Remo user trying Evans for the first time... Thoughts...

I just found a video that more or less shows the tone I'm after... Listen to the "ring" in this snare in this video and you'll get a great idea of what I want.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b3UwtIHrAZY

Chris

I like that sound ALOT, very similar to what I am after and usually get on my snares. I like a wide open sounding snare and kit as well. I don't use any muffling on anything except the kick. I know that with the drum center videos that Shane does, he usually uses a coated ambassador or the Ludwig stock head that comes with it on Ludwig drums. Those Ludwig stock heads sound great on their drums. They are a coated medium weight single ply head, much like an ambassador. They just have a touch more mids than an ambassador in my opinion, but very subtle...almost identical sound. I'll bet you'd like the Evans PC reverse dot head, it looks like a G1, can't see the dot and it sounds alot like what you are after. Judging from the sound you like, I'd say the G1, ambassador or PC reverse dot would be your options. I'm not sure what Aquarian offers, never tried them. For me, the durability issue is there, that's why I go with a G2/emperor or possibly this G14 if it works out. I'm gonna do a review on it after I play it out.

The Acro's I have sounds like that. Yep, it comes with a Medium coated.

This type of tone/ring is the plain Aluminum shell (no chrome plating).

It's a different sound than the 402's I've owned, and I like it more than the 402.

Medium loose tension on batter, slightly more than medium on the snare side head is how the LTD came out of the box.
The first part of the video is probably just a little tweaked from "out of the box".
Snares side head has no collar and crimped film. Remo offers the no collar SS too (I think you know this).

Notice the snare CORD for the wires. It makes a difference.

The Ludwig coated Medium is a Diplomat weight 7.5, but the coating they use is kinda heavy, so it seems like an Ambassador.

If you want THIS sound, the 6.5 Acro is what you want. Fortunately, they aren't a ton of money.

My snares all have pretty much this type of character, but the Acro has the sound from the video.
I use a top dot head, with a very tight Remo no collar bottom, and 20 strand wires with Ludwig's snare cord holding them on (Puresound Black cord is nice too).

The top dot gets a more lively off the dot sound, and a solid center sound. A bottom dot head gets a flatter overall sound for me. I would still get the ringy tone off the dot area (on a bottom dot head), but not as much. The top dot is also smaller on a remo, but Evans might use the same size on both models. I like the top dot version of Evans PC head.

Good luck!

Thanks everyone! It's funny you mention the snare CORD. On the Ludwig, I went from a cheapo Gibralter snare cord to the grossgrain ribbon (however it's spelled.) The difference was very noticeable and the grossgrain ribbon tamed some rattles.

However, maybe now it's time to go back to the cord? Maybe the combination of the cord being more "open" sounding and the G1 being not as "open" sounding as the Remos is the answer?

That's interesting and I'll absolutely give that a shot in the next day or two. We may be onto something!

I've tried Evans a few times and always go right back to Remo heads. To me they all sound muffled and lifeless, in comparison...especially the coated heads. I haven't found an Evans kick drum head that I like the sound of, at all. Some say they can't hear much of a difference...and maybe that's true from a distance...but it's night-and-day from behind the drums, IMO.

To be fair, the coating seems to wear off very fast for me on Remo heads, also. I just put up with it and replace them when the heads don't tune up anymore.

I've tried Evans a few times and always go right back to Remo heads. To me they all sound muffled and lifeless, in comparison...especially the coated heads. I haven't found an Evans kick drum head that I like the sound of, at all. Some say they can't hear much of a difference...and maybe that's true from a distance...but it's night-and-day from behind the drums, IMO.

To be fair, the coating seems to wear off very fast for me on Remo heads, also. I just put up with it and replace them when the heads don't tune up anymore.

Honestly? I think it's going to come down to that for me too. Either go for the tone that I want with the Remos and get pissed every time the coating wears off in 15 minutes or go with what seems like a million times better durability, but sacrifice that for the exact tone.

