John Bonham

The Beatles were great, blah blah blah. The fact remains, the Beatles did not influence Led Zeppelin musically. Thier first two albums should prove that. Blues, anyone? I'd list thier infuences, but it would take a while, and it doesn't include John, Paul, George, or Ringo.

But then everyone's gonna say, but without Ringo!......................but nothing, Bonzo was not influenced by Ringo. And the same goes for every member of Led Zeppelin.

Its not that each member was influenced by the beatles directly, they were indirectly. Yes Bonham might not list Ringo as one of his influences, but he would list Keith Moon as a huge influence, and one of Moons big influences was Ringo. The beatles paved the way for every other english band in America. Led Zeppelin made there name in America, thats where they were most popular. Without The Beatles, America might have rejected all the English bands that came in. Thats why there the most influencial band of all time. You need to open your mind up a little bit and see the bigger picture.

Re: Favorite Bonzo Track EVER?

The Rain song, although simple, he just read that song so well. It also shows how versitile he was, yea he could lay down a phat blues groove, but he could also lay down a delicate beat that compliments the song so well.

Bonham to the moon said:
Its not that each member was influenced by the beatles directly, they were indirectly. Yes Bonham might not list Ringo as one of his influences, but he would list Keith Moon as a huge influence, and one of Moons big influences was Ringo. The beatles paved the way for every other english band in America. Led Zeppelin made there name in America, thats where they were most popular. Without The Beatles, America might have rejected all the English bands that came in. Thats why there the most influencial band of all time. You need to open your mind up a little bit and see the bigger picture.

Nicely put.

The more you know

'Cause knowledge is power!

Bonham to the moon said:
Yes Bonham might not list Ringo as one of his influences, but he would list Keith Moon as a huge influence, and one of Moons big influences was Ringo.

does anybody know whats ironic about moon being an influence to bonham?

Bonham to the moon said:
i havent seen anyone come close to bonhams right foot, except maybe jo jo mayer, but even then, there not as powerful as bonhams.

You really should check out Zach Hill, especially live. I will go ahead and go out on a limb and say his kick work is in league with Bonham, especially in the sense of innovation, not to mention speed, power, and importantly,creativity and energy. I have had the pleasure of sitting no more than three feet away from him many times at his shows, and I am constantly blown away with all the aspects I mentioned above with which he plays.
Tama really needs to have him help design some hardware and especially modifications to the Iron Cobra, as he has destroyed many of the metal parts of his equipment just with his playing. Sticks and heads are a whole nother matter with him.

It should be noted that Zach is a huge fan of both John Bonham and Tim Alexander, and I'm sure he would be very honored to be mentioned alongside them in these discussions.

Bonham to the moon said:
yes?? Bonham saw Moon live many times and was amazed at his power and speed.

not exactly but the ironic thing about moon being bonhams influence is:

the way led zeppelin got their name is from keith moon....when led zeppelin formed drummer of the who keith moon told them theyd go down faster than a led zeppelin....therefore giving led zeppelin their name. so basically the one that influenced bonham told him that his band would fail and go no where.

pdp 9091 said:
not exactly but the ironic thing about moon being bonhams influence is:

the way led zeppelin got their name is from keith moon....when led zeppelin formed drummer of the who keith moon told them theyd go down faster than a led zeppelin....therefore giving led zeppelin their name. so basically the one that influenced bonham told him that his band would fail and go no where.

He told Jimmy that they would go over like a "led balloon". He told Jimmy this when Jimmy was considering starting a band with Keith Moon, John Entwistle, and Steve Winwood. He didn't direct it twoards Led Zeppelin, he said it about the band Jimmy wanted to start with Moon.

He told Jimmy that they would go over like a "led balloon". He told Jimmy this when Jimmy was considering starting a band with Keith Moon, John Entwistle, and Steve Winwood. He didn't direct it twoards Led Zeppelin, he said it about the band Jimmy wanted to start with Moon.

exactly.

The message you have entered is too short. Please lengthen your message to at least 20 characters.

if you like to here the same old crap over and over again
then you like john bonham, as far as i'm concernd he's
way over rated.

here are some drummers that would crush john bonham.

neil peart

alex van halen

keith moon.

these 3 drummers here are all around drummers,
john bonham was not a all around drummer

a_rockdrummer said:

neil peart

alex van halen

keith moon.

Same crap over and over again, are you kidding me?!

How can you sit here and say out like those three drummers but don't like Bonham. I'm especialy amazed that you insult Bonham, then list Alex Van Halen as someone more well rounded as him! Not to insult Alex, or any of his fans, but A V H never really did it for me, I never really dug him, not to say he is bad or anything.

Keith Moon and Neil Peart I can see why someone may be a bigger fan of them, but to say that one is better than the other is a very ignorant statement. That's like saying chocolate is better than vanilla, it's all opinion. To say that chocolate is the same old crap and vanilla is much better is ridiculous!

Oh, and I don't like to "here" Bonham, I like to "hear" Bonham.

I'll let someone else take it from here...

Achille's Last Stand, or Out on the Tiles

i find that if you for the most part try to ignore the ignorant posts things are a lot easier, though i have a tough time not saying something sometimes.

a_rockdrummer said:

neil peart

alex van halen

keith moon.

I respect your opinion even though I feel you are wrong. Trying to say one drummer is better then the other is like comparing apples and oranges. Everyone has their own style and expresses themselves differently, that is the beauty of music. Neil Peart's drumming wouldn't have fit with Zeppelin's music and Bonham wouldn't have fit with Rush. They each played what their particular music called for, and they both did it very well. Bonham was a pioneer in what is now considered Heavy Metal, he is the most influential rock drummer of all time. To just blow him off as a overated drummer is ridiculous. Bonham was very much an all around drummer he played on a lot of different albums from other artists. For example one of Paul McCartney's solo albums he played on a couple of tracks, wouldn't you say McCartney's music is a lot different then Zeppelin's? If he was not a flexible drummer he would have never been asked to play. And you also say he plays the same thing over and over, well I have listened to a lot of The Who and Moon played the same structure in most of their songs. You can hear the same fills in a lot of their music too. Alex Van Halen praises Bonham as a huge influence on him, in fact you can hear a lot of Bonham fills in some of their old stuff. And how many times have we heard massive tom rolls from Peart, or the cowbell solo? Drummers create their own style and stick with fills that work for them, and the drummers you have listed are no different.

Led Zeppelin was the band that got me hooked on rock&roll. John Bonham was the drummer that made me want to learn. I love what everyone has to say about him and even if his style isn't exactly your cup of tea, everyone can certainly respect his talent and his dedication to his craft. He played every single show with the utmost intensity and his contributions to the world of music are, in my opinion, invaluable.

yeah bonzo!!!

Being lucky to see Zep play not once but 3 times, I'd have to say ANY LIVE Moby Dick would make your head hurt for a week or 2 and not from the volume level but tryin to figure out what he was doing..

NEVER MIND THE POST BELOW HE NEVER SAW ZEP LIVE

Did you know Zep was an improv/jam band? Check out more than just the studio cuts and Song Remains the Same and you'll see that. Find some bootleg stuff or some LIVE BBC stuff you'll get the drift.

Last edited:
Back