Joey Castillo

I must concur, Joey is slick. In fact, it's his fault that I got a jam block and tambourine . Well, his and Ringo's (Ticket to Ride), but whatever. The fact that he speeds up live, however, does annoy the bejesus out of me. They did it to Little Sister on Saturday Night Live so it's definitely not limited to the older stuff. I would have to agree with the bunch that it's probably a band decision. Maybe they're in a hurry to get Josh off stage before there's an incident. ;)

Brilliant drummer, brilliant band.
Saw them at reading festival this year, so epic.

wise if you talk about money, but retarded if you talk about high quality cymbals, it obvious zildjian paid him tons of money.

My band did a show with EODM, & I talked to him about the Zildjian/Paiste switch.
He said he really wanted to hear something different after using Paiste all his playing life.
He also said the Paiste's were just not cutting through the band and competing with 3 or 4 guitars going--especially the Giant Beats when Paiste gave him one of the first sets of them.

He, like most Zildjian endorsers I'm sure gets a certain amount of gear supplied for tours, overseas things, TV shows etc... at no charge, or at cost, but I highly doubt he was paid to switch over.
Paiste used to have a policy that an artist would get a set amount of product free, but after that paid at least cost on what they needed. I don't know what their deal is now, but that was direct from a Paiste company rep at a Paiste sponsored event.
Most companies probably work the same way.

Zildjian and Paiste both make high quality products, so the "retarded" argument is pointless.
If Paiste does it for you, that's great because they make kick ass cymbals.
I'm sure Joey STILL digs all his Paiste's, it's just they aren't what he's hearing for his music now.

Even if some of these comments are three years old, I feel a need to comment on some of them.

Not even specifically regarding Joey Castillo, speeding up a song while playing live (compared to the recording) is not a fault. You're playing live. It's not a recording. You're doing what's in the moment, which isn't always necessarily trying to replicate what you were doing in the past.

Back