A Christmas question for Aussies and other Southern Hemisphere friends

brady

Platinum Member
My wife and I were discussing random Christmas songs the other day. After all these years on this planet, we still don't know what Christmas songs you guys sing down under.

What brought this up was obviously songs like "Let It Snow", "White Christmas", "Winter Wonderland" etc. are probably lost on most of you. So we wondered what the most popular tune might be.

Or do you go with something more "seasonal" and sing tunes like Van Halen's "Summer Nights" or perhaps a duet of "Summer Lovin'?

Despite the sheer irony (not to mention sheer stupidity), we're very well versed in all the standard xmas carols that refer to cold winters nights by the fire and snowbells and sleighs and reindeer.

Ever wondered why kids from the southern hemisphere look particularly confused in December?

It's not without its own cheap entertainment though. Nothing funnier than watching Santa wandering the streets dressed in his finest woollen red suit pretending to spread xmas cheer, whilst sweltering away in 40 degrees celcius (105F). Bloody hilarious!!

My wife and I were discussing random Christmas songs the other day. After all these years on this planet, we still don't know what Christmas songs you guys sing down under.

What brought this up was obviously songs like "Let It Snow", "White Christmas", "Winter Wonderland" etc. are probably lost on most of you. So we wondered what the most popular tune might be.

Or do you go with something more "seasonal" and sing tunes like Van Halen's "Summer Nights" or perhaps a duet of "Summer Lovin'?
Khe Sahn or Cheap Wine are the most popular Xmas songs in our culture.
(Can't wait for Grea, Dre and PFOG to chime in on this one)...

We sing Waltzing Matilda....'cause that's quite simply the only song worth singing, holidays or not.

Pat on the back for anyone who can tell me what Waltzing Matilda means?

The Poms tell me it's about shagging sheep.......but personally, I think they're just pissed that the cricket isn't going according to plan.

You need to bear in mind that the timing of the Christmas celebrations came about as a way of displacing pre-existing pagan celebrations of the winter solstice.

As a result, most southern hemisphere nations celebrate Christmas on June 25.

December 25 is just another day to us.

You need to bear in mind that the timing of the Christmas celebrations came about as a way of displacing pre-existing pagan celebrations of the winter solstice.

As a result, most southern hemisphere nations celebrate Christmas on June 25.

December 25 is just another day to us.

See why this site is so awesome? I had no idea.

I know the histroy of how Christmas came to be celebrated in December, I just assumed the whole world did it on the same day.

This actually makes more sense. Thanks.

Believe it or not I actually researched the phrase "waltzing Matilda" after hearing the song "and the band played waltzing Matilda". Matilda was the name the drovers have their packs and to waltz your Matilda meant you travelled all over the place with it.

Check out the song incredibly moving tale about gallipoli

I know the histroy of how Christmas came to be celebrated in December, I just assumed the whole world did it on the same day.

You're telling me Santa has to do the long haul twice a year? June and again in December?

Man, I won't be so quick to giggle at him sweltering in the scorching summer sun from here on in.

That it is.

Our supposed "baptism of fire" as a fledgling young nation.

Believe it or not I actually researched the phrase "waltzing Matilda" after hearing the song "and the band played waltzing Matilda". Matilda was the name the drovers gave their packs and to waltz your Matilda meant you travelled all over the place with it.

We have a winner and your Pat on the back is on it's way. Yep Matilda was the sack and when they left town to move on they were Waltzing Matilda. Very nice.

This post made my day.
(We also have drop bears in Oz you need to watch out for)

This post made my day.
(We also have drop bears in Oz you need to watch out for)

You $#%^#%$&^#&%s!!!!

That was a joke? Yeah....ya got me on that one. You guys are good....

I'm glad I made your day though.

You $#%^#%$&^#&%s!!!!

That was a joke? Yeah....ya got me on that one. You guys are good....

I'm glad I made your day though.

Hee hee! I told all of my bandmates about that one. Priceless.

Back