Autographs

Not sure if this belongs in here or in the 'your gear' section. Mods, please move if need be.

Anyone collect drummers autographs? Alternatively, who have you met?

I've not met many of these, but here's who's autograph I have. Pictures to follow later this week:

Joe Morella (Dave Brubeck...Take Five!)

Gene Krupa (No Explanation needed!)

Bobby Graham (UK Session Drummer - You Really Got Me, Glad All Over etc)

Charlie Watts (Rolling Stones)

Steve White (Style Council/The Who/Oasis)

Receiving these soon:

Clem Cattini (UK Session Drummer - Telstar....The Wombles :) )

Paul Cook (Sex Pistols)

Hal Blaine (The Wrecking Crew, no explanation needed Pt 2!)

I have an acoustic guitar that is signed by:

Robert Cray
Taj Mahal
Danny Gatton (my prize autograph, but it's gone now. Danny wouldn't scratch his name in the wood with the pen like everyone else, he signed it in a Sharpie. Which wore off eventually, curses)
Rory Block
Tommy Conwell
And some local players you probably wouldn't know.

I have a Yamaha keyboard I lent to Peter Tork of the Monkees that he signed.
(he did a show at a bar I played at a lot, with his band at the time. I got a call from the bar owner asking if I had a keyboard to lend) Peter looked like he just rolled out of bed before doing the gig. He was a bit of a dirtbag IMO. Not a very nice man that day.

No drummer autographs. I'd rather someone sign one of my instruments.

I only have one autographed pic in my music room.

OVQAjMK.jpg

I've met way too many drummers and musicians over my 30 years in the LA area. Some I got autographs from, others I just met or hung out with, and a few actually became good friends.

Alex Van Halen [first pro drummer ever met, 1981]
Carmine Appice [first drum clinic, 1984]
Sandy West
Terry Bozzio
Chad Wackerman
Marco Minnemann
Gregg Bissonette
Rick Latham
Billy Ward
Terri Lyne Carrington
Chad Sexton
Longineu "LP" Parsons
Jimmy Chamberlin
Steve Smith
Freddie Gruber
Kenny Wilson [aka Ginger Fish]

Special notation of Bermuda and Nick Menza [RIP], two drummers who actually made a difference in my life.

Also recently inherited a bunch of official artwork autographed by The Rolling Stones. Will have to talk to a conservatory about selling those.

Attaching a few photos, just for fun.

Last edited:
Recently built frame with signed head.Always glad to play along. Will now start another head.

Attachments

• IMG_4476.jpg
    IMG_4476.jpg
    125.5 KB · Views: 525
  • IMG_4471.jpg
    IMG_4471.jpg
    124.6 KB · Views: 525
The only drummer autograph I got is from Carl Palmer, written on his first (?) LP. He had to read the liner notes and look at the pictures for a good while since he hadn't seen the album in many years! It seemed like it brought back many memories. And gave him a good laugh too.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    179 KB · Views: 518
I have very few celeb autographs, Hal for sure on various handwritten notes, Andy Newmark, Alan White, Glen Sobel, and some fellow Ludwig artists over the last 10 years: Frankie Banali, Ed Shaughnessy, etc.

But I have been lucky enough to shake hands and take some pics (and occasionally become chummy) with some major names like Mitch Mitchell, Chad Smith, Bun E., Bozzio, Carmine, et al.

Bermuda

Signed sticks from Steve White (Style Council/Paul Weller/The Who/Oasis)

Signed drum head from Alan White (Oasis) and I also own one of his drumkits

Signed clock - Nick Mason (the Pink Floyd one)

Signed Book - Mark Guiliana

Small collection but I don't really ask for autographs. Could have a bigger collection if I did, which I'll probably regret one day.

I also have 2 drum heads, and a pair of sticks, and a DVD signed by George "Spanky" McCurdy.

Attachments

• IMG_4560.JPG
    IMG_4560.JPG
    75.6 KB · Views: 483
I have very few autographs, I don't really collect them. And I've met way too many musicians and entertainment people to name, but here are a couple things I have signed:

-Personalized signed photo of Joey Kramer (Aerosmith).

-Signed CD & Concert ticket from Kittie (They are close personal friends so I don't know if that counts.

-Signed Joe Calato "JC" Model drumsticks.

-Signed CD by Rob Zombie.

Idk, probably some other stuff, but like I said, I'm not a huge collector.

