Roland V-Drums - Opinions?

Simple reason: mesh heads, no matter how loose you tune them will mess up your technique. Playing mesh is too much like a trampoline and will make you think you are faster than you are, especially when doing doubles and Moeller technique.

I second that. Even though my first kit was an acoustic one, I've dedicated most of my time behind a TD9kx. It's an awesome kit. I upgraded the sound library and it sounds amazing (for an e-kit). I especially love the recording feature....I've used it to record audio, midi.....the things you can do with it are limitless.

HOWEVER........

What Joseph say is true, the mesh heads feel like a trampoline. I thought that I had really improved my dynamics during the last few months and I just recently joined a band and sat back again behind a REAL kit and it felt like my first time behind a snare!!!!

I can't afford changing my kit right now so what I just recently began doing is putting a bunch of cloths on top of the snare to kill the bounce almost completely, warm up, do a couple of exercises like that and then remove them.
If anyone has been able to deal with this problem in an effective way please share!!

I find that the best quality options in the e-market are Roland and Yamaha so try them out and see what feels more realistic to you, I think that is even more important than sound and the rest of the features, otherwise you are gonna have a hard time going back to an acoustic kit.

Also, if you can find a used kit in a good condition, go for it!!! I'd never pay full price on an e-kit. I paid 1/3 of the retail price for mine at my local store and it was in great condition.

What Joseph say is true, the mesh heads feel like a trampoline. I thought that I had really improved my dynamics during the last few months and I just recently joined a band and sat back again behind a REAL kit and it felt like my first time behind a snare!!!!

Interesting. I don't really notice a big difference. Maybe I don't play with as much finesse as you guys?

I've been moving back and forth from E's to A's recently and my only real issues have been volume.

I own both an acoustic and a TD-20. If I go long stretches only playing the TD-20, the transition back to acoustic lakes longer...i.e., my movement around the kit is a little slower, sloppier. I have found that if I play at least a couple times a week on the acoustic, there is very little dropoff, but if I go for weeks without hitting the acoustic, my chops suffer.

Having said that, to me the greatest advantage with the e-kit is being able to play whenever I want. I usually use that time to work on independence exercises or to learn songs. Both of those things transfer nicely to the acoustic and allow me to progress each week.

Finally, when I know I can't get to the acoustic kit on a regular basis, I'll use a moongel practice pad for rudiments. That ensures very little drop off moving back to the a-kit. Highly recommend the moongel.....

Hello,

I have a set of roland TD-10's and have played them in live gigs for a Long time. The age old argument, "electronics will never play or feel like acoustic drums." While this is true, playing electronic drums is basically like learning a new instrument all together. They respond differently yes, but with enough time and practice you can perform all the licks and rolls just as well on an electronic kit as you can an acoustic kit. As for the way they sound, it could take up to 60 hours to tweek and tune your module to get it just right. You also need the power to push them. Without the right stage system and main system then they are not worth having. There are pros and cons to electronic drums, but if you spend the time to learn the internal aspects of how the v-drums work, and have the right sound system pushing them, then no they have the advantage over acoustic drum.

Dear All,

This is my first post on any forum but given my experience using my new and innovative TD4-KP it is necessary. I'm a pro drummer and I bought my TD4-KP for small gigs and practise due to its brilliant design allowing unheard of levels of portability. Alas my experience has been less than satisfactory and there are some design flaws that Roland are aware of but, in my experience have done very little about.

My credentials: I am 48 years old. I have 4 kits. 2x acoustic, a Yamaha e kit (now retired from gig duty) and the new Roland. I have been gigging for 15 years or so, presently in a successful minor band and since retiring from my career I now play music full time.

My problem Number 1: Cymbal Arms. The cymbals arms are not sufficiently "gripped" to stop them swinging when playing. This drives me nuts! Every song I have to adjust the cymbals to bring them back into a playing position as they creep round. I looked online to find this problem was well known and one drummer managed to get some new parts from Roland to sort it out. I bought mine from Anderton's and, following a phone call to the in-house Anderton's Roland rep, I took delivery of these "redesigned" parts this morning. They are the same parts and therefore do not work. The cymbals still creep when played.

My Problem Number 2: Customer Service. Anderton's have been great. The Anderton's rep acted quickly. The Roland customer service telephone team at Roland HQ were very poor. For those of you that need to speak to Roland HQ please use this number 01792 702701 - I could not see this on their website and had to use "contact". It won't help you however as - and I find this unacceptable - they will point blank refuse to let you speak to a Roland human being. Every issue must go through the online, automated, one-way Q&A process. I wanted a quick answer regarding my cymbals - I was gigging that night - and know one cared even when I said I may have to return their product for refund. All I wanted was a 2 minute conversation with a product expert. This is not allowed.

