Has anyone regretted going from a single pedal to a double pedal?

I've got an Elimimnator set, and I frequently go between double and single pedal setups. (Like TheIronCobr4, I also change setups to improve creativity - played a 3 piece for band practice on Saturday, it was great!)

The great thing is that you don't *always* have to use a double. I waited till I was proficient with a single before putting down the cash for the elims, so I am comfortable with both. There ARE technical advantages to using doubles- flams, more 'even' power with double hits, but I think of it in terms of what's the worst that could happen? The link, slave pedal and beater sit unused in the case? Heck, if you REALLY find you don't want it and go back to singles, find another aspiring metal drummer to relieve them from you! :p

In my opinion there's really nothing to regret. Adding a double pedal opens up a new world of using your left foot for something it didn't do before. As such it's a new challenge and can open up your playing.

After a little practice you'll be able to play those quads (so that's what they're called!) pretty smoothly, and you'll probably find that the double pedal phrases find their way into your general playing in a natural way.

Now I'm not a big speed merchant, and I mostly use the double pedal for accents, not all the time; but having the double pedal does allow me to play stuff I couldn't before, and I have a wider vocabulary of phrases than before, so for me it's a good thing. I don't take it to every gig, and I don't need to; but it sure is fun.

I've got an Elimimnator set, and I frequently go between double and single pedal setups. (Like TheIronCobr4, I also change setups to improve creativity - played a 3 piece for band practice on Saturday, it was great!)

The great thing is that you don't *always* have to use a double. I waited till I was proficient with a single before putting down the cash for the elims, so I am comfortable with both. There ARE technical advantages to using doubles- flams, more 'even' power with double hits, but I think of it in terms of what's the worst that could happen? The link, slave pedal and beater sit unused in the case? Heck, if you REALLY find you don't want it and go back to singles, find another aspiring metal drummer to relieve them from you! :p

Makes sense. I do like the technical advantages they provide. Have always loved options and variety!

In my opinion there's really nothing to regret. Adding a double pedal opens up a new world of using your left foot for something it didn't do before. As such it's a new challenge and can open up your playing.

After a little practice you'll be able to play those quads (so that's what they're called!) pretty smoothly, and you'll probably find that the double pedal phrases find their way into your general playing in a natural way.

Now I'm not a big speed merchant, and I mostly use the double pedal for accents, not all the time; but having the double pedal does allow me to play stuff I couldn't before, and I have a wider vocabulary of phrases than before, so for me it's a good thing. I don't take it to every gig, and I don't need to; but it sure is fun.

Yeah, I can see just how it could add more flavor to licks, rolls, quads, accents. I mean - we use 2 hands/sticks on the toms and snare. Why not do the same on the bass drum?

No regrets here ... I grew up in the dark ages ... before the double pedal ... and we simple had to carry around two kick drums ....​

Back