The Evans are definitely growing on me, so you never know what I'll end up doing. LOL

Karl mentioned the snare cord and yes, it does make a difference. I started a whole thread on this subject with explaination and experiments about it. It definitely opens up the sound. You can read the post if you're interested:

http://drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=81701&highlight=snare+cord

It sounds like you're just about there and armed with the info you need, combined with your ears, to make a choice. The Evans heads grew on me too and I have used different models in different applications...just another tool in the drummer toolbox. Good luck bro, and have fun blasting that snare drum!

The top dot gets a more lively off the dot sound, and a solid center sound. A bottom dot head gets a flatter overall sound for me. I would still get the ringy tone off the dot area (on a bottom dot head), but not as much. The top dot is also smaller on a remo, but Evans might use the same size on both models. I like the top dot version of Evans PC head.

Good luck!

That's interesting. I never used a top dot head, always the reverse dot thinking that the top dot would somehow muffle the drum more and affect the playing surface. I'm assuming the top dot head is coated? If so, how has the coating worn? I had an issue with the coating on Remo heads, as you know from the threads about it, and the Remo rep Brian Levan has been nothing short of awesome in customer service. He has sent me several heads to try to give him feedback on the coating. I have to test a coated emp he sent here soon, hoping the coating lasts longer than a few minutes.

The heads I have on the main gigging BB's have been on well over a year.

Coated Emperor with top dot. I THINK the model number is BE-0014-22. I'd have to check.
No flaking, scrapes or anything.
The dot is smaller than the one used on the usual Coated underside Black Dot head all stores stock.
It's a clear Emp head, with a clear dot, and it's all coated.

There is an Ambassador version of this head as well. I used that one at first, but I liked the sound I got with the Emp w/dot better.

I use double butt end sticks, and have no problems with Remo's coating on any of my drums.

The heads I have on the main gigging BB's have been on well over a year.

Coated Emperor with top dot. I THINK the model number is BE-0014-22. I'd have to check.
No flaking, scrapes or anything.
The dot is smaller than the one used on the usual Coated underside Black Dot head all stores stock.
It's a clear Emp head, with a clear dot, and it's all coated.

There is an Ambassador version of this head as well. I used that one at first, but I liked the sound I got with the Emp w/dot better.

I use double butt end sticks, and have no problems with Remo's coating on any of my drums.

Cool, thanks for the info. I didn't realize remo made an emperor with a clear dot and coated. I know of the emperor X which seems to be a popular head, but not the clear dot.

I searched the remo site and googled the number and description you gave me about the coated emperor with a clear dot and came up with nothing??? It obviously exists, wonder why I can't find it?

You'll probably have to order it at a shop.
That's what I do. I tried to look it up as well.

It's a real part number, it's probably just in the main book.
I had the number wrong in the other post. Sorry.

THIS is the real model number: BE-0114-22.

The "22" is for the dot. A normal Coated Emp. is a BE-0114-00

This head is nothing like an Emperor X, it's much nicer.

You'll probably have to order it at a shop.
That's what I do. I tried to look it up as well.

It's a real part number, it's probably just in the main book.
I had the number wrong in the other post. Sorry.

THIS is the real model number: BE-0114-22.

The "22" is for the dot. A normal Coated Emp. is a BE-0114-00

This head is nothing like an Emperor X, it's much nicer.

Cool, I found it. It's referred to as a controlled sound emperor. I really like coated regular emps on my snares, so in your opinion, what is the difference in sound and feel with this head? I'm assuming it has a more focused sound in the dot area, but does it inhibit the resonance much or sound "hard" compared to a regular emp?

I'd say the main difference between the two (for me) is, with an Emp, the sound is pretty "even" with body/ring, and I'll get even more ring closer to the edge.

Rimshots have the usual "crack", and the whole drum rings, but, sometimes it can be too much (mainly when a mic is on it).

With the dot, it's a more solid overall sound, the "ring" happens more off the dot, giving different character depending on where, and how hard I hit between the dot and edge.

The rimshot sound has the crack, but on the dot it's more solid to my ear. Rimshots off the dot can get a variety of sounds.