My Problem Number 3: The drum sounds do not sound convincing - they will "do" but they just don't sound real. The brain has great adjustability - much better than Yamaha say - but with my Yamaha you didn't need to do it as it sounds so natural (in comparison). This may not be a problem in the bedroom and the extra "electronic sparkle" the Roland gives may be your bag. I play my e-drums through a Yamaha DXR15. All 1250watts of it. In my band this is necessary for the bass reproduction to penetrate through the mix and keep up with the keys and guitar. When amplified the drum sounds very "electronic" (no matter how you muffle, tune, change sounds etc etc.) and not as good as say a cheap Yamaha DTXplorer brain can deliver.

In conclusion then this kit is NOT GIGWORTHY. It is not made well enough. It is a classic case of style over substance. If you are a beginner and play slow, light and deliberate without a crowd and adrenaline it is great (I can ensure new drummers you will not always like this!). Then of course you would not need this portable kit would you!? I bought my Roland and a PDX8 mesh snare head. That's about £630. I don't think I have got value for money. This drum kit does not deliver the great portable gigging machine the Roland marketing says it is. This kit is under developed, lacks quality and Roland know about it and have know for ages. Even their "solution" does not work. In fact the "redesigned" parts look and behave exactly the same as the "duff" parts this kit comes with. The latest advice? Use gaffer tape! Seriously!!! It's a week old!!

The solution for the cymbals is easy. The black coating of the cymbal arms could be coated twice to thicken them or they could use a matt paint to create more friction to stop the cymbals swinging in use. My solution will be to drill the cymbal arms and the rack upright in which they slide up and down and use a split pin or motorcycle "R" clip to prevent any movement. I have been told that both of these solutions will invalidate my warrantee. Gaffer tape is fine it seems.

Oh Roland, come on! I genuinely thought I was buying the best. I wanted an e-drum kit as we are a 5 piece band and some stages are small. I want less gear due to my aging back. I wanted e-drums because my lowly first e-drum purchase, my Yamaha DTXplorer, was so good. I read the Roland marketing and the TD4-KP seemed the perfect instrument for me. Alas, the marketing blurb does not accurately describe the TD4-KP. It is a beginners kit not a kit for gigging drummers. I will alter the kit to make it better because I still need the portability the design offers and if Roland want to see my solution to the cymbal issue I will gladly share but really....should that be my job? I'm just a single customer not a global musical instrument manufacturing company and boy doesn't it feel like it!!!!

This product was released far too early. Let drummers play your kit before you release it Roland!

Not saying that you cant use it for gigs.. but the TD-4kP does not look like a gigging kit.

My td20 was crazy solid. the rack was solid.. the pads triggered great.. sounded great... nothing but good things.

I've played a few of the lower models, and while they work. hitting a rubber pad feels weird, the sounds are not as good. and they felt "CHEAP"

If your looking at the best of the best get the td30.. but damn its expensive..

Rolands best kit at a reasonable price is a used Td20 right now

Once they upgrade the "tm2" to a tm-16 so I can have 16 trigger inputs and make a mesh kit for it i'll buy another roland

I am new to Roland drums and have a question for you pros. I jst bought a TD25KV kit and really love it. I play with my iPod and it sounds great. My question is how can I record video with my Samsung smart phone and also capture the iPod song with me playing over the track.

Thank you in advance

For the sounds they're great. For practicing it depends on your needs and situation.

I can make a bit of noise and the most important thing for me is how it feels for practicing, so as we speak I'm going the Super-Pad + L80 route. I've always had plenty of Roland e-kits around work and though they serve their purpose I'm personally not a fan as a kit replacement. If you want the sounds, sure, but there are also other ways to do that like a few pads a Handsonic and so on... I simply don't like playing on mesh heads.

Now if you like playing on them, they inspire you, they keep sounds levels down so you can practice whenever you want.... the sure go for it. Most pro drummers I know who live in city apartments have a top model in their living room. Especially if they're out too much to justify the price of renting a rehearsal studio,

I am no expert about drums. But I bought a used Roland td-11 kit from Guitar Center. I love it. Its not acoustic set but the headphone plug is a wife saver. I would love an acoustic set for the real-life response but I enjoy the Roland kit. I have fun playing with the different sound settings when I'm not practicing. But electronic sets aren't for everyone. I would recommend Roland. But I would also say start with what you can afford. You can slowly upgrade later.

I have owned a td-9 for several years - use it for practice and it does everything i need it to. Nothing has broken/stopped working/caused me any issues what so ever.
However - if i was buying a new one now i'd be looking at this:

http://www.atvcorporation.com/en/products/drums/adrums/

The included sounds are far superior to Roland (imo) and the build quality and feel on this thing is fantastic and better (again imo) than Rolands flagship which costs considerably more.

Back