutely

that pretty much sounds like almost every pair I touched yesterday

the thing with these cymbals is they are very much like cymbals in the old days and every one is so different from the next even if the weights are very close

you really got get your hands on them and pick the one that speaks to you .... and it will

these are fantastic !!!

I'm so into that. With the exception of my hats, every cymbal on my kit is either late 60's or early 70's. I firmly believe that a) they just don't make em' like that anymore, and b) the aged sound of the cymbals is so great I can't stand it. Cymbals that get described as "modern" always sound kinda crappy to me; too bright. I think I just like that older, warmer tone. These Keropes seem to have a mix to my ear, sort of a slightly newer overtone, while the undertones are nice and smooth and old sounding.

I know dude, those things are ridiculous. I just spent months tormenting myself about whether to buy a Kerope or a K Con medium-thin low. I went with the K Con because I've always wanted one, but I'm sure I'll be splashing out on a Kerope one of these days.

I got to play both a 20 and a 22 this afternoon. Both delicious.

I really fell for the 22. Clear pingy stick with a lovely wholesome crash. Damn; a real musical instrument. Though I'd have been happy to take either one home.

They even looked nice, and I'm not so inclined to seduced so readily. But, oh man, Z hit a winner with these.

I want a 20" on the low side between 1850 and 2000 grams.

Need to look under the couch cushions for an extra $500, will probably have to check under the car seats as well.

Any youtube vids? :)

my 20"is 1988 and boy does that thing sing like birds on a summer morning

beautiful tight stick def ...stick stays on top and all volumes

when crashed it opens up so beautifully and when push crashed it has this amazing trashy quality

I have owned many cymbals... probably too many .... just about every brand both major and independent at all weights and sizes...... and I don't think I have ever owned one as musical as that 20

WhoIsTony,

Btw, how much variation is between cymbals of the same Kerope model?

These things take a while to arrive in Western Australia - but I have a set of 15's, a 19" and a 22", and they sound amazing.

Really similar to the Old K Intermediate stamp. The bell of the 22" is an ongoing experiment, especially if you're used to clear, tonal bells on cymbals. Very flat (shape), but not un-musical. Just very particular-sounding. I would imagine that Zildjian were very careful in how these were shaped, as it seems that much of the 'Kerope' sound stems from the relationships between this bell as well as the patina that they're using. Bell on the 19 is much 'clearer' and more tonal than the 22.

I've ordered a 20" to go along with the new family, and they are sitting in a larger collection of cymbals extremely well sound-wise. They are making friends very easily with:

14" K Con Hats
18" K Con Crash
20" Johan VDS
22" K Con MT Low
22" Lauritsen Kontroversial.

I, too, was concerned about all the hype and the new Zildjians not living up to it - but I am really very pleased so far.

In the back of my mind, though, I'm wondering how these pies will age, since they are pre-aged (and pre-aged in a 'new' way for Zildjian...)

Just a thought :)

I'm an idiot and missed these at NAMM. I will have to go to Pro Drum to see one as soon as Stan and Jerry are done selling all of their Pro Drum-Zildjian stamped anniversary rides.

So you'd really recommend a Kerope over their Pitch Blacks? That's hard to believe ;)

I'm wanting a 20" too. Are you ordering locally or from the States? Ordering from the States is so much cheaper. But it's a gamble of the sound/tone.... I can't make up my mind.

These things take a while to arrive in Western Australia - but I have a set of 15's, a 19" and a 22", and they sound amazing.

Really similar to the Old K Intermediate stamp. The bell of the 22" is an ongoing experiment, especially if you're used to clear, tonal bells on cymbals. Very flat (shape), but not un-musical. Just very particular-sounding. I would imagine that Zildjian were very careful in how these were shaped, as it seems that much of the 'Kerope' sound stems from the relationships between this bell as well as the patina that they're using. Bell on the 19 is much 'clearer' and more tonal than the 22.

I've ordered a 20" to go along with the new family, and they are sitting in a larger collection of cymbals extremely well sound-wise. They are making friends very easily with:

14" K Con Hats
18" K Con Crash
20" Johan VDS
22" K Con MT Low
22" Lauritsen Kontroversial.

I, too, was concerned about all the hype and the new Zildjians not living up to it - but I am really very pleased so far.

In the back of my mind, though, I'm wondering how these pies will age, since they are pre-aged (and pre-aged in a 'new' way for Zildjian...)

Just a thought :)

I'm ordering through the local music store (I try to shop local when I can...)

All sizes have now arrived and I played them together during a (long) lunch break.

I'll follow this post with a detailed review of each size that I've played (15" hats, 19", 20", 22") later this evening, but I ordered them all blind, and they've worked out really well indeed.

Perhaps Stateside it's different, but in Western Australia it is very tough to get a full set of K Cons, Keropes (I know that lots of places are still waiting on their 'full sets' worldwide...), Agops, etc... We are just a small-volume market, and the turnover just isn't there.

While I don't get things at cost price, I've known the guys at the store for many years, and they always look after me - so the cost of buying locally works out to slightly cheaper than buying internationally + shipping. Needless to say, the experience of bringing your own snare(s), sticks and existing cymbals in to play for hours on the gear is tough to out a price on - but highly desirable :)

I'm wanting a 20" too. Are you ordering locally or from the States? Ordering from the States is so much cheaper. But it's a gamble of the sound/tone.... I can't make up my mind.

Back