How do I know if I have the RIGHT pair of sticks?

oBIGxREDo

OK guys please don't flame me if this is already up.

I'm not entirely sure about this though, I've tried various brands and sizes of sticks over the years and I just don't know which is more right for me?

I know it depends on whats most comfortable and the style of music cause you obviously don't wanna be smacking crash cymbals throughout a song and using 7A's.

I just bought today a pair of Promark American Hickory 5A's and they feel comfortable but when I hit the crashes to ride on them it feels like I have to hit harder to get the sound out because of the size of the stick.

I also have a pair of 5B Vic Firth and those felt way too heavy on the top half of the stick

Can you guys help me out on tips I'm open to all brands but Ahead. I've tried em and I'm not a heavy metal player anyway and I don't break sticks THAT often.

One reason the vics might feel heavy is the taper, so you might try 5b from other companies as well. Also, you might try one of any of the many companies "extreme" 5a sticks. They have a longer length so in theory you get more power, I really like the extra length. But the way I find a stick that feels good is based on power and feel. I love the feel of 5a, but they feel too flimsy, meaning that I use 5b and up pretty much exclusively. So my suggestion is either man up and hit your cymbals like they owe you money, or get bigger sticks! :)

What types of music do you play? I'm always getting different styles of sticks to try out and after as many years playing drums as I've had, you would believe that I would have this nailed down by now. I play just about any genre of music, except metal and I've basically use nothing heavier than in the ballpark of a 5A. I also frequently use 7A sticks and love the feel, balance and sound of the Steve Gadd sticks. Last week I picked up some Zoro sticks made by Vic Firth because the tips sounded great on cymbals. My suggestion would be to get a couple of pairs at your friendly neighborhood drum store and give them a try. With the amount of sticks out there in this day and age, there's something for everyone, you just have to try them out and put your brand on the ones that feel the best for the style of music you play.

Dennis

What types of music do you play? I'm always getting different styles of sticks to try out and after as many years playing drums as I've had, you would believe that I would have this nailed down by now. I play just about any genre of music, except metal and I've basically use nothing heavier than in the ballpark of a 5A. I also frequently use 7A sticks and love the feel, balance and sound of the Steve Gadd sticks. Last week I picked up some Zoro sticks made by Vic Firth because the tips sounded great on cymbals. My suggestion would be to get a couple of pairs at your friendly neighborhood drum store and give them a try. With the amount of sticks out there in this day and age, there's something for everyone, you just have to try them out and put your brand on the ones that feel the best for the style of music you play.

Dennis

I mostly play hard rock, and alternative pop rock.
but I still occasionally play like lighter stuff such as Chrstian worship/rock music too only I usually will use hot rods or thunder rods or something of that nature.

I mostly play hard rock, and alternative pop rock.
but I still occasionally play like lighter stuff such as Chrstian worship/rock music too only I usually will use hot rods or thunder rods or something of that nature.

For what you mostly play you shouldn't need anything larger than a "extreme" 5b sized, hell I play metal with 5b sticks sometimes. But since you play a variety of music, vary your aresenal. I mostly play metal, but I have right now a pair of 2b, 5b, 5a, 2 pairs 7a, the birch tala wands, 2 Dave Weckl (did I spell that right?) signatures, hordes of Ralph Hardimon marching sticks, and a multi-rod stick pair. Morale of the story, always be prepared.

I use Regal 5B Maples. They are big enough for my hands, light because of the wood, have a large tip and last a long time. But don't buy them. I have a hard enough time finding them so don't use up the supply. :)

I used to use "extreme" 5Bs, but I since switched down to basically a 5A (Trilock Gurtu Sig) because they sounded better on cymbals and had a great feel. And once your technique and tuning practices are solid you can get as much volume as the drum or cymbal will produce quite easily as well as having more dynamic control. (I play mostly hard rock, surfer rock, and covers from 60s to today, but practice everything except blasting) On the plus side because over-hitting is hard my heads, sticks, and tuning last longer. So find your comfortable size probably in the 5A to 5B range and they will start to float in your hands.

PS I found them by just going to the store and trying out like 20 different pairs based on sound on cymbals and feel.

I use Regal 5B Maples. They are big enough for my hands, light because of the wood, have a large tip and last a long time. But don't buy them. I have a hard enough time finding them so don't use up the supply. :)

+1 on the maple suggestion. I use SD9's (Vater makes a sweet SD9 in Sugar Maple) because they are about a 5B / Rock size but they weight less than a 5A. Feels like playing a big stick with out the weight. I like the way they sound on the drums and cymbals, too.

Ive also wondered about this. I play extreme metal and 7as make blasting easier but i break them like crazy. So i use 5a not as easy to blast but easyer on my wallet

I had this dilemma just last week. My solution was to bulk-buy twelve pairs of a neutral size (I chose 5A) and to use them until they have all broken. If after using twelve pairs of 5A I like them then I'll stick with them. The brand I got is "Chord" and they are extremely cheap for hickory sticks (equivalent to about $3 a pair) and I'm very very impressed.

Incidentally, I'd argue that there is no "right" or "wrong" stick for the job... if you're finding that your crash isn't sounding loud enough and you're using hickory sticks, maybe it's your technique! I don't like the feel of 7As very much, but I can play anything with them... same goes for 2Bs.

I just bought today a pair of Promark American Hickory 5A's and they feel comfortable but when I hit the crashes to ride on them it feels like I have to hit harder to get the sound out because of the size of the stick.

I also have a pair of 5B Vic Firth and those felt way too heavy on the top half of the stick

Try a Promark 747. Sounds like what you may be looking for.

Try a Promark 747. Sounds like what you may be looking for.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Pro-Mark-American-Hickory-Drumsticks-100098578-i1137147.gc

Which 747? ^^^

And what about the one torwards the bottom of the drop box called a TX747BW

Whats TX even mean? I've never heard of any of these sticks you're talking about haha.

Back