INTRODUCTIONS: Please Use This Thread To Introduce Yourself!

My name is Gary Reynolds. I live in Waynesboro, Ms (deeeeeeeep south USA). I'm 56 yrs old, but have the curiosity of a two yr old. If you ask my wife she would probably say I'm about 14.

I started playing drums when I found out you can make money hitting things with sticks, lol. I've been playing since I was 20, played steady until I was 40 (cover bands -- rock, country and then funk bands). Then one night I asked my wife what was for supper and she said, "Salt soup!" So I got a day job and stopped playing for 15 yrs. Just started playing again last year.

I have been married 30 yrs; have twin daughters 24 yrs old. My user name is a combination of my daughter's names. Sharka and Reyna = sharkrey

I grew up in the classic rock years so my influences are Don Brewer and Bonham. My favorite drummer right now is probably Harvey Mason. And I like all the current big dogs also. Oh...and Rene Creemers.

I play a basic 4 pc. Pearl kit with Zildjian cymbals. I practice on a pad every day. I have a nephew that is playing and we are going through Tommy Igoe's Great Hands for a Lifetime dvd.

I currently play in a contemporary praise and worship band on Sundays and we occasionally play youth conferences.

Besides drumming, I am a follower of Jesus, a student of chess, an artist (fractal art and Chinese brush painting), and I try to find joy in all aspects of life. Aaaaaand I read voracously. Yea!

So...helllo, everyone!

Real name? Mike
Age? 50
How long have you been playing? not long..played around on friend's kits when young.
Origin of user name? none really
Your top 5 drummers? Bonham, Ringo Starr,Charlie Watts, Jimmy Chamberlain, Taylor Hawkins
Make of drumkit? Yamaha Tour Customs/Pearl hardware
Make of cymbal? Zildjan, Avedis
Where do you practice? Home
Are you in a band? No
Do you play covers or originals? Covers
What style of music? Rock
Favourite take out food? Pizza
What country do you live in? U.S.
One really odd fact about yourself? I drink RedBulls w/ pecan spins for breakfast
How did you start drumming? Pots/Pans as a kid

I am a stagehand/rigger also. http://vimeo.com/16421635

Last edited:
I've been playing drums since 1978...professionally since 1985.
My top 5 drummers would have to be: Bill Ward, John Bonham, Buddy Rich,Gene Krupa and Ginger Baker...its a tie with Moony.
Make of drumkit: Ludwig...always Ludwig
Cymbals: well, I'm partial to zildjian,but I have a Paiste endorsement through the band.
Where do I practice?: usually at the Gibson showroom in NYC. It used to be the Hit Factory for years.
My band is LEZ ZEPPELIN...all girls, all Zeppelin. I live in the USA..in both NYC and my hometown of Houston.
I started playing drums when my guitar teacher told me he thought I would make a good drummer...I went and saw Black Sabbath in 78'...and that's all she wrote. Got a little three piece kit and beat the hell out of it!
My other job is being a Reverend. I marry people!
WWW.eleesae.com
WWW.lezzeppelin.com

Real name? Andrew
Age? 25 and a half
How long have you been playing? 13ish years
Origin of user name? Type of potato chips/crisps
Your top 5 drummers? Dave Grohl, Jon Theodore, Benny Greb, Jean Paul Gaster, myself
Make of drumkit? Mapex Saturn, big
Make of cymbal? Zildjian mostly
Where do you practice?Pads and mini kit in my lounge, nowhere on my big kit :(
Are you in a band? In a classic/pub rock covers band, and a retired originals band
Do you play covers or originals? Started doing covers six months ago, played originals most of the time
What style of music? Punk-blues-rock, getting into funk, jazz, and jazzy funk
Favourite take out food? Indian - aloo mattar or channa masala most often. yum.
What country do you live in? A city called Rotorua in New Zealand.
One really odd fact about yourself? I'm a vegan
How did you start drumming? with one stick on a blue suitcase, when my dad was watching a Dire Straits video, when I was too young to know how old I was

Last edited:
Hi everybody! I'm new to these forums, because I never really knew there is so much going on on drum forums :eek: So I'm here to stay :)

Hi I'm Robbert. I'm 23 years old, and I'm from Amsterdam in Holland. I've been playing drum for around 11 years now. I give drum lessons, in real life in online!. I own a website, called www.coverdrummer.com where I provide drumlessons for learning how to drum specific songs. It's brand new, a work in progress :)
My acoustic kit:
Tame Starclassic Maple. 5 Zildjians and 2 Sabian cymbals. Iron Cobra double bass.
My e-kit:
Roland td9-kx. Also with a double bass, and an extra cymbal. On my e-kit I record all my lessons!

