limping back from a dogged afternoon/new dents

jspitza

Hello all
Well, to make a very boring story short, I ended up replacing my emad2 this morning due to a crack that formed between the layers, probably because of my very heavy foot and wooden beater experiment. Just a few minutes ago, I noticed two fresh dents. I forgot to rotate the beater back to felt so I'm a little annoyed with myself to say the least. Also, I made darn sure that the beater was striking flat and not angled. Should I try a few extra aftermarket patches, live with it and see how it holds up or just replace it and chalk it up to a life lesson. As always, your humble servant, Jeff
P.S. My last head that I broke was in 1984.......

For the price, adding a new beater patch might be worth a try.

When I first tried a wooden beater another drummer warned me that heads don't last long with wooden beaters. He was right.

I had never used any patches before about two weeks ago. I play double pedal using a DW 9002 series. I don't play with the plastic hitting the head, at least not yet. But I figured that a little extra protection might save me a headache at a gig sometime.

I use a Remo FALAM Slam patch. Looking at the different products out there, I decided to go with this one because I had heard it before and liked the way it sounded on another bass drum. It sounds a little punchy to my ears. And, I was not a HUGE patch. It is just the right size to do the job. It is not too or much of a tone suck either.

http://www.evansdrumheads.com/EvProductDetail.Page?ActiveID=3567&productid=451&productname=AF_Patch_

I just installed these and I really don't think I'll ever need to replace that head again!!!! I actually hear a much more defined attack thus eliminating all thought on wood beaters. Also, I can totally unload a few rounds into my bass drum as its now wearing body armour!
Its strength comes from Aramid Fiber and has these qualities taken from Wikipedia:

flame-resistant clothing (example military MIL-G-181188B suits).
heat protective clothing and helmets
body armor,[8] competing with PE based fiber products such as Dyneema and Spectra
composite materials
asbestos replacement (e.g. brake linings)
hot air filtration fabrics
tires, newly as Sulfron (sulfur modified Twaron)
mechanical rubber goods reinforcement
ropes and cables
wicks for fire dancing
optical fiber cable systems
sail cloth (not necessarily racing boat sails)
sporting goods
drumheads
wind instrument reeds, such as the Fibracell brand
loudspeaker diaphragms
boathull material
fiber reinforced concrete
reinforced thermoplastic pipes
tennis strings (e.g. by Ashaway and Prince tennis companies)
hockey sticks (normally in composition with such materials as wood and carbon)
snowboards
jet engine enclosures

It sounds like its a very good product. Maybe I should look into it. What is the usual going price for it?

Hi Terrence:
It is a fantastic product and I paid around $10.00 for a package that contains two separate patches. Even with the dents I made, I have full confidence that I'll have get plenty of mileage from these......Once again thank you and thank you EVANS!!!!! If you guys made breakfast sausage, I'd buy it!!!! Jeff

Back