Travis Barker

I think he's one of the better dummers out there, probably not the best, but still very good. His playing style fits his music, and some of his beats are really cool. I like his work with the Aquabtas and Boxcar Racer the most.

Hey everyone i read every post on this topic so far and all i really have to say is: respect.
im only 17 years of age and i've only been drumming for 5 years but as a musician i respect all types of music and all other musician goals and acheivments and i respect travis barker for his acheivments, sure he may not be THE BEST drummer but clearly he's not the worst or he would not be where he is today. as i said before im only 17 years of age and the rest of you may not care about what i have to say but i think as musicians we have an obligation to encourage and support all others in there musical goals. I myself am into more hardcore metal or some of you may know it as screamo, but just because im not so much into travis' genra of music i do respect him for what he can do. I'm still learning and trying to expand my skill and i may want to take my drumming somewhere some day but i have to say after reading some of the posts on this forum im somewhat discouraged. So if you'll take anything from what i've said take respect because its the laest you can give to support someone.

Well i have been playing drums for quite some time (years) and maybe it is because i am 16 or what, but i find travis very talented, he is my favourite drummer and will always be..

i know he sometimes gets boring because in his solos he usually does the same thing but i like it, he doesn´t have a great set and with what he has, he does lots of cool things!

maybe my opinion is not so valid as some of you here, obviously lots of you know more than me about drums, techniques and stuff and from your point of view travis is really bad but just respect people who think he is the best or simply like it a lot(like me).

Besides Travis being my favourite drummer, i know he is not the best.. that's known by everybody, there is LOTS and LOTS of drummers out there more talented than him, we all know it.

I used to be an avid rock fan, but now find myself more interested in technical death metal and some jazz (I prefer drums that take thinking if you know what I mean). I also believe Travis is overrated. I have some friends who say that "Oh my god Travis is so good". But looking at his solos, all I see is some crazy ape bashing his drums as hard as he can. Of course, he's playing rock, but he has no class at all. He just thinks fast chops and loudness can substitute feel. Travis Barker seems like one of those drummers who can only play loud music, when in reality the best musicians can play absolutely anything thrown at them. This is just my opinion, and I respect anybody else's thoughts about Barker. I just think he's a terrible example of overrating.

I used to listen to blink all the time, and mainly listened to the same song over and over again because of travis' drumming. He really adds a lot to blinks music. To me, its just basically a drum song with some appealing power chords and bass and voice(I don't find tom's voice annoying, although i do like marks singing even more). But I thought he was "supergood" before I had even really heard of bonham, peart, or portnoy. But his style is hard to imitate(for me anyways).

even though this thread is about just travis barker, doesn't anyone think blink could have been "more punk"/better if they had stuck with Scott Raynor? I really liked his style, playing d-beats and have having really simple, but smooth fills. They way blink played songs with him were better imo. Not so much pop punk. I think they way he played(please correct me if I'm wrong) is called crustpunk. Simple, but appealing to me.

i was really surprised to see that there are/were 27 pages on this. he's a talented drummer no doubt, but it seems a lot of the people that say "he's the best drummer ever" are people that have never even picked up a pair of sticks or haven't been playing long enough to know other drummers [of the past or present] to compare him to. that aside, he's good but it's mostly just hype, recently he's seemed to have done drum remixes for hip-hop songs (i.e. soulja boy, pharrell williams) and it's very apparent that mostly all of the rap/hip-hop community (with the exception of ?uestlove) does not drum, (i don't know anyone who considers loops or drum machines drumming) though i'm not saying that may or may not be changing.

bottom line, it's all hype from people that don't know anything about drumming. is he talented? yes. is he the best? probably not. is he the fastest? no (look up gabe serbian - though he's probably not the fastest either). it's all just b/s imo, and i'm tired of hearing about the guy.

i was really surprised to see that there are/were 27 pages on this. he's a talented drummer no doubt, but it seems a lot of the people that say "he's the best drummer ever" are people that have never even picked up a pair of sticks or haven't been playing long enough to know other drummers [of the past or present] to compare him to. that aside, he's good but it's mostly just hype, recently he's seemed to have done drum remixes for hip-hop songs (i.e. soulja boy, pharrell williams) and it's very apparent that mostly all of the rap/hip-hop community (with the exception of ?uestlove) does not drum, (i don't know anyone who considers loops or drum machines drumming) though i'm not saying that may or may not be changing.

bottom line, it's all hype from people that don't know anything about drumming. is he talented? yes. is he the best? probably not. is he the fastest? no (look up gabe serbian - though he's probably not the fastest either). it's all just b/s imo, and i'm tired of hearing about the guy.