I play in a band for 6 years now. We perform regularly, and practise in my attic! We play metal :)

I listen to many styles of music, from light jazz to death metal. I enjoy playing heavy music the most.

See you around!

Last edited:
Hi!!!
Name:Coral
I'm in my teen's.
Been playing for about 3 years. So since I was 10.
I live on the outskirts of London, England.
My drumkit make is CBdrums and its the first drumkit I've had ;D
I'm not in a band but I know a lot of people that play instruments
My user name is first from my nickname and second my dog,Mars
I always wanted to be a drummer so it was great when on my birthday my kit arrived!!!
Bye!

HI!
my name is Karl
I'm filipino, and live in Cebu, Cebu, Philippines
My kit is a Q7 by mes with a 20" planet Z ride and Meinl HCS 14"crash and 13"Hats
its my first set-up so dont mock me
my dad bought drums one day, and i decided to play them. i fell in love with the beats and the sound of those cymbals, so i decided that i will become a drummer
and oh yeah, im 15

Hi everyone!

Real name?
My real name is hard to pronounce so a lot of people call me Frank.

Age?
Currently in my early 20s

How long have you been playing?
I've been playing drums since freshman year of high school on my younger brother's Royce Drumset, which sadly I still use today.

Origin of user name?
It's an old username I've been using for awhile. Don't recall how I made it up.

Your top 5 drummers?
Too many great drummers to list, I however have two that truly inspires me everyday: Jeff Porcaro and Bernard Purdie

Make of drumkit?
As I said, Royce Drumset with a 1960s Ludwig Pioneer Blue Duco or Gretsch Catalina Black Marine Pearl Snare

Make of cymbal?
Zildjian cymbals, 14" Quick Beats, 18" K Custom Dark Crash, 21" Armand Ride (love!), 12" 1970s Hi-hats, and 18" Z Custom Chinaboy

Where do you practice?
Either it's in the basement at home or in my apartment tapping on my drum pad

Are you in a band?
Currently play for the basketball band at my university.

Do you play covers or originals?
I play both cover and original, very often is cover

What style of music?
Mostly rock and pop, but I have an big interest in Latin and Jazz as well as Funk and Drum 'n Bass

Favourite take out food?
I'll get back at that soon.

What country do you live in?
USA

One really odd fact about yourself?
I can't sleep without hugging a pillow

How did you start drumming?
Funny you asked. Back when I was a freshman in high school I started playing different Japanese music games (Dance Dance Revolution, beatmania IIDX, etc) and one game spark my interest, drummania. Saw a similar video like this one and the rest was history.

Hi guys, I love drumming and I hope you all do to (of course you do!)

Favourite Hobby: Drumming... duh :)

Life Ambition: Drummer

Favourite Food: Sushi or Duck

1 Of My Dreams: To go to America for a year!

1 Weird Fact: I LOVE ANIMAL

Funny story. I played professionally from age 14 to 24 and then hung up the sticks to pursue education and career. Didnt touch a stick until age 67. Found a bunch at the office who had either played as pros or had learned to play and so we started a band and the Company offered us a practice room and we now have a bass, organist, three guitar pickers and a vocalist. Simply awesome to restart after all those years but the chops dont come back as easily as I thought they would. Coming along but certainly not even close to where I was 40 something years ago. Funny that now I do lose the handle on a stick now and then! Speed is slow to come back though and that is very frustrating.

