Outrages prices for used gear that you want.

Traditional Grip

Does anyone here have experience on how to talk someone down who has an outrageous idea of what their used gear is worth?
I hate to break it to them, but used cymbals just aren't going for much nowadays and just because something isn't made anyone does make it worth a ton of money.

I don't want to link a direct posting, but I saw a 17" Zildjian Remix Ride listed for $190! One sold on ebay 1 year ago for $90. I tried to present that to the seller and he or she said that "The item was priced fairly".....well...good luck with that one!

It's frustrating when gear you want is no longer made and people think it's practically worth its weight in gold. Most drum items were discontinued because there was no demand for them. And there still isn't much of one just a few years later.

Anyone here experienced this frustration and found a resolution, other than wait months for the seller to lower the price?

Thanks!

Anyone here experienced this frustration and found a resolution, other than wait months for the seller to lower the price?
The other alternative is find/wait for a similar item to pop up for sale by a different seller, possibly on a marketplace.​
Personally, I don't haggle sellers over their price (unless it's a "best offer/make offer" situation).​

I think a lot of people selling at unreasonable prices are hoping they catch an impulse buyer or someone in panic mode. I know when I first started buying vintage gear I bought a Speed King for more than it was worth simply because I didn't know when I'd find another one. It turned out I'd find another one at least once a week... every week.

I'm lucky that I have so little money to spend on drums right now that every price is too high.

The market sets the price. If you really want it, you'll pay more than you want to. Also, if the seller thinks the price is fair, they really don't care what you think they should sell it for and aren't likely to adjust the price. Another consideration is that some people don't NEED to sell things right away and are willing to wait for someone to arrive at their price.

You're in kind of a weak position when you ask somebody to lower their price on this thing you really want, on the basis that nobody wants it. My reaction would be something like: Huh? You want it.

Probably what I would do is show them some links/screenshots of other completed auctions with that model of cymbal selling at a lower price, then make them an offer slightly higher than average. Since there's is the only one up for sale right now, and you really want it, you can't really expect them to sell it to you for the lowest price from a year ago.

If what you think it's worth is less than the seller's reserve, then you'll have to wait until they re-list it with a lower reserve.

I don't think there's any appropriate way to talk someone down when they've already put thought into what they want to get for it.

Thanks to eBay, this isn't anything new sadly.

Finding a bargain is tough these days. I agree people see something online going for top dollar and they follow suit. If people are silly enough to pay it then it will keep happening.

Plus you have cretins with bidding apps so if you see something you want you bid higher in hope you beat these cretins at the last second. I got done by one of these on a 1967 Super Classic. I nearly cried.

The 2nd hand market used to be amazing. Before internet shopping came along you could actually walk into an independent drum shop where the owners were drummers. The shop I used to go into had some cracking 2nd hand gear and they didn't want the earth for it.

Most of the smaller shops are long gone and internet shopping isn't any cheaper thanks to postage

I have to wonder if everyone having Google at their fingertips makes its easier for people to price used items higher (either misguided, or fairly). I can't help but think the first thing anyone does before they throw it up for sale is Google it to ensure it isn't something that may have a "vintage" or "rarity" value. Gone are the days of of finding hidden gems at garage sales and thrift stores...at least I've never come across one. Particularly I find anything old gets a "Vintage" moniker, and suddenly its gold. Reality is, sometimes old is just that...out-dated and in need of service, not exactly worth paying a premium for.
The only way I've haggled on used items has been a polite message asking if they would consider X amount. If it's fair, usually we can agree. If the price is firm and way out of line, let them have it sit in their space as a constant reminder of their overvaluation.

Does anyone here have experience on how to talk someone down who has an outrageous idea of what their used gear is worth?
I hate to break it to them, but used cymbals just aren't going for much nowadays and just because something isn't made anyone does make it worth a ton of money.

I don't want to link a direct posting, but I saw a 17" Zildjian Remix Ride listed for $190! One sold on ebay 1 year ago for $90. I tried to present that to the seller and he or she said that "The item was priced fairly".....well...good luck with that one!

It's frustrating when gear you want is no longer made and people think it's practically worth its weight in gold. Most drum items were discontinued because there was no demand for them. And there still isn't much of one just a few years later.

Thanks!

The breakbeat ride isn't a very good cymbal, have you ever played / heard one. I would move on.

I use vintage (ie 80's in this instance) Sonor gear and have a decent collection of the Link era snare drums and a beautiful Phonic Plus kit. I have noticed that some of the prices being asked for gear are getting a bit ridiculous. There's a late 80s HiLite (good but not the most desirable Sonors in the world) advertised in the US, bass drum and 4 toms for £2700 GBP, or $3300 roughly and that's after the price has been reduced by 25% or so.

In the UK an identical kit has sat unsold on Ebay for £900 for months now. The market does need to settle a bit and for people to be slightly more realistic about what they ask for things.

Some sellers don't get it.

In December - I may have mentioned this - I bought a Mapex Saturn V kit.

While I was looking around, I found seller of a Saturn IV kit on Ebay. The IV's had one more rack tom than the V's that I was looking at. But the (used) IV's were on Ebay with a BIN/make an offer. I offered 2/3 of the asking, linked to NEW kits at similar to the asking on Ebay and retail sites, so I wasn't just coming up with a random low number: I figured 2/3 of new was a fair price.

The seller wasn't interested...and the kit is still for sale, and still at the same price.

Numpty!

I see it on Craigslist daily. I look at drum related items and tools. Some people bend, most have no clue. I've given up haggling. If the seller wants to sell he will catch on.

Guy buys new kit. Wife requires him to put the old one up for sale. Guy does what he is told. :)

This kit was posted on the Houston Craigslist a couple months ago. The seller wanted $2,000.

attachment.php

I usually steer clear of any ad that says something like: "Over 2500.00 invested.." That means the seller thinks it's worth whaterver price. Like the classic 1200.00 Exports with ZBT's.

I get it. We spend a lot on gear brand new, but just like cars. Once you buy it new it loses a lot of value in most cases.

Its the owners perogative to ask what they want for it, perhaps they are not desperate to sell. They have it, and if you want it badly enough you pay. Or not. Simple.

Back