Terry Bozzio

I find that his melodic playing while amazing is a bit of an aquired taste if you would like to hear more conventional drumming from him check out his work with Zappa or Bozzio Levin Stevens great stuff.

Terry Bozzio was an immense inspiration for me in the 1970's (especially his work on Zoot Allures). His percussion style of drumming is technically way out there; he has risen the bar. Given these two types of drumming styles, I prefer his work with Frankie.

GJS

YouTube just recommended this video to me: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pRqy34qjcv0

Always remember the first time I saw Terry play when Uncle Frank toured Aust - I think it was 1975. He stunned me then with his technique, but since I've warmed more to his fluid feel and choices of sound. I'd say Zappa's I Promise Not to Come is my favourite Terry performance. Really lush drumming that works perfectly with the fabulous bass, guitar and keys.

Terry is currently conducting a clinic tour of the midwest sponsored by Tom Shelly's Universal Percussion. I was fortunate enough to be able to attend their Michigan appearance last night, hosted by my local drum shop.

It was a phenomenal evening. Tom warmed up the crowd playing percussion. He played along with recordings of some popular tunes and even brought drummers up from the audience to join in on percussion. He had a cool light show going as well and everyone dug it.

Then, Terry came out and played some ridiculous stuff. He really does think orchestrally. He didn't have the monster kit, but he had enough pieces to make some really musical statements. His creativity seems boundless, like he never runs out of ideas or repeats himself.

Terry talked a little about odd time signatures and then proceeded to play a couple more monster solos. At the end, Tom came out and joined him for some duets.

At the end of the night, Terry's wife was available to sell some of Terry's autographed drum heads.

I've always respected Terry, but you really have to see him live to appreciate how good he is. For all the melodic stuff he's become known for, he can also lay down a deep groove. He hits the drums HARD, and with total conviction. It's easy to understand why people want to play with him.

All in all, a great night. Thanks, Terry and Tom!

Exciting news!!!

Bozzio is touring Europe this fall.

Solo performances. And a few clinics.

Dates are listed here:

https://www.facebook.com/events/477153282367459/?fref=ts

Also found a great new interview with him on YouTube. Enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hsLoBQKLeOk&list=PLlczpwSXEOyZVmYAyDOLyfldnJGGDMoMI

Even though they are a minority here (No parades for them, please! ;-) ... To the peeps who feel they have to say negative shit about Terry: educate yourself! It is totally okay to not dig Terry's playing... or to possibly be offended by the size of his kit. But once you actually understand just what he does, and what is required on so many levels to pull it off: you will weep... Terry will go down in history as one of the most important drummers. Period.

Patrice

Terry's drumkit is kind of scary and makes my pants feel funny ;)

I know I am very late to the party here, but I recently started listening to Missing Persons. I was young when they were current, so I kind of missed it.

With that group, Terry set a very high bar for pop (New Wave) drumming. I would draw a parallel between he and Mark King, who did bass and vocals for Level 42, as far as successfully applying technical playing to a popular music situation. He stayed in the pocket and grooved when he needed to, and unleashed his chops when appropriate. I love his use of cymbals to add texture to his grooves.

It also doesn't hurt that I get a thrill every time Dale Bozzio does one of her squeaky hiccup things.

...in a semi-profile which emphasized the pootched out succulence off his insolent, pouting rictus, the sight of which drove the helpless drummer mad with desire!
punky-meadows.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gSUHGcVda0g

I'm not a drummer, but god do I love Bozzio era Zappa (well, I love most eras of Zappa, but...)!

I was lucky enough to see Terry play last night in Switzerland where I live. He had the monster kit and it is an impressive thing to see up close!

I respect Terry and his pedigree, but I didn't really know what to expect. Neither did my 11-year old son who came with me.

Well, it was magnificent!

Terry played a few pieces, then explained his approach (i.e the kit - kicks and right side toms tuned to white notes of the piano, left side toms tuned chromatically, playing pitched ostinatos with feet and melodies with hands). Then he took questions. He was charming and articulate, expanding and sharing his ideas and experience, and then he played some more pieces.

All of the pieces he played were not just 'impressive', but also genuinely great to listen to. The last piece was the highlight for me, where Terry mixed the 'new' orchestral approach with groovy beats and rhythmic fireworks.

All in all, a great night. Inspirational stuff. And now my son wants to spend more time practicing drums!

Bravo Terry.

I love watching Terry play, though admittedly, I take a lot of his more esoteric explanations with a grain of salt. I'm sure the things he says make complete sense to him, but they dont always translate above as they do below. :)

I can't help but laugh at "Add to Cart"

Basically he plays a 4pc the same as the big rig. He just has less voices to work with.

Never saw him live. He seems like a very articulate human being. Very thoughtful. I'd love to converse with him about some things, like religious philosophy.

I admit to not understanding why he's got six bass drums, given low end frequencies and how they don't translate into very well defined notes, much like differences between floor toms being somewhat muddled at times, save for single notes or slow playing.

I imagine he'll change cymbal structure again, at some point. Start getting into sounds not so dry. But maybe that's his mark now, and he likes that.

Terry is always experimenting, he's an inventor too and a very creative guy. He keep switching out drums, trying different things. Lots don't "get" him but he's deeply influenced by Zappa and by other orchestral composers. So he's translating that to the kit. So he needs a large kit to handle the music he's creating. He played some great stuff with Zappa and Jeff Beck and even with Uk and Missing Persons. I think those who discount him, just look at the large kit not at what he's done in his long career.

Last edited:
That was cool, I enjoyed it a lot - thanks for sharing.
Judging on an audio only version I'd never have thought that this is a cymbal only drumkit. Kudos for creativity.

If anyone subscribes to drum channel, there are some videos of Terry playing small kits as well as various odd set ups. This idea that he can't play a small kit is absurd.

Out of all of the drummers to play in Zappa's band, I think Terry had the fattest pocket. Just something about where that snare lands and his sound. For me, that's what I like about him more than the ostinato stuff which is amazing in itself.

Back