What's your favorite Single Pedal? I need some help!

sbrennt

Hey everyone! this is my first post in this forum. I have been gleaning for some time and i finally decided to join. Any way on to the question.

I have been playing with an old school DW 5000 for almost 9 years now. I'm talking the ones with the single chain drive. its finally started to fall apart, and every time i play it, it feels like a medieval catapult. My doubles are near impossible now, and no amount of adjusting has helped it. its on its death bed. :(

So i'm looking for a pedal in the 150-200 US $ range. Chain drive, and good for heel up style. Power and speed are good, but not if deteres the magical feel between me and bass drum. I will try out several models at a store, but the test of time is the best judge of gear.

So whats your FAVORITE (not best) single pedal you've owned? please skip the whole "nothing is best" routine, as I am well aware that no piece of gear reigns supreme, and its all subjective.

Also, whats is your guys' opinion on buying used pedals?

(woops, not my first post, but it has been awhile. sorry!)

Last edited:
(woops, not my first post, but it has been awhile. sorry!)
Correct ;-) Although not that important.

You could also simply edit your post - in case you detected some misinformation, which just happens to most of us every now and then - and nobody would notice. No real need to correct oneself at the bottom of the post to make the mistake bluntly clear, haha. Anyway, we're discussing minor things... Back on topic.

For me 2 best pedals in the market are pearl2000C eliminator and tama Iron Cobra power glide. I use my eliminators for 7years everyday and have had no issues with the. Still in a good shape

For me 2 best pedals in the market are pearl2000C eliminator and tama Iron Cobra power glide. I use my eliminators for 7years everyday and have had no issues with the. Still in a good shape

The eliminator seems cool because of all the cam options. I've seen nothing but praise for that pedal.

Agree. But when you'll find the cam and other adjustments that suits you best you won't be touching other cams :)

My favorite is this Camco from 30 years ago. If you're looking for something "modern" I really enjoy this double chain drive 9500 series from Yamaha...

Attachments

• phpThumb.jpg
    phpThumb.jpg
    11.5 KB · Views: 982
  • YFP9500CX_ip.jpg
    YFP9500CX_ip.jpg
    24.2 KB · Views: 740
My favorite pedal is the DW 5000, with the double chain and the footplate. It's been almost 10 years now and it's not showing any signs of slowing down. Like me lol. I never even have to think about it.

Yamaha 7210 Strap Drive all the way.
I'm nearly a religious follower of this pedal. It's affordable, and feels amazing. I've been calling it the poor man's "Pefect Balance" pedal, because the feel and response are really close. The only issue I have with this pedal is the two prongs vs. a base plate.

If you can find one and try it out, give it a run. This an A+ pedal.

My favorite pedal is the DW 5000, with the double chain and the footplate. It's been almost 10 years now and it's not showing any signs of slowing down. Like me lol. I never even have to think about it.

same uncle Lar

12 years on the same pedal right now

20 + tours and countless hours of rehearsal and studio time and she works like she just came out of the box

That footpedal has been directly responsible for a decade's worth of countless people's dancing good times. It's pretty cool to think about it that way. No drumstick or head can make that claim, but my 5000 can.

I really can't pinpoint a favorite. I love my Trick Pro 1 V pedal, really like my strap drives by Yamaha and Tama and my DW 5000 fits in there somewhere too. I have no passion at all for my Pearl P2000 when compared to the others.

Dennis

I have to admit, I've been really playing my Tama Iron Cobra Juniors alot. Moreso than any other pedal. It probably has something to do with the plate, because the pedal isn't anything special. I might even say it's just another Camco copy - but I've yet to wear anything out on mine - both are still going strong (meaning one is at home with the 'home hardware', and the other one lives in the case with the 'gig hardware' that gets taken out for jobs). I do like those new Yamaha pedals and have the one with the chain and optional strap drive, those are great. However, they feel very light and responsive and aren't "slammy" enough for me.

I have no passion at all for my Pearl P2000 when compared to the others.

Dennis

and thats where I run into a problem. The eliminators seem cool because of the features per dollar, but when I look at it I feel like it has no soul. Call me a freak, but for some reason, I like my gear to have some character, some personality.

The Tama stuff seems to be a little more alive to me, and the DW5000 has that same old red plate we have come to know and love. To me, the eliminator just seems, i don't know, boring. its too normal. I get that "just another pedal" feeling.

Last edited:
I agree with the posts about the eliminators... I use them and they just feel meh. I struggle to get off a quick run on them, doubles are out of the question, I've played cheap pedals at school that have been faster than the eliminators and I'm really starting to consider selling them on and buying something else

I got Jojo Mayer's Perfect Balance pedal roughly 6 months ago and right out of the box it is hands down the smoothest pedal I've ever played.

Old school pearl lefty. Why? Because its lefty! Why else? Because after 6 years and being in a fire and hosed with water, it still make a thump. About 1 month ago I had to replace the driveshaft. I think the housefire and fact that its NEVER been oiled, may have made it wear out in less than 10 years. Another reason... the footplate is smooth and recognizes my skate shoes. Another reason: dual chain and dual spring, even on the remote pedal. Most don't bother anymore. Lastly, I can adjust the foot pad really high and it runs smooth.

Attachments

• pearl lefty1.jpg
    pearl lefty1.jpg
    134.9 KB · Views: 702
Last edited:
Old school pearl lefty. Why? Because its lefty! Why else? Because after 6 years and being in a fire and hosed with water, it still make a thump. About 1 month ago I had to replace the driveshaft. I think the housefire and fact that its NEVER been oiled, may have made it wear out in less than 10 years. Another reason... the footplate is smooth and recognizes my skate shoes. Another reason: dual chain and dual spring, even on the remote pedal. Most don't bother anymore. Lastly, I can adjust the foot pad really high and it runs smooth.

Don't mean to hijack the thread here but I've always wondered about this, what difference does 2 springs on the slave pedal actually make?

Don't mean to hijack the thread here but I've always wondered about this, what difference does 2 springs on the slave pedal actually make?

I mis-typed that. It has only one spring on the slave, where most come with none. The 3 spring setup allows for more range of tension. I can adjust the slave to balance, then adjust the master. The driveshaft length and angle make this adjustment nice. Also, It allows you to use the slave pedal solo in a or use it for parts in a jam! Sorry that didn't answer you question, as I don't know why 2 springs on a slave would help. . .

Last edited:
I mis-typed that. It has only one spring on the slave, where most come with none. The 3 spring setup allows for more range of tension. I can adjust the slave to balance, then adjust the master. The driveshaft length and angle make this adjustment nice. Also, It allows you to use the slave pedal solo in a or use it for parts in a jam! Sorry that didn't answer you question, as I don't know why 2 springs on a slave would help. . .

Nah that's what I meant by 2 springs on the slave, thanks for clearing that up :)

Back