Vater Sticks

It part of the journey ...to try them all til you find your 'fit'. I've ended up at Vater - Stew Copelands, Fusions or Manhattans. Vater hickory is the densest, though Firth's is nice ( and Pro Marks 5A's too, but they are kinda light, and don't last as long.

I prefer Vater the most. I like the H220, Fusion, and 5A models. I will use others from time to time, but I always come back to them. Peace, love, and blues.

Got a free pair of Vater 5As at a drum clinic and never used them before. I haven't used anything but them since.

Vic Firths are straight but they have never lasted me a day longer than any other sticks.

Vic Firths are straight but they have never lasted me a day longer than any other sticks.

so a bent stick is fine as long as it lasts long?

in every single brick of Vater and Pro Mark sticks I have ever bought there has been at least one that wouldn't roll

not a good look in my opinion

never once happened with a Vic

I love Vater 5B's! I find them the perfect stick for my hands, and find they are reliable, straight, powerful, and long lasting. I've been using Vater for over six years, and haven't found anything better.

in every single brick of Vater and Pro Mark sticks I have ever bought there has been at least one that wouldn't roll

I prefer the feel of Vater Power 5Bs to V.F. Extreme 5Bs. I do find the occasional warped stick, though.

Right now,I am playing Zildjians.I was given several bricks by a friend. I like the feel and they are surprisingly straight. I can remember when there were more warped Zildjian sticks than straight ones.

I prefer the feel of Vater Power 5Bs to V.F. Extreme 5Bs. I do find the occasional warped stick, though.

Right now,I am playing Zildjians.I was given several bricks by a friend. I like the feel and they are surprisingly straight. I can remember when there were more warped Zildjian sticks than straight ones.

I actually like the feel of Zildjian sticks.
its just that the last time I had a brick there were about 5 straight sticks in it

Zildjian might have a new convert. With my luck, they will go back to looking like boomerangs,as soon as I actually have to pay for them.

Last edited:

Ive literally used hundreds, maybe thousands of Vater sticks and Ive never had ANY issue with bent/curved/out of round ever. They are always consistent.

F

Ive literally used hundreds, maybe thousands of Vater sticks and Ive never had ANY issue with bent/curved/out of round ever. They are always consistent.

F

Having not gigged extensively since "converting" to Vater sticks, I really haven't been through enough of them to be able to make a definitive claim based on using large numbers. But with what I have been through, I've never found a bent stick. To put it in context, I don't buy bricks as I don't churn through sticks quickly enough to bother anymore. But I was brought up to roll every single stick I ever buy. To date, I've never had to lay a Vater stick aside......they've all been straight.
Although I've probably used more VF, Pro-Mark and possibly even Zildjian sticks (my least favourite) in my time......I can't say the same for any of them.

This is kind of an FYI. I stopped by my local Guitar Center today and they had pairs of Vater 5A Wood Tip Specials on sale for $3 for Father's Day. I have never played them before, but I really like them. I bought 2 pair and I might get a couple more while they are still on sale. I didn't ask if this was a nationwide sale, but most GC sales usually are, so you all might want to check it out.

Just got the Vater 8A instead of the 7A, in sugar maple. These are slightly thicker than the 7A, which compensates for the light weight of maple. I love them, they are the perfect pair for me (pair of sticks I mean...)

I've been using power 5b's and the difference between these and the Vic firths i was using prior is that I'm not splintering the tips or splintering where I rimshot, they just get a bit warped after a while until they're not nice to play anymore and then I get a fresh set. They're pretty damn durable.

Def a good brand!

I have been using the Vater New Orleans model stick for a few years now and it is stellar. The stick is slightly narrower than a 5A, which I love. I used Vics for years, but nothing feels as good to me as the Vaters.

Mot a fan of the Vaters, have had better luck with the Vic's and like the feel much better as well.

Back