Recommend a boom stand to solidly support a ride cymbal

dorfmeister

I need to get a boom stand to support a Sabian HH Medium Ride I want to suspend abovey 22" x 14" Ludwig Standard bass drum. I am new to boom stands amd want to make sure I choose one that can solidly support my ride.

I don't have any preferences as to brand and I figure on spending upwards of $100 for the stand. What I have for hardware already is a combination of DW 5000, 9000, and Pearl 1000 series. I'd like something at that level of stability and durability.....but which specific boom stands?

Any medium to heavy duty stand will do just fine.
That is what the stands are made for.
Chose one that you like and can afford from a major manufacturer of drums and hardware.

Any thoughts on the Gibraltar 9609-BT?

9609-BT-lg.jpg

Gibraltar doesn't make anything that isn't sturdy and more than up to the the task that it was intended for.
Hardware is all that they make.

One of my medium priced but heavy duty stands I use is the Pearl BC-900. They cost about $70 USD. I also have quite a few Tama Road Pro HC73 stands. They're just a bit lighter in weight than the Pearls, but very sturdy. Their pricing is about $80 USD. I don't like any of my stands to walk or wobble around and the two above are solid performers with "toothless" tilters for exact cymbal placement. Actually any good medium priced, medium weight boom stand should work fine for you.

Dennis

I can strongly recommend the Tama RoadPro. Great value. I prefer their stuff to Gibraltar, but all of these (Pearl, Gib, Tama) can do the job well for under $100.

Any thoughts on the Gibraltar 9609-BT?

9609-BT-lg.jpg

Gibraltar and Dixon as well as a couple others are all built in the same plant and have the same casting #'s. The exact same stand in the Gibraltar line can be had from Dixon for considerably less.

So anyway I finally got my boom stand put together.

I had a Roland PDS-10 stand sitting around. I had it to use with a Roland HPD-15 that I sold. I just took the attachment that supported the HPD-15 off and attached a gibraltar boom arm and it is a great stand. I'd say that it is about as heavy duty as the DW 5000 series stand that I have.

Really stable. Works fine.

Here is a stock picture of the PDS-10

roland_pds10.jpg

Here is a picture of my set-up with the ride on the boom.

6824802773_2bc2c88a83_b.jpg

Tama Roadpro for the win. If you're extra concerned then you can get the version with the boom arm counter weight.

Back