I do have some rare drumsticks, not signed, but rare.

Pair of Regal Tip Lars Ulrich 5B Elite (mid-90's).
Pair of Zildjian John Tempesta "zombie era" sticks.
2 pair Vater Tommy Lee models (prototypes never mass produced, as he never officially switched to Vater).
Pair of concert used Ringo Starr Pro Mark sticks.

I have a small number of autographs, the newer models of artists making money mean that they can often be had for paying a few pounds extra when buying a new CD etc. Which isn't quite as much fun.
In my "collection".

A flyer for the 1984 Metro Radio Jazz Festival signed by George Melly. No interest when put on eBay at even £5. I got this myself.

A copy of the Repression album by Trust signed by Nono and Moho and a tattier album cover only, signed by them in felt tip. I bought the first myself after an instore signing session, a friend got the other done for me.

A postcard signed by the entire band that I paid extra for when I bought the Level 42 Live From The Metropolis Studios DVD and CD set.

A postcard signed by Jethro Tull's Ian Anderson that came with the deluxe version of the Homo Erraticus album I bought.

A signed copy of the latest Classical Jethro Tull album, again I paid the extra to get it.

A personalised signature from Neal X (of Sigue Sigue Sputnik) for crowdfunding his Montecristos album.

A drumhead signed by Nico McBrain, along with photographic evidence, and Gavin Harrison.

A Gold spray painted hard hat (don't ask) signed by Gavin Harrison.

3 of Pete ray Biggin's Pro Mark 717 sticks from two different Level 42 gigs.

I've also got Mark King's signature (Level 42 bass player) on three seperate items. A copy of their Live At Reading CD that I bought off eBay recently, on the 12" limited edition hand numbered Sirens single from about 3 years back, and the most exciting one for me is the one on the Live On The Isle Of Wight DVD that I bought about 12 or even more years back. I hadn't realised what a cottage industry things were for him at the time so when it came in the post with a short message personalised to me I was knocked out.smallerPICT1460.jpg

Some great replies here, I did initially mean drummers autographs only but there's no rules and some interesting answers! I think so far the gold spray painted hat by Gavin Harrison is the winner!

Pictures of mine below. I bought Gene Krupa's on ebay for £30 ish (on the reverse side is The Andrews Sisters signatures!), and I wrote to Charlie Watts for his. The Joe Morello + Bobby Graham autographs weren't intended - I bought a programme of Dave Brubeck's on eBay and was pleasantly surprised to see Joe Morello's signature inside. Likewise, just bought Bobby Graham's biography on eBay, no mention of it being signed in the listing so it was a nice surprise when it arrived and I turned to the first page.

IMG_1882.JPG

IMG_1885.JPG

IMG_1888.JPG

IMG_1881.JPG

Another few I just remembered. Rufus Taylor of The Darkness (Roger Taylor's son) and Daniel Glass (Royal Crown Revue)

IMG_1886.JPG

IMG_1887.JPG

Last edited:
Thank you PW Carbert.
At this point it would be impolite not to tell you how it all came about.
A previous band used to play YMCA as the penultimate song of the night, complete with Police hat, Sailor hat, Native American Headress and Construction Worker's helmet. I joked that it would be good if I could be the construction worker and have a cowbell on my helmet to play that with my right hand during the choruses. Low and behold our guitarist made it for me, and a couple of years later when Gavin Harrison came to town to do a clinic I thought it would be a great idea to combine his sublime talent with my ridiculous headwear.Gavin Helmet.jpeg

Finally completed my collection. Taken a while but everything is there now - only one of the signatures is fake (bought a repro off eBay), everything else is genuine.

From the top down:

Clem Cattini, Hal Blaine, Bobby Graham
Charlie Watts, Gene Krupa, Joe Morello
Paul Cook, Ringo Starr, Mick Avory39388089_2002334626743610_8211099759025324032_n.jpg

I have only one autograph from a drummer.
It's my signed ticket by Buddy from the filming of the Boston Pops.
I wouldn't know how to display it because the info is on one side and the sig is on the other.

I made this two sided frame that flips over to show another photo on the other side. You can also get free standing acrylic frames that are clear on both sides.

IMG_0437.jpg

I've only ever been this close to one famous drummer, and I've only got this picture to prove it - no autographs. But I like to think for having done it only once, I did it right.

MenPete.jpg

Back