Which drum heads for Pearl Rhythm Traveler?

neyney

hi! i just bought my drum set, Pearl Rhythm Traveler. i love the snare sound but my tomtoms(10,12,14) sound are just OK to me. i would like to change the drum heads as i read it affects the sound. i m just new to drumming..started last year and my play style is rock/alternative. Please suggest me a good drum head to produce the rock sound for my drum.. THANKS! :D :D and oh dont forget the bass(20x8)

Hi. Please don't create double threads on the same topic in various sections (= forum rules). That's why I deleted your other thread and also edited the thread title. A thread title should be obvious so people would know what the thread is about (= forum rules) without having to guess or click to see. Please keep this in mind.

There's all kinds of great experienced drummers on here that can help u, as long as u follow the rules.

I think the toms heads you're looking for would probably be Evans EC2 coated. They're really warm, yet they have a great dampening ring that produces nearly no overtones. Also, very durable.

I like using the Evans Emad batter kick drum head with the smallest dampening ring installed.

Everyone is different as far as what they're looking for sound wise. But I know these heads work best for me in a hard rock setting.

To some extent, you are going to be limited by the shallow, single-headed toms on your kit as to how "rock" you can get your sound. I recommend EC2s or Remo Pinstripes to get a more resonant, fuller sound with a little muffling (since those toms love to ring and resonate). Best wishes.

Also, if you find that the Tom heads we mentioned will still have too much ringing, then maybe you may want to consider the Aquirian Performance 2 heads. There's all kinds of info on them online. Check 'em out. But consider the fact that people are putting them on standard and fusion drums in most cases. Good luck!

nice guys! thanks for the reply. i might check the evans ec2. i've read bout the Powerstroke 3 on bass and it sounds awesome on it..is it true?

which EC2's i go with? Frosted/coated,clear or coated? btw,theres a new evans,black chrome..anyone have em?

Hi Guys

I have just bought a PRT kit (second-hand) to try out mainly for rehearsals (I play in a big band). So far the snare with just coated ambassador is fantastic. I had some barely used Aquarian single ply coated which I put on the toms and I am quite happy with those - I like a lot of after-tone and they are certainly powerful enough for the purpose.

Now comes the Bass drum!!! Still has stock heads - I've cut a front port-hole and put a little felt muffling on the batter head - not quite happening yet.... I am going to try the Emad-2 based on some advice here (thanks) unless you have any further advice - the bass drum is OK but I want a bit more "depth" in its tone - its volume I can cope with.

I must say that this little kit feels solidly built and nicer than my previous Gretsch Catalina club Jazz kit (since sold). But hey, I know all this stuff is personal etc...

If it doesn't work out, I'll sell it and continue to cart my Premier Genista to rehearsals.

Thanks

Pete (in the land of "Oz")

Just thought I would feedback my decision and experience in case anyone else may be interested.....

Went for the Evans Emad 2 for the bass drum - WOW!! what a difference.
Will be keeping this kit now as everything else on it is great.

The Emad 2 just gave it the "depth" I needed - now sounds like a bass drum!!!

Cheers

Pete :)

This limited edition finish looks great. Maybe it's only available in Japan?? (Sorry about the large image.)

http://www.pearlgakki.com/_blog/?p=17517

rt545nc_gs0808_0161.jpg

Back