Gretsch drum and Gibraltar tom holder

drum_enthusiast

I purchased a Gibraltar rack recently for my Gretsch Catalina kit. I wanted to buy tom holders for my rack. I have the original Gretsch tom holder but it's really long for the rack.

Does anybody have a Gretsch Catalina kit using Gibraltar tom mounts? I want to make sure the mounts will fit my kit before buying them.

Here's a link to what I'm considering...any help is greatly appreciated!

http://accessories.musiciansfriend.com/product/Gibraltar-ClampStyle-LRod-Tom-Arm?sku=490628

Thanks! I thought it looked slightly bigger! I'll need Gretsch mounts then.

No you don't. The Gibraltar mounts will work mate. I use one myself. They come in two sizes a 10.5mm and a 12.7mm. On most of their drums Gretsch use a 12.7mm mount. However, on the Cat series they use a 10.5mm for some reason. I was just clarifying that you will indeed need the 10.5mm......not trying to suggest that Gibraltar won't work.

Hope that clears it up.

Here, check this thread out for more details: http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=63716&highlight=Catalina+tom+mount

Make sure you check the size. I have a Cat Birch (Old style) and it takes 12.7mm...The only Cat series that takes the 10.5 is the ash and cat maple I believe. But the gibraltar l-rod you pictured comes in both sizes and works great. The other option (for use with a rack) is to attach a "L-Rod" directly to the rack it self with either an adjustable multi clamp (as pictured below) or a normal multi clamp will work also. BTW just "L-rods" are cheaper than whole ball tom arms.

Attachments

• toms2.jpg
    toms2.jpg
    20 KB · Views: 2,662
Make sure you check the size. I have a Cat Birch (Old style) and it takes 12.7mm...The only Cat series that takes the 10.5 is the ash and cat maple I believe. But the gibraltar l-rod you pictured comes in both sizes and works great. The other option (for use with a rack) is to attach a "L-Rod" directly to the rack it self with either an adjustable multi clamp (as pictured below) or a normal multi clamp will work also. BTW just "L-rods" are cheaper than whole ball tom arms.

That's exactly what I want to do. I have the Cat Maple version so I'm sure they are 10.5. I think I want the ball tom arms for quick positioning. I know the rack is versatile though.

Your image captures what I want to do only I'm going with the normal multi-clamp route.

sure thing! I use the ball l rod on my set...(dont use the rack any more...it flies off a stand) but works like a charm...if you can be sure to invest in some l-rod memory locks. They save a load of time setting up and keep everything in the same place.

Attachments

• IMG_2849.JPG
    IMG_2849.JPG
    309.9 KB · Views: 3,534
  • Sku-011283.jpg
    Sku-011283.jpg
    19.9 KB · Views: 2,456
I have a Cat Birch (Old style) and it takes 12.7mm...The only Cat series that takes the 10.5 is the ash and cat maple I believe.

I didn't know that. Thanks for that info nic. Man, could Gretsch make negotiating your way round their wares anymore difficult? How about some standard hardware sizing for us poor consumers. I note the new series of Cat maples will now come with 12.7mm mounts.......they sure don't make it easy.

I purchased a Gibraltar rack recently for my Gretsch Catalina kit. I wanted to buy tom holders for my rack. I have the original Gretsch tom holder but it's really long for the rack.

Does anybody have a Gretsch Catalina kit using Gibraltar tom mounts? I want to make sure the mounts will fit my kit before buying them.

Here's a link to what I'm considering...any help is greatly appreciated!

http://accessories.musiciansfriend.com/product/Gibraltar-ClampStyle-LRod-Tom-Arm?sku=490628
I have the same exact issue but thought of simply cutting the gretsch tom mount stem that goes into the bass drum so that it is just mounted on the rack rather than the traditionally bass mount? I haven't done it because I would like to still be able to mount on the bass if I don't need or want to take the whole rack for a smaller kit setup when needed. Feels silly now with a full rack and two rack toms still mounted on the bass. Thoughts?
IMG_2809.jpgIMG_2809.jpg

Back