The passing of popular people/musicians/entertainers

Swiss Matthias

Platinum Member
I wanted to state something, but I'd like to write it in a separate thread in order to not step all over a thread where it's about a certain person who died.
And I absolutely don't have anybody particularly in mind, nor do I want to criticize anyone in particular.

When a musician or entertainer or artist in general dies, and everyone seems to write something including "RIP" in their status, I want to join them, because it's a sad certainly.

On the other hand though, everytime someone famous or popular dies and it's all over social media, I feel bad because I think people "just" celebrate whatever that person did that they liked (which will normally be entertainment "only") and they are sad that this entertainment will be over. But actually I believe that everybody is worth the same as a human being, and for every person whose death causes great waves on social media, hundreds or probably thousands of people and lives are simply overlooked. But they had family too, they have a mother who mourns, and they leave loving ones behind. And they probably read facebook posts as well, where it's all about certain popular people, and not about someone who wasn't known at all. To me that's quite a sad thing, and unjust, too.

The extra attention that celebrities get isn't intended to downplay anyone else's worth, in the same way that the old Save the Whales campaign wasn't meant to say 'and screw the dolphins'. It's just that certain well-known people touch more lives than others, and therefor there are more public reactions to their deaths.

As for anyone being overlooked, I think that depends more on one's circle of friends, and the extent that they share their personal sorrow and loss on social media. Not everyone is so forthcoming with personal losses, where a 'public' figure tends to get more objective, non-personal attention.

That said, I have a large number of friends on facebook who share personal details, and many who don't. It's simply a matter of their level of privacy and discretion.

Bermuda

I see more posts on my Facebook page when a Facebook friends loved one dies than I do here for musicians. 10 people may something here for a passed musician whereas 20 or 30 people post on Facebook and those are just my small circle. I understand what you mean and yes many " normal" people die every day but they are mourned in their own circles as far as I can see.

Not advisable to use Facebook posts or any other social media response as a measure of the importance, meaning or validity of one's life.
In a world of 7 billion people, the sheer numbers mean many lives will go overlooked, un-noticed, or un-heralded by the other 6.999 billion.

True artistic innovators aren't usually main stream popular, nor do most of them make that much money. They are know by informed musicians and they're special because they're in it for art, not fame.

If they should get famous they stay that way because they have more to give.

Famous deaths are now a currency because the stars of yesteryear are the only shared experiences we have left.

When we watch a show on Netflix, it's likely our friends are watching another show on one of the 250 other channels that are available. Same with music.

It's not like when we only had three channels and one Top 40 station, so we all watched Gilligan's Island and Listened to Island Girl or Afternoon Delight because it was the the only TV or music that existed.

Aside from the Superbowl, which about half of people watch, we just don't share cultural events any more.

But, when some star from a 70s TV show or band dies, it's a loss that we all share in a way. I can gain some currency by alerting friends that such-and-such a musician died today. I know more than them, and now I'm filling them in.

For all of these reasons, I propose the following legislation: If Chuck Berry dies, you can not mourn his death publicly on social media unless you had "Johnny B. Goode" or "School Days" loaded on your phone at the time of this passing.

For all of these reasons, I propose the following legislation: If Chuck Berry dies, you can not mourn his death publicly on social media unless you had "Johnny B. Goode" or "School Days" loaded on your phone at the time of this passing.

I propose that vinyl will still count for a while longer.

Back