Why are you surprised there are so many comments? He's the drummer in one of the biggest bands in the world nad he has a brash, instantly gratifying style of playing. Nothing more, nothing less. Barker and what he does has nothing to do with the hype he attracts.

to all you morons talking down about travis or saying he's a mediocre and overated drummer, you clearly don't know much.
travis is easily one of the best drummers of the last decade if not thee best.
i'd like to see half you drummers do what he can do.
have any of you people seen travis actually play without music just some of his freestyle's?
he's basically capable of doing anything on the drums.
and he's proved it if any of you people are educated about him.
you guys are complete idiots trying to say he's just ok.

i was really surprised to see that there are/were 27 pages on this. he's a talented drummer no doubt, but it seems a lot of the people that say "he's the best drummer ever" are people that have never even picked up a pair of sticks or haven't been playing long enough to know other drummers [of the past or present] to compare him to.

You've hit the nail on the head.
I 100% agree with you, it's like you see drumming videos to famous songs on youtube, and the people are doing amateur mistakes such as not playing semi quaver bass drum notes properly, and it's basically a technical sham, but people who don't play the drums still go "Wow, nice stuff" or "YOU'RE AS GOOD AS JOEY JORDINSON" (When it's a jazz video)

Hey everyone i read every post on this topic so far and all i really have to say is: respect.
im only 17 years of age and i've only been drumming for 5 years but as a musician i respect all types of music and all other musician goals and acheivments and i respect travis barker for his acheivments, sure he may not be THE BEST drummer but clearly he's not the worst or he would not be where he is today. as i said before im only 17 years of age and the rest of you may not care about what i have to say but i think as musicians we have an obligation to encourage and support all others in there musical goals. I myself am into more hardcore metal or some of you may know it as screamo, but just because im not so much into travis' genra of music i do respect him for what he can do. I'm still learning and trying to expand my skill and i may want to take my drumming somewhere some day but i have to say after reading some of the posts on this forum im somewhat discouraged. So if you'll take anything from what i've said take respect because its the laest you can give to support someone.

thanks, matty_boy.

luigic, I've never seen Barker play his freestyles, whatever that is. (I am very new to drumming, I only started last year, so any enlightenment will be accepted w/thanks)
What i've seen, though, he is superfast, so he picks up lots of non-drumming fans (incl. me) ,and he has power, he just uses it for fast licks hither an' yon. While this doesnt take away from the music, it's not really talent/creativity. I like Blink 182, but frankly, he hasn't come up w/ too many really good beats.

if you want to hear fast AND complex. Peter Wildoer of Darkane and Brann Dailor of Mastodon. I don't think about Travis Barker's playing. I think more about how Travis Barker is decidely NOT punk in any way shape or form. Thinking about his drumming right now after reading some of the posts here: I agree. The guy's all speed and no substance. It's the same old boring idea that fast equals good. Speed Ringo Starr up to 160 bpm or something and even he'll sound as sick as Travis Barker. (note: I like Ringo Starr).

Last edited:
to all you morons talking down about travis or saying he's a mediocre and overated drummer,

you guys are complete idiots trying to say he's just ok.

Well done, how very mature of you, calling people idiotic and moronic because they don't agree with you.
Great.

lol.
to be honest i dont even think hes that fast
and hes not complex..

For some reason i'm compelled to look in on this thread. His speed is undeniable, and i say that as someone who can't stand the music he makes or the sound of his playing. Having briefly studied his style of playing, I can safely say he's done a lot of practice to be able to do what he does.

Even if you dislike what he does I recommend trying to transcribe and break down some of his parts and try to play them. 9 out of 10 amateurs will struggle to get a lot his parts up to speed, but is worthwhile to get an idea of where your chops are at, whatever style you play.

Hey guys!!
you must forgive me when i write something wrong in english....I'm fourteen and from austria ;)

Travis barker is my favourite drummer!!!But I never would think that he is the best one^^ :)
I think the best one is Thomas Lang [Austrians are fine ;)]....
You can't compare two drummers like them......they have completely different styles....
I like what Travis is playing...it just sounds very good...one reason for this is that it's so fast....

But other drummers play with 10 pedals and 15 cymbals....of course they have more coordination and must think a lot more.....

but for what travis is playing.....he is the best one !!!

So i've read some of your posts saying things like you don't think that Travis isthe best drummer because he's only got a FEW of the attributes that "the best" drummers should have....well.....then what are they? travis has speed, creativity, he catches on real quick, and he's good in many types of music....what other things does it take?.... i'm just asking so then i can know what kind of things i need to work on

Back