What's your favorite Single Pedal? I need some help!

I just discovered the screws holding the hinge to the heel plate on my old DW5000 have eaten away at the screw holes, and the teeth on half the cam have deteriorated to little nubs . the chain keeps falling of the cam, and the foot board now pivots side to side. The heart rate monitor for this thing is getting pretty dang close to flat. Its been good to me for 9 years. and I'm the second owner! who knows how old it really is...

So i narrowed its replacement down to three:
1) DW5000 (stick with the old faithful brand, get another decade+ of use)
2) Tama Iron Cobra (flexi, power, or rolling glide...I'll just have to try em)
3) Tama Speed Cobra (same price as IC, and its supposed to be faster. Who knows, maybe I'll like the long board)

You guys helped knock the eliminator off my list. Now I just have to try em out at GC.

Last edited:
I just discovered the screws holding the hinge to the heel plate on my old DW5000 have eaten away at the screw holes, and the teeth on half the cam have deteriorated to little nubs . the chain keeps falling of the cam, and the foot board now pivots side to side. The heart rate monitor for this thing is getting pretty dang close to flat. Its been good to me for 9 years. and I'm the second owner! who knows how old it really is...

So i narrowed its replacement down to three:
1) DW5000 (stick with the old faithful brand, get another decade+ of use)
2) Tama Iron Cobra (flexi, power, or rolling glide...I'll just have to try em)
3) Tama Speed Cobra (same price as IC, and its supposed to be faster. Who knows, maybe I'll like the long board)

You guys helped knock the eliminator off my list. Now I just have to try em out at GC.

Good luck in your search! Let us know what you go for :)

Funny story. Today, i decided to tinker with my DW 5000 and see if I could resurrect it. I took it apart, looked for the parts that were causing all the problems, and it looked like all it needed was a new hinge, and a new cam. I then remembered I had another old DW5000 in my attic (I know, weird). It was one that had those little metal poles kind of like the modern 6000. I broke the pole assembly after a few months, and so i just just chucked it in the attic. I tracked it down today, salvaged the hinge and the cam, put it on my ole faithful 5000 and TADA! good as new! just saved myself nearly $200 today haha. hopefully i can get a few more years out of this thing now.

and if that was a let down, and you were waiting for me to choose the pedal of my dreams, i probably would have bought the Iron cobra power glide haha....

Funny story. Today, i decided to tinker with my DW 5000 and see if I could resurrect it. I took it apart, looked for the parts that were causing all the problems, and it looked like all it needed was a new hinge, and a new cam. I then remembered I had another old DW5000 in my attic (I know, weird). It was one that had those little metal poles kind of like the modern 6000. I broke the pole assembly after a few months, and so i just just chucked it in the attic. I tracked it down today, salvaged the hinge and the cam, put it on my ole faithful 5000 and TADA! good as new! just saved myself nearly $200 today haha. hopefully i can get a few more years out of this thing now.

and if that was a let down, and you were waiting for me to choose the pedal of my dreams, i probably would have bought the Iron cobra power glide haha....

When the hinge goes (in the process of going) the side to side movement of the foot board causes the chain to wear away the teeth on the sprocket. This happens with all toothed cam chain drive pedals- CAMCO, DW etc.

DW did redesign their heel plate hinge in response and TAMA proceeded with the evolution of the CAMCO-IRON COBRA which follows the same dimensions of the CAMCO with beffier parts.

Other manufactures just eliminated the bottom teeth on the cam, or got rid of the teeth completely in favor of a grooved cam.

My favorite pedal is the DW 5000, with the double chain and the footplate. It's been almost 10 years now and it's not showing any signs of slowing down. Like me lol. I never even have to think about it.

I got me a used DW5000 some months ago. A couple of days ago I realised that after I'd set it up I haven't touched it once to make adjustments.

The best stuff is the stuff that is so reliable that you don't even notice it's there.

i was in a similar situation a couple of years ago. my old school dw 5000 single chain pedal was wore out with no life left in it. I replaced it with a new dw 5000 ad3 double chain pedal & never looked back. It just plays smooth & sweet kinda like my wife...lol

keep swattin'
Bonzolead

Back