Jim Gordon

Yeah I did post his Jazznpops stuff in this thread

But one interesting thing I found a few months ago, I think it was Jim Gordon playing the 1978 Grammy Awards, as a backing drummer. There are a bunch of clips (it took a while to dig through everything online) but he may have played that! I'll have to dig that relic this weekend, because it was some good stuff.

There's also the Muppet movie? in the 70's that he drummed on, had some nice grooves that are long forgotten today.

It's funny, I think I read in one of Scott K. Fishs' interviews that Jim mentioned that some of the Friends of Distinction stuff was challenging for him. Something was challenging for him, lol...I get a kick out of that (like superman admitting catching a crashing helicopter was a bit difficult for him). But when u give it a good listen you can see why he said that.

SKF I live for your posts....thank you sir and keep them coming please!

Yeah I did post his Jazznpops stuff in this thread

But one interesting thing I found a few months ago, I think it was Jim Gordon playing the 1978 Grammy Awards, as a backing drummer. There are a bunch of clips (it took a while to dig through everything online) but he may have played that! I'll have to dig that relic this weekend, because it was some good stuff.

There's also the Muppet movie? in the 70's that he drummed on, had some nice grooves that are long forgotten today.

That would be awesome Brian. Thanks!

And the Muppet Movie? Holy crap, I didn't know that was Jim as well.

Yeah.....but can YOU dig it?

https://youtu.be/39nQ77IN04k

Does it get any better than funk from this era? I think the king of this era has to be https://youtu.be/y_moB85G7x

Sorry for thread crossover again...got my James confused for a second

I CAN dig it! Second link isn't working for me though Josh.

SKF I live for your posts....thank you sir and keep them coming please!

Same here. Forgive my effusiveness but I say the man is a national treasure. ;-)

Sorry for posting that in wrong thread. I'll stop doing that. It's just that now I have people to discuss this stuff with...love that!! Thanks for the warm welcome

Sorry Spleeeeny that was James Gadson, got off on a tangent there...i get excited to share what makes me happy in hopes it makes others happy. But sorry for wrong section post.

Sensational indeed. Man I love his drum sound! If that drum sound is dated, then its dated like chocolate ice cream is dated. Doesn't get much better for me.

Jim jumps the hurdle from playing a drum part that feels like it was stuck on top of the song to a drum part that is integral to the architecture of the foundation of the song. He makes it sound so perfectly natural, you almost take it for granted because it's so solid and reliable. How many hit songs was he on again?

To me personally, Jim is a much deeper drummer than his mentor Hal. No disrespect ever for Hal who probably bested Jim in number of hits. Just my personal take on it.

No one makes a song feel better and have a better chance of being a hit than Jim. To me he's the king of bread and butter drumming. Countless hits

Jim jumps the hurdle from playing a drum part that feels like it was stuck on top of the song to a drum part that is integral to the architecture of the foundation of the song. He makes it sound so perfectly natural, you almost take it for granted because it's so solid and reliable. How many hit songs was he on again?

To me personally, Jim is a much deeper drummer than his mentor Hal. No disrespect ever for Hal who probably bested Jim in number of hits. Just my personal take on it.
Could not agree more with Boogie and yourself. I think Hal play on 10x more hits but I like the music Jim played on more. Probably because I am younger. a lot of truly young drummers are missing out if they miss out on his music and catalogue!

Yeah, Jim just had a way of placing all the notes in just the right places, orchestrating with dynamics, phrasing and taste that always felt really, really good. I don't think he could NOT play that way--he always sounds so good on every recording. Live, studio, bootleg...the guy was just always on.

Back