Looking for great maple snare for studio. Rock, pop, country.

I have a Mapex Black Panther Phat Bob that is amazing! It's 14x7, 12mm maple that delivers a phenomenal sound. Tunes from high to low with ease and can cover all the bases you're asking. I believe it's 7 ply. I have a Evans Genera dry head on batter and a Evans hazy 300 reso. There's a reason why they call it "Phat" Bob. Enjoy the hunt but you most definitely need to check this bad boy out.

Steve

I tracked this guy other day and he had some old Ludwig maple and it sounded great.

The new ones sound good too. I sold my DW Craviotto because I like my 14x6.5 Ludwig Classic maple much more. No offense to Craviotto, I think it was the DW part I did not like. DW cut the edges and beds on all the Craviottos and sure enough, it sounded like a DW maple snare. Never liked any DW maple snare I have ever owned for some reason.

I have a Mapex Black Panther Phat Bob that is amazing! It's 14x7, 12mm maple that delivers a phenomenal sound. Tunes from high to low with ease and can cover all the bases you're asking. I believe it's 7 ply. I have a Evans Genera dry head on batter and a Evans hazy 300 reso. There's a reason why they call it "Phat" Bob. Enjoy the hunt but you most definitely need to check this bad boy out.

Steve

Thanks man I just checked out some videos, sounds great.

The new ones sound good too. I sold my DW Craviotto because I like my 14x6.5 Ludwig Classic maple much more. No offense to Craviotto, I think it was the DW part I did not like. DW cut the edges and beds on all the Craviottos and sure enough, it sounded like a DW maple snare. Never liked any DW maple snare I have ever owned for some reason.

Just checked it out too. That is sweet.

Great maple snares? I would recommend Ludwig Classic Maples from the standard builders. For a few more bucks, but not outrageous, Nobel and Cooley maple snares.

Ditto on the Noble and Cooley suggestion.

When considering maple, & especially in a recording application, also consider purpleheart and ash. Both bring all the maple tones to the party, but add that little bit more palate to choose from.

Seeing that we have no idea about what your budget is , I will offer suggestions on a budgetary tier basis.

Under $350.00 - Tama SLP maple is a good choice - well made, nice finish and good hardware.

Mid price - Ludwig Classic maple - very underrated drums, really wide tuning range and very versatile.

Mid to High End -
Ludwig Legacy Classic - my personal favourite Ludwig wood shell snare drum, classic sound, can be fat or crisp.
Noble & Cooley CD maple - superb ply shell snares

High End -
Noble & Cooley SS - classic solid shell maple snare drums. These almost single handedly started the boutique snare drum craze in the 80's.
Craviotto - a classic , superb craftsmanship, great value, these along with the Noble and Cooley are universally well thought of.

I have never seen purpleheart or ash. Who makes those?
A number of companies, including us :) We find that ash, & especially English ash, has such a wonderful balance & long note, you can make them do pretty much anything. Purpleheart is essentially maple on steroids. Actually, more "maple" than maple if I'm making any sense. Of course, performance depends on wood quality, construction, & a host of other stuff. The good stuff isn't cheap.

A number of companies, including us :) We find that ash, & especially English ash, has such a wonderful balance & long note, you can make them do pretty much anything. Purpleheart is essentially maple on steroids. Actually, more "maple" than maple if I'm making any sense. Of course, performance depends on wood quality, construction, & a host of other stuff. The good stuff isn't cheap.

Oh I know the good stuff isn't cheap. Had a Korina wood Gibson Flying V. Korina is the holy grail of electric guitars just like Brazilian Rosewood is the holy grail of acoustics. Thank you ex wife for destroying them both : (.

I'm gonna check out your Guru snares : )

I always liked the Pearl MCX Masters 6ply maple for a lower cost, budget friendly snare. Both the 5.5" and 6.5" versions I've tried are great.

+1 on the Tama SLP Classic Maple. I have one and it's so versatile. I use it literally for all genres. And of course it's nothing less than blast proof because it has Tama written on it

Unix stave maple..giant sound, very articulate, lovely tone.

F

I use a Maple Custom Absolute (14X5). Both woody and penetrating. Tunes easily, low or high. Great throw-off. Paid two beans used, and couldn't be happier with this drum.
Good luck, and have fun on the hunt.

I just tried a Tama Starphonic Maple snare the other day, and it blew me away. Definitely a very versatile, articulate drum. Give it a look see for sure.

Cheers!

Tama starphonics,Tama SLP's are very good for their price point.

Ludwig classic maples are excellent drums,as is the Legacy 3 ply maple/poplar/maple shell.

If you can find a vintage Slingerland Artist model in 3 ply or steam bent maple,then thats also a great snare drum,as is the Hollywood Ace model.

Vintage Ludwig Jazzfestivals and superclassic models also sound great.

Niel Peart used an Artist for a very long time till he started playing DW.

Steve B

Back