Tungsten Rims

sticksnstonesrus

Silver Member
I have wedding ring made out of Tungsten. It's basically the strongest and most dense material that I can think of....could you imagine a batter and reso set of rims for your snare? I'm surprised nobody has tried to get some made (that I've heard of).

They'd be expensive though. Damn ring on my finger while cheaply priced ($99)...is completely unscathed through years of punishment. The whole reason I got a Tungsten ring was because of the reputation for not being able to be malformed or scratched or anything. And it's true....has no dents, scratches, nothing...I've tried to scratch this ring and I can't.

I just figured if you could afford to have them molded, you;d probably never break of warp them...and I could only imagine what kind of sound you could get out of them???

I wonder how much it would really cost...just for one pair?

Might as well mate them with polished tungsten shells and tungsten lugs.

Attachments

• Picture 1.png
    Picture 1.png
    149 KB · Views: 254
Somebody told me that if that ring somehow gets stuck on your finger, they'd have to cut off your finger to get it off since it's so strong, true? And I also heard that you can't wear it around open electronics because it conducts electricity very well?

As a rim, maybe a good idea. As a ring, if those things I heard are true, I'd be afraid to wear it.

Funny, I am an electrician and its generally recommended to remove any jewelry prior to working on anything energized. Tungsten, a good conductor? Probably. I heard the same thing about having the finger cut off...i figured if your hand was injured to the point where your ring needed manipulation to be removed, your hand was in trouble regardless of what kind of ring was around the fingers.

Les...shells, lug casings, lugs, throw off....would be the heaviest, by weight, drum ever!

Last edited:
Somebody told me that if that ring somehow gets stuck on your finger, they'd have to cut off your finger to get it off since it's so strong, true? And I also heard that you can't wear it around open electronics because it conducts electricity very well?

As a rim, maybe a good idea. As a ring, if those things I heard are true, I'd be afraid to wear it.

That's one of the dumbest urban myths I've ever heard. I have a titanium wedding band. If it ever became stuck, I could remove it with a Dremel (or the medical equivalent). You might get some cuts/abrasions in your finger in the process, but having to cut your whole finger off is a crazy idea.

Tungsten could make a great material for musical instruments. I wonder why no one has done it - is it so expensive?

That's one of the dumbest urban myths I've ever heard. I have a titanium wedding band. If it ever became stuck, I could remove it with a Dremel (or the medical equivalent). You might get some cuts/abrasions in your finger in the process, but having to cut your whole finger off is a crazy idea.

I'd be more concerned about heat than abrasions. They can nip off rings made of the usual suspect jewelry material.

Tungsten could make a great material for musical instruments. I wonder why no one has done it - is it so expensive?

Expensive, difficult to work with, overkill, Bonham didn't use it. Usual reasons.

Originally Posted by Deathmetalconga

Expensive, difficult to work with, overkill, Bonham didn't use it. Usual reasons.

Tungsten is only 5 times harder than tool steel, someone has to see it as a challenge. A big plus is you wouldn't need cases for them.

If you build it, they will buy, and come too.

The amount I have on my finger cost 100...i figured you'd probably need at least 15 to 16 times that much to form a hoop. Don't know if there is some kind of discount for the amount you use per form...but I'd bet that a top and bottom set of hoops would be rediculous....both in cost and just sheer durability.

I'm telling you guys, this ring....i have hit it with a chisel, file, skid it against metal rails, drum hoops....i can't put a scratch in it. Tungsten isn't weak by any stretch. I'm sure though that something can cut it in case of some emergency.

So who is gonna be the first?

cutting the finger off i doubt, a diamond cutting disk would cut it off, but even if a doctor could cut the skin long ways and remove enough presure to slide it off and then stitch you back up but even thats extreme

The amount I have on my finger cost 100

That's overinflated jewelry pricing.

I want 1mm tungsten shells, polished.

I did some searching a while back and did find a couple metal fab shops that work with tungsten. I haven't followed up, but now I peaked my own interest in it again.

Back