Playing on the dot, with no rimshot, it's solid and not as ringy as a plain Emp.

I like an open snare, but I like to control when it sounds real solid, or like Alex Van Halen.
I like this drumhead because it gives me that.

I'd say the main difference between the two (for me) is, with an Emp, the sound is pretty "even" with body/ring, and I'll get even more ring closer to the edge.

Rimshots have the usual "crack", and the whole drum rings, but, sometimes it can be too much (mainly when a mic is on it).

With the dot, it's a more solid overall sound, the "ring" happens more off the dot, giving different character depending on where, and how hard I hit between the dot and edge.

The rimshot sound has the crack, but on the dot it's more solid to my ear. Rimshots off the dot can get a variety of sounds.

Playing on the dot, with no rimshot, it's solid and not as ringy as a plain Emp.

I like an open snare, but I like to control when it sounds real solid, or like Alex Van Halen.
I like this drumhead because it gives me that.

Gotcha, I like the same type of sound and I refuse to use moongel or anything (just takes out too much of what I like about a snare) even a small piece. Controlling an open snare can be tough when mic'ed. Sometimes a touch of verb and EQ does the trick and the ring becomes masked and blends in with the sound. Other times, the sound guy is a purest and that's when it's tough. I'll have to check those heads out. Thanks man!

Update...

I have been very aggravated this past week trying to get my Ludwigs to sound the way I want with the Evans G1 on the toms and either a G1 or G2 on the snare. I've tuned the set numerous times and I'm just not happy.

The G1's on the toms sounded great at first, but the deep "boom" they have caused the 16" floor tom to resonante too much and it ended up out of control. The 18" tom sounded horrible no matter what I did.

I just put a fresh set of Remo coated Emperors on the toms and the snare and spent a good while this past weekend tuning everything up. Now I'm back to having the tones I love and I'm no longer aggravated.

In a nutshell, I think it's fair to say that I'm not an Evans guy. I absolutely love how the coated heads still look new after many hours of playing, but the tone just wasn't there for me.

The coating on the Emperors I just put on is already coming off where I hit them, but whatever. LOL

That's cool that you experimented with the Evans heads. I was going to suggest using coated G2's on the toms with clear G1's on the bottom, but it sounds like the Emperors are working for you. Also, if you give it another go, the Evans PC Reverse dot is great on snares!

That's cool that you experimented with the Evans heads. I was going to suggest using coated G2's on the toms with clear G1's on the bottom, but it sounds like the Emperors are working for you. Also, if you give it another go, the Evans PC Reverse dot is great on snares!

Thanks again for your help (and everyone else too!)

Just coming off? WTFFF????
I put on some Ambassadors and no problems, as usual. All the heads are just fine.
WTF is the deal with this stuff just flaking off?!?
That's just super crazy.

Glad you got the sound you want again though.

Just coming off? WTFFF????
I put on some Ambassadors and no problems, as usual. All the heads are just fine.
WTF is the deal with this stuff just flaking off?!?
That's just super crazy.

Glad you got the sound you want again though.

It's hit and miss. I recently outfitted my "go to" kit with Vintage Emps, and my BB with an X14. I've been whacking the crap out of those heads for over a week, not a single problem with the coating.

Around the same time I put coated emps on my Gretsch drums, which now have about 4-5 hours of playing time on them. The coating on both of those tom heads started wearing off immediately.

I wonder if it isn't due to the clear film on some heads, and the smooth white on others (i.e. Vintage Emps)?

Most Remo heads I buy start flaking off after a few hours of punishment. I don't think it's my hand technique or anything mysterious like that - I've had to become very careful about hitting as hard as I can without playing into the heads, since I went through a nasty 2 yr. bout with tendonitis.

I don't get it either. I know some folks don't have issues with the coating on Remos, but I've never had one that didn't wear quickly.

The Emperor on my Supra that I just put on last Friday (today is Monday) has the coating worn bigtime! The toms not as much, but still worn a lot.

I may take a pic.

Back