Recording set up.....

JTH

Hey all i would like your guys opinion on these what im getting to set up for recording :)
-PRESONUS FIRESTUDIO PROJECT
-SAMSON 8KIT DRUMSET
-4 Microphone stands
-8 , 6m xlr-xlr cable

Feedback is welcome! :D

Hey JTH,

I'm fairly new to drumming and recording but like a lot of my other interests I learn about all aspects of what I'm passionate about. I'm slowly building a little home studio for myself, nothing top of the line but good for my needs.

Which Samson mics are you getting? The ones I see on ebay all the time?

Anyway, I was able to get a 5pc Samson Mic Set from a friend who didn't use them for $50 because the rim clamps were busted. I did my homework before hand and wasn't expecting much...it does the job but it's nothing great. I'm hoping to pick up some Shure57's soon or even save up for some Audix Mics.

I don't mind stretching my $$ and saving on a great deal but really for mics or for anything drum related for that matter...you get what you pay for.

Do you really need 8 mics? How big is your kit?

hey dude.. well my kit is basically 2 crashes 1 ride 1hh and basic 5piece pearl forum ^^
the mics are the samson 8 kit ^^

im only 16 and i got a job and ivebeen saving up so i wanted to get a decent/alrightish mic set up so i can do a few covers and record some bands :)

What I recommend...

Presonus Firebox (if you can get a hold of one, I see them pop up on Craigslist once in a while for 150 or so)

Rode M3 or AKG C1000 (one for now, get a second one later) I picked mine up for 150

Shure SM57 for your snare (between 50 and 110 depending on if you get it new or used)

Shure Beta52 or an AKG D112 for the kick (I see between 100 and 200 on Craigslist or in stores)

Get a couple 20' foot cables, a clip on for the snare mic, a boom for your overhead, and a short stand for the kick.

The total setup should run you roughly 500 - 750, but you definitely get what you pay for. I've used the Samson setup and the CAD setup and I would honestly pay the extra, use less mics, and get a far better sound. I started with just an SM57 and Rode M3 and recorded entire albums using just that setup. My most recent recording was done with two C1000s, an SM57 on the snare, and a Beta52 on the kick. The toms were triggered.

You can always buy more SM57s, overheads, kicks, cables, condensers later. But don't be cheap and get something poor quality, you'll only be disappointed. Also, the firebox should come with Cubase, although there are free programs available all over the internet.

I don't know what the cost is on the Samson microphone package and I never saw one, but if it was me, I would same up some money and buy some Shure SM57s. Just buy one or two at a time until you have what you need. These are very versatile pro quality microphones that won't disappoint you. I usually use these on my rack toms among a hundred other uses.

Dennis

It seems that the Samson C02 condenser sets (two for $139) make great overheads for the money. I haven't heard any of the other Samson mics.

Back