Cowbell or China

I am trying to figure out whether to buy a Wuhan 16 or 18 inch china or a cowbell for my kit.
Which do you think is a better addition to the kit?
Also i want to know which stacker or mount you would recommend for the cowbell or china.
Cheers!

hey man
in my oppinion you should go for the cowbell
not because the wuhan cymbals are bad, but because you can get lnger lasting objects for the budget youll be spending
but at the end it is your decision, hope that helped!

Cowbell.......I've never used a china and can't see where I ever will.....in fact, I've barely used a cowbell.

But that's not really important. What does matter is, what do YOU think is the better addition?

Which one will you get more use out of? It's pointless having anything on your kit that is purely there for it's good looks. If your playing lends itself to use of a china, then get that....if you'll get more use out of a cowbell, then get that.

With respect to each item, ask yourself: What am I going to do with it? How often will I use it? What sounds am I trying to create with it? What sounds do I prefer? Answer those and you'll be closer to knowing which one will work best for YOU.

Get the one you'll get most use out of first, you can always save and buy the other later on.

Last edited:
you probably don't want a stacker for either. stackers are usually for splashes and other small (<14") effect cymbals. if you're going with a 16-18 china then you probably want just a normal cymbal stand. under 16 you could use a dogbone/boom-arm (like the Tama one which is around $35). for cowbells they make little clamps/attachments for stands that the cowbell hooks onto...

which to get? entirely up to you. china imo

you probably don't want a stacker for either. stackers are usually for splashes and other small (<14") effect cymbals. if you're going with a 16-18 china then you probably want just a normal cymbal stand. under 16 you could use a dogbone/boom-arm (like the Tama one which is around $35). for cowbells they make little clamps/attachments for stands that the cowbell hooks onto...

which to get? entirely up to you. china imo

Thanks for the advice but I'm putting a 10" xs20 splash on the stacker and I'm getting an 18" Wuhan china thanks guys

From a working drummer standpoint, the cowbell is the better choice. In fact, I'm a proponent that every drummer who wishes to work as a drummer be issued a cowbell.
The reason I only use a ride, crash and hats is because I also have a cowbell.

Look at it this way: if you go out and play with a band and someone requests "Honky Tonk Woman" - how do you do that without a cowbell? If you're playing for dancers and have to play anything latin, you're gonna need a cowbell. When someone says "More Cowbell" how can you respond to that if you don't have a cowbell? There are far more interesting rhythms to be played if you have a cowbell.

The fact is, and as funny as it sounds, you'll need a cowbell far more than a china cymbal. If you can't give the band what they need to keep working, there's plenty of drummers out there like me who have cowbells and are ready to give it to them. It's like a guitar player with a wah-wah pedal - as overused as it is and cliche'd, fact is, unless you're a star forcing your own music down someone else's throat, you're gonna have to supply the people with what they want to hear.

Besides, why couldn't you get both? A good LP Mambo bell and a hoop mount attachment won't cost you more than $40. However, if you do get both, don't blame me if that china gets played less and less....

I am trying to figure out whether to buy a Wuhan 16 or 18 inch china or a cowbell for my kit.
Also i want to know which stacker or mount you would recommend for the cowbell or china.
Cheers!
For me, chinas are more essential than cowbells (though I like and own cowbells, too), but I love chinas, far more than I like crash cymbals, and my set-ups and playing definitely reflect that--lately I've been setting up with only one crash most of the time. I use a lot of other "effects" cymbals, too (I was ecstactic when I discovered Hammerax, lol). I even use chinas and other effects cymbals in the function of a ride cymbal sometimes, and occasionally I use chinas on my hi-hat. But that's me. I'm not you. It depends on what you like the sound of more. What you'll use more.

I've had no problem with Wuhans, by the way. I've got a couple of them.

you probably don't want a stacker for either. stackers are usually for splashes and other small (<14") effect cymbals.
. . . although:

kit_v04.jpg

A good LP Mambo bell and a hoop mount attachment won't cost you more than $40.

The last cowbell I got was from a farm store and cost $7. In fact, I have a set of three (different sizes) and all cost only $17.

Both, if you have a medium to large kit. Each adds personality to your sound.

Having said that, I have neither in my current setup, although I have a mounted agogo. I don't use it much but it's good to have, just in case ...

it all depends on what kind of music you play. China is a real nice loud trashy sound, where cowbell is... well a cowbell sound. I love my mambo bell, but i play a lot of latin music.

it all depends on what kind of music you play. China is a real nice loud trashy sound, where cowbell is... well a cowbell sound. I love my mambo bell, but i play a lot of latin music.
i play rock and metal but the band is starting to learn rage songs and you cant play township rebellion without one
also which cowbell would you recommend and which attachment
Cheers

Back