Hi I am new to tis site and new to drumming iv been drumming for about 8weeks I've played guitar and bass for almost 15 years the current band iv been in for the past 2 years has alway needed a dedicated drummer so once I found another guitar/bass player I jumped on The the Roland TD10 that was just sitting here and after a few jams itseemd to stick the band is a church band we play all styles of music from gospel to death metal for live shows out of church I was using my friends pearl vision set I was so worried about scratching or damaging it so a few weeks ago I found a used ludwig accent set for 250$ it needed new Tom heads so i ordered a set of Remo black suede emperors and the shells were perfectly round and the bearings were perfect it had one straight cymbal stand And I found a boom stand with a mid 70-80s zilg avidas 18" crash ride the hi hats were cheap so I called a pro drummer friend who was sponcered back in the 80s by Sabian he dug through his old sets and found a used hi hat set ofcorse the brand was missing it had been used so much and he gave me a 80s zilg 20" ride I think Iv got a good starter set now here are a few pics and a vid of my first cover I'm still sloppy but I'm getting better the pics are of before I receive the ride and hi hats from my friend ttyl

6a28d7ee.jpg

8d553629.jpg

http://i1228.photobucket.com/albums/ee451/bloodmoonwidow/guitars and drums/YoureGonnaGoFarKid.mp4

Hey everybody I am Jeff, and I am 19 years old. I have been drumming for about 11 years. I have been apart of drumline, percussion ensemble, jazz bands etc. I am really hoping to be a drum set/percussionists for Blue Man Group in the future. That is my dream...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Real name? Iain- Not Lain as everyone seems determined to call me
Age? 45 , heading for yet another birthday :0(
How long have you been playing? Since I was about 11
Origin of user name? My name is Iain and I'm a big lad- my last name starts with a W
Your top 5 drummers? Phil Collins, Paul Hester (RIP), Neal Wilkinson, Steve Gadd, Gregg Bissonette
Make of drumkit? Mapex Saturn 6 piece (3 racks) in supernova burst
Make of cymbal? Zildjian, A custom/ K Custom/ Oriental
Where do you practice? Occasionally with my band in rehearsal studios, otherwise I don't
Are you in a band? Pub rock band playing covers, versions and originals http://www.theshineonline.co.uk
Do you play covers or originals? Covers mostly, with the odd original
What style of music? Anything- we tend to make songs fit us
Favourite take out food? Indian
What country do you live in? Scotland- its so wet here I should really have gills
One really odd fact about yourself? Don't know if it's odd, but I'm a foster parent.
How did you start drumming? Playing along to top of the pops with a pair of sticks someone gave me on the tuperware tubs my mum gave me to keep my toy soldiers in...

name-stirling fox,band-the strainers, playing drums for 40 years,just getting started back up again .i had to sell my new epic luds,now i play one of the new rogers starter kits, man what a cheap kit but we got the band going again and i needed some thing fast becouse we are playing halloween night.i play sabian ,gibraltar, maypex hardware and gibraltar bass bedals,stix-pro mark 747 neil perts ,heads,i like aquarian heads,super kick 2s all there heads are great.will be getting a better kit some time soon.im from L.A. california and now live in oklahoma city ok .

Last edited:
Real name?
Andrew or Drew
Age?
4 years now, going on 5.
Origin of user name?
my name is Andrew and the month and day of my birthday.
Your top 5 drummers?
  • Neil Peart
  • Chad Selzgia
  • Buddy Rich
  • Derrek Roddy
  • Tony Royster Jr.
Make of drumkit?
Sound Percussion (I know, shitty brand) 4-piece
Make of cymbal?
Sabian B8/Minel HCS hi-hats
Where do you practice?
My front room at my house or at our singers house.
Are you in a band?
Yes, we're called Jericho
Originals mostly with the occasional cover
What style of music?
Experimental Hard Rock
Favorite take out food?
CHINESE!
US
Wouldn't call it odd, but i do many imitations of different accents.
I started tapping on my desk in 3rd grade and in 5th grade went to play snare drum in the school band. I put the sticks down for three years (6th,7th,8th, and freshmen year) then i got my first set which i still have (soup percussion) and i started my band around the 5th or 6th month of having a actual kit and thats about it.

Hello !!

Hi everybody! I'm new one here !
My name is Mike 'Th0rn' and I'm from Warsaw, Poland. I playing actually in Sphere (www.myspace.com/sphereband) so join us!! So I think that I will be there sometimes
greetz!!
mike.

Ps. Sorry for my poor English :)

How long have you been playing: Just started.

Origin of user name: My initials.

Your top 5 drummers: Keith Moon, Ringo Starr, Charlie Watts, Steve Gadd, Steve Smith. I'm actually an old deadhead (loved Jerry, still miss him), but I never really got into those drums-space parts, so I can't list Bill or Mickey.

