Show pics of your... SABIANS!

And the best thing is that it's the sickest cymbal ever made. Ever... No exceptions. The only thing MAYBE cooler is like a 30" cup chime that looks like a pig or something. Who knows. Its amazing. CJ, would you recommend buying it instead of the regular RBDR?
If you want crashing abilities with that sweet ping and strong bell the regular RBDR is so well-known for, I would definitely recommend purchasing the Prototype RBDR.

seems to me like sabian really likes to throw around the word "prototype."
it begins to lose its meaning after too many of these "prototypes" are made.
i saw 6 in gc today.

seems to me like sabian really likes to throw around the word "prototype."
it begins to lose its meaning after too many of these "prototypes" are made.
i saw 6 in gc today.
What do you mean? They make A LOT of cymbals. They are always experimenting with new models to keep on the cutting edge of cymbal design (which they are, in my opinion). They offer the most varied and expansive line-up of all the 'Big 3' cymbal companies.

Yeah Damo! That's a lot of prototypes, give some specs and sound descriptions!

This response was taken from another thread which I put up after I first came back from the Sabian factory.

The hats are all mounted. Basically, the idea was to have three sets of hats. My main set (13") will be in the standard position. I have aquired myself a little jungle snare from Sonor which is great for hiphop, drumnbass and funk, but I wanted to compliment it with some really bright fast tight hats. The Battle Hats were created for that purpose. They actually weight MORE than the 14" hats - they are extremely heavy, extremely loud and ridiculously bright. They almost have an electronic sound. The inspiration for this came from watching what Jojo Mayer was doing with cymbals during his clinic here a few months back.

The third set of hats (14") were predominantly for double kick and louder passages of play. I prefer the response of a 13" set of hats for just about everything - except when it comes to double kick/loud/metal sections. For that I want big washy sounds. Im not a fan of having many pedals on my setup, and being that these hats are used for predominantly one purpose, Im going to be mounting them on an x-hat, half open, above the ride cymbal. As a side note, the pitch of the three sets of hihats all matches. They were selected to create the 1st, 3rd and 5th notes of a scale. Therefore, any two hihats used together will always sound relative!

The Bell disc (or "Hells Bell" as I have dubbed it) was an idea Ive had for a while - I wanted a dark, angry bell, similar to a ride bell but with more sustain and volume than a ride could offer. This bell was actually cut down, so the bell of the cymbal is disproportionately large, and its hammered more than a rave-bunny on Saturday night. Its a very unique sound, but perfect for my needs.

The Evolution chinese was chosen because the 14" Evo I previously owned had a great sound, but did not resonate long enough. The 16" Evo china should be a stock Sabian line, its an amazingly smooth sound!

The ride was a fluke. Its actually an AA Raw Bell Dry Ride but had been held aside by Sabian because it had some interesting properties that other AA RBDR's didnt have - namely heaps more wash. The bell is high pitched, loud and cutting. It has the volume of a large heavy cymbal, but the wash of a studio ride. It was a very lucky find indeed.

Im not sure what the splashes were made from, but they have a ton of resonance, even for their size and are very glassy. I believe they may have been based on the Max splashes.

The advice I have for people looking into customizing their setup is this: KNOW what you want, and then go find the stuff that does it. If you walk into the Sabian vault or any other vault and have no idea what you need, youll still be looking for your first cymbal 3 days later. There is a problem with TOO much choice, and with the cost of cymbals these days, its important to map out what you want first

What do you mean? They make A LOT of cymbals. They are always experimenting with new models to keep on the cutting edge of cymbal design (which they are, in my opinion). They offer the most varied and expansive line-up of all the 'Big 3' cymbal companies.

I think it's great to see so many Sabian prototypes around. Not only does it mean they are constantly experimenting with new sounds but that they also aren't afraid of releasing them for the public. If I ever have ideas for custom cymbals, I'll be going to Sabian first.

I'll have to talk to Billy Hyde about that prototype RBDR, would be great to test one out in person.

