20 inch head suggestions

I recently purchased a set of PDP Concept Maples with a 20" kick. I love the drums, but I'm having a little trouble getting a big deep sound out of the kick. I have an Aquarian ported reso head on the front. On the batter side I've tried an Emad, Superkick, and my latest combo (by recommendation) is a Remo pinstripe with the Remo Muffl's ring control system. I'm trying not to put anything inside the drum...

If you want a "big deep sound" why are you using muffled heads and considering stuffing the drum? For the biggest, deepest sound, you want your drum as "open" as possible, tuned well with unmuffled heads and unported. Maybe try an unported front head with your batter head choices. Maybe do coated Ambassadors for both heads, or Fiberskyns if you want less sustain. For a "classic" big deep sound, you can't beat a pair of Ambassadors with felt strips.

Re: Head suggestions for 20" Kick

easy. go to fabric store - $5 for a sheet of white felt, cut your own strips.... whatever width you prefer (mine are 3" max)

Actually, for $5, you can buy felt strips at a Guitar Center that are 3" and quite thick. But the trick to felt strips is the way you mount it. It has to be tight up against the head. I usually start by taping one end to the shell, then taping the other end down (using gaf tape). Then I put the head on, and once it's mated together, then I take the tape off of the shell.

I run a PS3 coated batter over PS3 smooth white, with a felt strip on the batter side on my 20x14 8 ply keller maple.. unported is incredible. I just recently ported it because I was going to be micked up and all that, and its still awesome. During rehearsal the guitar player said my bass drum sounded like it was micked!

Just got an Evans EQ1. This is the head Ive been looking for from Evans. The emad (and gmad) have kinda a crappy action when it comes to rebound and what not. I just wish they made a white coated EQ1. Not a fan of the frosted stuff.

I have a related question for the all the felt strip enthusiasts.

I have been trying to get a nice boomy vintage sound out of my 20" kick. I have tried this on a Drumcraft birch and a 60's Rogers Holiday, both 20x14. I have a remo coated single ply batter and reso with a 1-1.5" felt strip on both heads. I have tried tuning both heads to the same tension at JAW and up in a jazz tone. Can't get it to sound good. At low tension it sounds sad and flappy and at higher tensions i'm getting that wierd boingy sound. I can't get both heads to ring in unision.

What can I do for it? More muffling? Thicker strips? Tune the reso higher than the batter?

...I hate small drums

Back