1 up, 3 down?

joshvibert

Here's a current birdseye of my kit. It's 10 up, 12, 14 down. The main reason for this setup is to keep the ride over my kick. That's very important to me. I also have a 16" hanging tom that matches this kit, but I've yet to use it because I can't figure out a good way to mount it. I thought about putting it on my left beside the hats. Anyone played 1 up, 3 down? Any ideas on how to make this work? What about putting the 14/16 on the right and the 12 on the left? I seldom play sequential rolls on the toms, so they don't necessarily need to be in order.

Thanks for the help/input!

07032011178.jpg

Don't laugh: leave the 10" where it is, then go 16"-14" on the right and hang the 12" on the left. Thank me later...

Personally, I'd lose the 10" and do the 12" up top with the 14" on the left and the 16" on the right (I prefer a quasi-symmetrical setup).

Don't laugh: leave the 10" where it is, then go 16"-14" on the right and hang the 12" on the left. Thank me later...

Personally, I'd lose the 10" and do the 12" up top with the 14" on the left and the 16" on the right (I prefer a quasi-symmetrical setup).

I like the 10 up. I just don't enjoy having a 12 up there, too low-pitched for what I'm doing.

Am I understanding you to recommend inverting the 14 and 16 on the right side? In other words, the 16 closer to the kick and the 14 after that? I'm open to it, but why?

thanks!

If you want to leave the ride where it is, I would put the 10,12 up to the left of the ride, and put the 14, 16 on the floor to your right.

If you want to leave the ride where it is, I would put the 10,12 up to the left of the ride, and put the 14, 16 on the floor to your right.

Then he'd have to move his hats over to the left a bit.

I've seen a few guys put a floor tom to their left. I suppose you really don't need them in order if you're not doing the standard "Hawaii Five O" fill. Dom Famulario's kit comes to mind but I'm sure there are many. I really can't think of anyone that actually has a one-up 3-down setup though. I'm sure it'd look great though.

Yeah, but I had my Deedubs set up that way and really didn't like it. Had to sell the kit because I couldn't handle the reach to the hi-hats...
Really. You would hate my kit then. :) I find you can get used to anything within reason.

0 up, 3 down ..... don't be afraid to move stuff around ... you can always move it back, if you don't like a certain placement ...

Attachments

• ludwig1.jpg
    ludwig1.jpg
    111.5 KB · Views: 1,302
  • ludwig2.jpg
    ludwig2.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 1,313
I like the 10 up. I just don't enjoy having a 12 up there, too low-pitched for what I'm doing.

Am I understanding you to recommend inverting the 14 and 16 on the right side? In other words, the 16 closer to the kick and the 14 after that? I'm open to it, but why?

thanks!

I have thought of doing this exact same thing with my set, with exact same sized toms. Thanks for putting this up as it gives me some ideas.

I thought about that too and am intrigued by it. Do you put the 12 flat and at the same height as the 2 floors or is it slightly raised and angled?

personally I would have it slightly raised and angled. check out like ronald bruner jr, i think he has the 12 like this. and i know teddy campell has a 10 inch snare there as well.

Back