Make of drumkit: Don't have one yet. Just practice pads.

Make of cymbal: Don't have one yet.

Where do you practice: At home in our sunroom.

Are you in a band: Nope.

Do you play covers or originals: Would exercises from Stick Control be considered covers or originals?

What style of music: Technique exercises, rudiments. Is that a style?

Favorite take out food: Chili cheeseburger from Carney's on Sunset.

What country do you live in: USA (Cambridge, MA. I know, pretty far from Carney's.)

One really odd fact about yourself: Well, it's not so much odd, but a family relationship that I'm very proud of... My grandfather was Jack Benny. So I should be funny or play violin, but neither applies.

How did you start drumming: I've always loved drums and like to watch drummers in shows, but growing up, I never learned any sort of musical instrument. Now I have 3 young children (all boys), and we're making music education mandatory. My 7-year-old started guitar about 6 months ago; my 6-year-old just started keyboard; and my 4-year-old will start something next year, and so far, he's leaning towards drums. With all that going on, my wife and I decided to join in, so she's learning guitar and me drums.

So here I am at the age of 47 just getting started on drums. So far, I'm self teaching, though I do plan to get an instructor. I definitely need it. I've also, so far, focused just on technique, practicing on pads with a metronome. I do plan to get a kit soon, but I have to say that I've gotten pretty obsessed with technique and rudiments. For me, it's surprisingly fun, and I can spend amazing amounts of time just doing practice exercises. I've bought pretty much every technique DVD and book out there, and many of them are very good.

Mainly, I've been following the lesson plan in Mark Wessels "A Fresh Approach to the Snare Drum," and I supplement that with exercises from books (especially "Stick Control" and "Syncopation") and imitation of technique from DVDs (especially Tommy Igoe's "Great Hands"). Great stuff. Great fun!

-- Bobby

Real name?
Kyle

Age?

5 years.

Origin of user name?
K for Kyle, Beatle for the Beatles, 97 for the year I was born.

Your top 5 drummers?
In no particular order...
1. John Bonham
2. Max Roach
3. Elvin Jones
4. Mitch Mitchell
5. Art Blakey

Make of drumkit?
DW shells, pedals, and hardware, Remo heads, Pearl steel shell snare.

Make of cymbal?
Zildjian and Meinl

Where do you practice?
Music room in my basement. Here are some pictures with my old drums. Ignore the fake mural in the window. It used to be a kid's bedroom. That should be switched out as soon as the new mural gets here.
MusicRoom3.jpg

MusicRoom2.jpg

musicroom1.jpg

Are you in a band?
Yes, we haven't come up with any names, but it's a jazz trio. I like to think we're pretty good. Our pianist has actually been on Good Morning America playing the piano. Current setlist is in my sig. I'm also in the school praise band, selected from all the high school. I'm the only freshmen to have ever been selected. The last two I'm in are also jazz. There's an organization called KCYJ, Kansas City Youth Jazz, though it's not really young youth. Most people are between 7th and 12th grade. I'm in one of the big bands there, and also a small combo of about 5. This is also how I met the two toher guys in my jazz trio.

Both. Mostly covers of standards, but we have some original blues and jazz tunes, and even some funk and rock tunes.

What style of music?
Jazz, bossa, mambo, samba, funk, and some rock.

Favourite take out food?
Cheeseburgers. That counts, right?

America

I collect vinyl records. I have about 400 of them, mostly classic rock. While I mostly play jazz, my favorite listening is classic rock. Rarest records in my collection are a first pressing of Some Girls by the Rolling Stones, with the original girls on the cover, and a first pressing of Led Zeppelin III with the rotating wheel. And yes, I play them.

In 4th grade I decided I would join the 5th grade band, and to get a leg up on everyone else, I started taking glockenspiel lessons about midway through 4th grade. I had taken piano since first grade, so I knew how to read, play, etc. It was just a matter of getting the feel. I enjoyed lessons, and eventually, my instructor started me playing marching and concert snare, which led to drumset. Nowadays, I don't do much snare, and I'm not in the school band, but I do still play in the 4 bands I mentioned.

And that's me. Hope to become an active member here. Seems like a great community!

Back