Tallahassee? Music Scene?

tbmills

Gold Member
hey guys,
i am currently living in tuscaloosa, al, attending the university of alabama, and am contemplating transferring to a different school. my first choice is florida state university where i have two very good friends. there are a lot of things i have to consider for the change. tuition. curriculum. social life. and, why i posted this, music. i cant NOT play music and the music scene in tuscaloosa is terrible. really, the only acceptable genres to play are cover classic rock and cover country. (i have no problems with classic rock. dont jump me. im not knocking bonham.) but, i want to expand my playing to more funky, thick, experimental music like, my favorites, galactic, soulive, meters, john mayer trio, etc. i am originally from mobile, al, a city of around 350,000 people, and i have found that cities that can stand alone from a college tend to have a better music scene. the more adults the better... mobile has three college campuses (mobile, south alabama, spring hill) but it is no college town...

i am not looking for a nashville, atlanta, or new orleans. just something bigger and different.

what do you know about tallahassee music? what about fsu?

thanks guys.
tb

well, having been to Tallahassee numerous times and staying with friends, most of the music fans up there are either the "dudebro" types that hang out at college bars all the time, or indie kids into really obscure music. So, if you're playing popular music styles, there's a good chance you'll find some work at the decent number of venues in the area. As far as the mindset of the town, it seems to be very shallow and "fun" oriented. If it's maturity you're looking for in a music-listening populace, i don't think you'll find it there. However there's a ton of students, a ton of drinking, and that calls for music. Music that i generally DESPISE, but you could find work there, i'm fairly confident.

Trust me man, i know what it feels like to be in a city where nobody understands what's happening on stage unless it's a song that's been on the radio. That's why i'm in Boston right this very moment, looking for houses and getting a job.

well, having been to Tallahassee numerous times and staying with friends, most of the music fans up there are either the "dudebro" types that hang out at college bars all the time, or indie kids into really obscure music. So, if you're playing popular music styles, there's a good chance you'll find some work at the decent number of venues in the area. As far as the mindset of the town, it seems to be very shallow and "fun" oriented. If it's maturity you're looking for in a music-listening populace, i don't think you'll find it there. However there's a ton of students, a ton of drinking, and that calls for music. Music that i generally DESPISE, but you could find work there, i'm fairly confident.

that sounds alot like tuscaloosa. id imagine it is very similar only bigger. there are maybe 15 bars here for a full band to play in. some are strictly blues/jazz. some are strickly for touring bands (nobody huge, just bands like blind melon, corey smith). some are strickly original indie/folk.

my biggest problem with tuscaloosa is not the carefree fun attitude. its how everyone here is either cool, rich, wears pastel polos, in a fraternity, drinks alot, and listens to widespread panic and hank williams jr. or uncool, indie, wears thrift store clothes, knows every beatles and dylan song, is in love with the newest singer/songwriter who is without any apparent talent, and blindly despises "corporate" music.

alabama has a stigma of "cool" that impedes on the enjoyment of this time in my life. there seems to not be any middle ground.

Back