The Zoom Q3 HD

drumhedd

How is this bad boy with recording drums? I'm looking for an easy way to keep records of my practicing, and throw some decent clips on the web for a little shameless self-promotion.

Worth it?

I've been eyeing that model for a while also.
Seems pretty cool, just haven't wanted to part with $299...

Its the best way to record your music without getting mics and a mixer. YouTube zoom q3hd drum covers and you will see some people doing decent covers with it.

Last edited:
they're freaking excellent. the only bad thing about them is they dont capture kick drums that well..

Yes that's a good point, you can do a bit of Eq in post to up the low end, but placement helps as well.

Thanks folks. Yeah, kicks will always be a pain without a proper rig. I tune my bass drums to be very short and clicky (most of the time), so I feel as thought they'll at least cut through just fine even if the tone suffers. I've managed to find some places carrying warrantied factory refurb units for as low as 180-ish from time to time, which would make it even more of a no-brainer.

I wonder though, is the software included any decent? I'm defnitely not putting up with Windows Movie Maker's crap any more, as it doesn't even do proper HD.

they're freaking excellent. the only bad thing about them is they dont capture kick drums that well..

Is this an artifact of the recording or the playback system of the unit? In other words, did you try playing back the recording through a larger or better speaker system or headphones? If it's a fault of the recording process, try moving the unit to more favor the bass drum.

Dennis

Is this an artifact of the recording or the playback system of the unit? In other words, did you try playing back the recording through a larger or better speaker system or headphones? If it's a fault of the recording process, try moving the unit to more favor the bass drum.

Dennis

i own yamaha hs50m's and audiotechnica ad700s... they are good quality speakers/headphones. a lot of the music i listen to has a really present kick and when you take the zoom audio and place a backing track ontop of it, the kick gets lost quite easy. its not that bad just for my personal tastes i'd like more kick.

Back