what do your band mates do as a job.

Two Pizza delivery guys and me, a Parts guy at a Subaru dealer.

singer-oil rig mechanic
guitarist-grounds keeper
bassist-highschool english teacher/telemarketing survey dude
me-window tinter/graphic designer

We all have put ourselves in position with our jobs that if we were to start making steady enough money to play music for our living that's what we plan to do. I play a lot of other types of gigs like I play for a church, play pit in musicals, and symphony stuff that also pay ok. It's just hard to keep a steady schedule of paying gigs all year long around here.

only one of our band members works and he (lead guitarist) works at Chick-Fil-a.

I never understood why your generators spin at 3000 RPMs (50 hz) and US generators spin at 3600 RPM's (60 hz). Why don't they standardize it? Maybe meet in the middle, 55hz?
I think the idea was that 50 Hz was as low as you could go and not notice the lights blinking (and still keep it a nice round number). I'm not sure how 60 Hz was decided on, other than it fits well with the whole 360 degrees in a circle thing that all rotational devices do (motors/generators).

Post-war Japan was rebuilt by a combined effort by Europeans and Americans, so guess what? Northeastern Japan runs a 50 Hz and the southwest runs at 60 Hz. That's gotta make you go crazy if you travel, but I'm sure they've got that all figured out by now.

I'm in between bands at the moment, but am auditioning tonight with a prog-ish type band where the guitar player teaches guitar all day. The bass player is also a badass drummer who recorded (played) all the drum parts on the demo I just learned with all its freakishly weird time signature changes. I don't know what he or the singer do for income yet - and may never find out if I don't get the gig!

I got a Fireman, a Steelworker & a postman in one band, and another Fireman, and a schoolteacher in another....
Go figure :)

I play a lot of other types of gigs like I play for a church, play pit in musicals, and symphony stuff that also pay ok. It's just hard to keep a steady schedule of paying gigs all year long around here.

What musicals have you done and what orchestra do you play with? I, too, do pit work and orchestra work, but I don't get paid for the orchestra work.

WOW! My Bass Player is a Juris Doctor, My Sax Player is a DPM and a Science Teacher, my Key Player is a......a.......a........Rock and Roll Singer (haha),................and my Guitar Player is a GUITAR PLAYER............and I am a businessman (tha drummah). Nuff z'nuff.

engineer, botanist (i think, he's a plant scientist) electrician and a drunken jobless waste of flesh....

guess which one i am.....

Singer - I'm not sure, something to do with punching holes...he keeps going on about punching holes
Lead Guitar - he does something at Heathrow aiport, maybe to do with planes..?
Keys Player - Works in the hotel industry
Bass Player - Chartered Surveyor
Me - Cisco network engineer.

Ha great topic!
I've always sorta felt like the dumb ass of the trio. The the other 2 guys are Phd's in electrical/computer engineering (and they have jobs) I draw houses for people w/ more money then taste.

Ha great topic!
I draw houses for people w/ more money then taste.

like this?: http://unhappyhipsters.com/

My band is all college students
Guitar/Vox: Social services major
Guitar/Key: Psych Major (parents are both MDs, they don't approve, haha)
Bass: Double Major History/Music
Me (Drums, who knew!?): Undecided, but will no doubt be some form of performing art.

Preppienerd, as boring as it might look it, that stuff is actually fun to draw because it takes a lot of detailed drawing to make the modern stuff work.
I'm talking about the WTB french colonial McMansions.

The 50 hz / 60 hz becomes annoying in my field, post-production for film/television. Where N. American audiences watch standard def. TV at 30 frames / second and folks on the other side of the pond watch at 25 fps. If it's filmed on actual film, it's captured at 23.98 frames a second... convert that all into something that can be seen on both sides of the ocean and your head starts to spin. More so when the show needs to be an exact duration...

Bass player - Graphic Design
Guitar - Film Colourist
Vox/Guitar - Audio Engineer / mixer for film and TV

Back