Brian Blade

H

Henry II

I've been listening to Joshua Redman's "Elastic" album with Brian Blade on drums. What an amazing musician BB is. IMHO, he is the heir to the great improvisational, musical drummers of the past. You never hear any chops wasted in his playing, only pure musical expression. There aren't many musicians, much less drummers, out there today playing like that.

Brian Blade is an undoubtedly amazing drummer. He can play a lot of styles extremely well. Check out the album "Directions in Music" with Michael Brecker, Herbie Hancock and Roy Hargrove. He plays great. Another really really good one is Gratitude by Chris Potter. He plays his butt off. Incredibly responsive and dynamic.

I guess Brian Blade doesn't score high enough on the Drumometer to get much attention around here.

Are you talking about BB of Night Ranger?

Blade is pretty much my favorite jazz drummer. Great feel, great musical phrasing and taste ... that's what does it for me!

Henry II said:
I've been listening to Joshua Redman's "Elastic" album with Brian Blade on drums. What an amazing musician BB is. IMHO, he is the heir to the great improvisational, musical drummers of the past. You never hear any chops wasted in his playing, only pure musical expression. There aren't many musicians, much less drummers, out there today playing like that.

Spot on Henry. Blade is certainly one of best of the newer jazz drummers out there. What I like is he accompanies and doesn't dominate. As you say that's a rare quality in drummers these days. There are some videos of him here as well.

Loved the Drumometer line, wish I had thought of it.

OZjazzer said:
Loved the Drumometer line, wish I had thought of it.
Now just when we were startin' to get along (lol).

Naw seriously, I think if Blade got too fast it would take the gate out of that New Orleans second line and that wouldn't be too good a thing.

What really gets me about Brian is the way he plays with so much color. His playing is always tasteful colorful and creative.

Ive heard that elastic band albulm and its great.

Well, that's 6 BB aficionados so far. That's pretty good but I expected a few more.

Saw Brian in Basingstoke (!) playing with Josh Redman a few years back, blew my head off, and made me realise just what it takes to drum jazz. Awesome player, nice guy too, saw him after the show.

jonescrusher said:
Saw Brian in Basingstoke (!) playing with Josh Redman a few years back, blew my head off, and made me realise just what it takes to drum jazz. Awesome player, nice guy too, saw him after the show.
IMO, He was the best musician in the Redman band, including Redman.

I saw Brian with Wayne Shorter a week ago At massey Hall in Toronto.He knocked the house out.These are the kind of chops you don't here very often.He plays his own musical way.Just beautiful.One of my favorite players.
To here him is great , to actually see him is something Henry , that you will really love.This guy , Brian Blade with John Patitucci is such a spiritual awakening.

Brian Blade is the master. He definately has his own sound. I really dig his stuff with Joshua Redman. Definately one of the best modern jazz drummers alive, well one of the best jazz drummers ever!!

SO what really gets me ... is it Brady or Brian Blade? I've seen a bunch of ads in magazines and online that have said both!

Brian and Blady Blade are two different people I believe.

IN those ads brady blade is advertised as playing for "Dave Mathews and Friends" while Brian Blade is obviously better known for his jazz drumming.

aahznightsky said:
SO what really gets me ... is it Brady or Brian Blade? I've seen a bunch of ads in magazines and online that have said both!

Brady Blade is Brian Blade's brother. Not sure if he's older or younger but they look very much alike.

Last night I witnessed a truly spectacular live show by Daniel Lanois with Brian Blade on Drums at Summerfest 2006 in Deep River, Ontario Canada. The show was an incredible experience. I knew we were in for something special when the drums were set up at the front of the stage and not in the back as we usually see. The drumming was nothing I had ever seen, his passion for playing was obvious. I found myself spending more time watching his movements and sequences more than actually watching Daniel Lanois. If you ever have the opportunity to see Brian Blade live,GO FOR IT........you will not be disappointed!

Oh man Brian Blade... what a monster. His playing on elastic is crazy, but I like him even more on Chris Potter's Gratitude. Also, not only is he an amazing drummer, he's an amazing composer/writer as well. Check out the two Brian Blade Fellowship albums: awsome rich, modal stuff. A definite must listen!

Back