Internet Smarts

Coldhardsteel

Gold Member
There's book smarts, street smarts...

And until within the last couple of decades, internet smarts.

It's like street smarts, except digitized. You gotta know how to defend yourself or understand jargon and lingo and all that.

How smart do you think you are in this category?

Overall I'd say 8/10.

P.S. If you don't understand when I say "You must be trollin'" then you're probably not too internet savvy.

Simple.....I am a moron when it comes to all things internet.

Some of the jargon I was down with (lol, lmao)...most of it I've either had to look up or figure out since joining this forum (rofl, btw, fwiw). I only discovered what 'ymmv' meant when I looked it up last week!!

I stuffed up simple things like cutting and pasting links when I first joined. I didn't know trolls existed (who the hell would bother?) and Polly had to tell me what a googlebot spider was. I still have no idea how to upload pics or sound files. Yet, I work on computers all day. But there I just know what buttons to push to obtain what I need......remember the monkeys in the early NASA tests? :)

I can read and write, so I have no problem communicating, but I find I write more than I'd actually speak in order to try to avoid any confusion.

Yep, overall I'm an internet dummy. 3.5/10

Im 53 years old, Im an internet moron when you compare me to younger people!
If you compare me to most of my friends that are my age, or older, Im an internet superstar!

My friends are always asking me to help them with internet things.

Heres a funny story, Last week I was asked to call a band member who was late for practice.
I spoke into my phone and commanded it to call him. I then spoke with the tardy musician.
My friends looked at me with a strange look as I placed the call!
It seems that none of them knew about voice activated phones!
I looked at their phones. They all had voice activated phones and they didn't even know it!

One day a friend wanted to burn a CD for me. I said don't bother, I'll just bluetooth the file to my phone from your computer. my friend said, "What's Bluetooth?"
I then showed him how to sync the devices and transfer the files.

Most middle aged people just don't get it.

I love showing my friends how to copy/paste!

Last month some friends were getting a new computer. I was aware that they had just installed wifi for their daughter so I asked them if they were going to buy a laptop for themselves.
They said no because they needed a powerful computer to download videos, etc.
It took me a half an hour to prove to them that a laptop was just as fast as a desktop. They couldn't understand that you could hook up a large monitor and a full sized keyboard to a
laptop and use it like a desktop if you wanted to.

Last edited:
1'm 27, w0r|{ 4$ 4 n37w0r|{ 3n91n33r 4n� $p3n7 m� 733n493 �34r$ p�4�1n9 w17h (0mp�73r$ 4n� (0�73r $7r1|{3. 9/10

Or otherwise translated as:

I'm 27, work as a network engineer and spent my teenage years playing with computers and counter strike. 9/10

Having said that I may have to downgrade my status as I'm not entirely sure the 'kids' still use l33t these days.

I don't mean to brag, but I can get this typewriter that's hooked up to my word processor to show me everything on the interwebs on the TV screen thingy, so I guess I'm an A+ out of 10.

My computer say Atari 2600, and I love playing my 8 track tapes thru the sound system.

This reminds me of a friend who told me his grandfather from Alabama always refers to it as "that internet" (spoken in southern drawl). As in, "You can check the weather on that internet." Now, I often find myself referring to it in the same way.

Back