This response was taken from another thread which I put up after I first came back from the Sabian factory.

The hats are all mounted. Basically, the idea was to have three sets of hats. My main set (13") will be in the standard position. I have aquired myself a little jungle snare from Sonor which is great for hiphop, drumnbass and funk, but I wanted to compliment it with some really bright fast tight hats. The Battle Hats were created for that purpose. They actually weight MORE than the 14" hats - they are extremely heavy, extremely loud and ridiculously bright. They almost have an electronic sound. The inspiration for this came from watching what Jojo Mayer was doing with cymbals during his clinic here a few months back.

Very cool! Are Battle Hats what YOU called them or did Sabian actually name that? heheh I'm looking for a similar electronic-type sound.. I know the VFX line is still available but there's no sound clips or stock in stores around here.. tough to decide. If you have a sample of the Battles, let me know..I might be interested in getting my own pair!! They look about 10 or 12" - is that correct?

And then, what is that main pair of hats you have based on? They look like they have AAX hammering on them in a Natural fnish.

Actually, I made a joke about them with Andy Z (Sabian) when they were made and the name kinda stuck :)

Here's an updated pic of my Sabians/kit from a gig last night:

Attachments

• kitoverhead.jpg
    kitoverhead.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 1,612
I bought the AA Pack with my Sonors, and ended up riveting the 20" Medium Ride and using it as a second, with a FANTASTIC 20" AA Raw Ride as my main.

n767318254_1586488_6831.jpg

n767318254_1586491_2323.jpg

NEW 14" AAX Xcelerator hi-hats
PICT1277.jpg

17" AA Fast crash
PICT1278.jpg

NEW 20" Vault V-ride
PICT1279.jpg

NEW 17" AA Medium crash (white splotches are fingerprints that look white because of the camera flash)
PICT1280.jpg

and soon I will be getting a FREE (!!!) 15" AAX Xtreme chinese, thanks to me buying at least $150 in Sabian cymbals and thanks to Sabian's holiday rebate offer (you can print out the mail-in rebate at sabian.com)

Hey

These are my Cymbals:
Sabian AAX Stage Crash 16"
Sabian AAX Stage Ride 20"
Sabian AAX Stage Hats 14"
Sabian HHX Explosion Crash 18"

Enjoy

Sabian HHX Explosion Crash 18"
DSC01580.jpg

Sabian AAX Stage Ride 20"
DSC01583.jpg

Sabian AAX Stage Crash 16"
DSC01587.jpg

Sabian AAX Stage Hats 14" (bottom)
DSC01589.jpg

Sabian AAX Stage Hats 14" (top)
DSC01591.jpg

All
DSC01597.jpg

...every Sabian Cymbal could be considered a prototype.

Unless good fortune smiles on you, you will have a very hard time finding any two cymbals of the same size and series that sound the same.

That is what makes cymbal hunting so much fun.

Barry

some very nice cymbals guys, here are my lowly B8's - the inverted 8" splash is actually my favorite cymbal, the hats are just unmusical, and the 'crash/ride' sounds kinda like a wrecking ball hitting a brick wall...
but they'll work until schools done and then AA's and HH's hopefully.
good drumming!

Attachments

• DSCN1867.JPG
    DSCN1867.JPG
    181.4 KB · Views: 1,385
Just a question: why do people use Sabians? To my ear they're nothing special...Not saying their bad, I've just heard lots of better cymbals.

Just a question: why do people use Sabians? To my ear they're nothing special...Not saying their bad, I've just heard lots of better cymbals.

People use sabian because they don't make a bad cymbal... the b8's are great right through to the HHX and Hand hammered. I use them because the AAX's worked so well with the type of music i like and play. I also got a HHX because it matched the AAX's soo well. I couldn't find a Zildjan for example which sounded anywhere near as good!, but people have there own preferences in sounds and styles.

calum

Hmmm, that's interesting. I've heard plenty of bad-sounding Sabians. Every cymbal company makes bad cymbals

Back